Threadripper 2 Retails for $1835?

Even though the price says $2,400 that is in CAD and that is $1,835USD

ryzen.thumb.PNG.31abc791c7b173bd57716e2b6d2ba216.PNG

AMD is having quite the umm... not losing streak? With Ryzen gen 1 they rose back from Bulldozer past with a punch. But with there desktop Ryzen gen 2 chips looking like a refresh that we are all to familiar with, (cough) Intel. It doesn't look the same for there higher end counter parts. "Threadripper 2990X flagship processor was recently spotted listed at a Canadian retailer" It is said to be a 32 core 64 thread processor with a price tag of $1,835 which is incomparable to anything Intel has to offer, at least when it comes to core count. The nearest Intel chip is the i9 7980XE with only 18 cores and a price tag of $1,879. The new Threadripper 2 chips are cheaper with almost double the cores. But there is a caveat, your going to need one hell of a cooler to tame this 250W beast.

Source: wccftech.com

I honestly don’t think cooling this thing is going to be as bad as people think. For example we’ve already had the FX-9590 which was 220w TDP and that cooled fine, and also people are managing to cool the 7980XE with its shitty TIM. You also have to take in to account that the Threadripper CPU has a lot of surface area to spread its heat over.

Considering this is a CPU with a very niche market, the price doesn't surprise me at all.

I don't think cooling will be an issue. GPU's have smaller packages, and they're cooled just fine.

Personally I hope we see some even more massive TR4 specific air coolers. Something that requires wire supports of some sort.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I can't wait to use this in 5 years when I can afford it. 

As much fun as this would be, I think my next build is going to be a 2600 anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's probably 1799USD for MSRP.

People were expecting a bit lower price, but 1800$ for a 32 core CPU is a steal.

The only question how much IPC loss when two dies are in "leach" mode

If this drops for $1799, hell, if it drops for $1999, it's going to be THE SHIT when it comes to things like video encoding and video rendering.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

People were expecting a bit lower price, but 1800$ for a 32 core CPU is a steal.

The only question how much IPC loss when two dies are in "leach" mode

On 6/21/2018 at 8:46 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

Intel went a "Segment for everyone!" approach, which actually opened up a lot of space for AMD, once they got back into the market. 

Then 1999USD, list price, makes sense. Since it's a Leech Mode for 16 cores, 4 channel memory and 64 PCIe. 1799USD would be the most aggressive I'd expect.

TR has had notably "seller friendly" pricing from AMD. 650USD is probably the price Microcenter actually pays for the product. This is part of the reason even AMD is quite surprised by how well the 1950X has sold. I get the feeling the 24c part probably sells best in the next round, rather than the 32c, but we'll see. We'll also see how aggressively AMD prices these.

Depending on what AMD knows they're bringing out next, they may just go hard and drop 16c at 899USD / 12c at 1299 USD / 32c at 1599USD. HEDT has suddenly gotten amazing.

!!!

Never forget, 2 years ago Intel wanted this much money for 10 cores

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

3 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Never forget, 2 years ago Intel wanted this much money for 10 cores

There was an interview with Mark Papermaster, AMD's CTO, about TR2 stuff. While he was dodging the "how many did you sell?" questions, he got really wide-eyed around the 1950X. Apparently it sold more than the other two combined. AMD very much appreciates the adoption of the ~500USD Margin products into the Workstation market.

well already have 32GB of RAM, now i just need the core count. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There was an interview with Mark Papermaster, AMD's CTO, about TR2 stuff. While he was dodging the "how many did you sell?" questions, he got really wide-eyed around the 1950X. Apparently it sold more than the other two combined. AMD very much appreciates the adoption of the ~500USD Margin products into the Workstation market.

That wouldn't even shock me, because even at its MSRP it offered a lot to its target market, and even if it couldn't surpass a comparable Xeon in straight performance, it most certainly had the price tag to negate that to many.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

That wouldn't even shock me, because even at its MSRP it offered a lot to its target market, and even if it couldn't surpass a comparable Xeon in straight performance, it most certainly had the price tag to negate that to many.

The 1950X and i9-7900X run pretty close in AVX workloads, with the 1950X normally winning in the really well multi-threaded applications. Both were actually well-priced products, but it's hard to look beyond "16 cores is more than 10 cores". Especially when it actually worked with Bulldozer...somehow.

8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I think because of the high memory & board costs, the 8c SKU was probably DOA. When you're already in for ~1400USD just for the lowest cost entry point (1900X + Mobo + 4x RAM), the 300-400USD extra to go from 8c to 16c (Especially on the 800USD Black Friday sales) is just the proper economic choice.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The 1950X and i9-7900X run pretty close in AVX workloads, with the 1950X normally winning in the really well multi-threaded applications. Both were actually well-priced products, but it's hard to look beyond "16 cores is more than 10 cores". Especially when it actually worked with Bulldozer...somehow.

Hang on I have to do the updated Bulldozer math conversion (Zen math), 16 cores / number of CCX / number of dies = 2. 1950X has 2 real cores unless I did the math wrong :P.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I think because of the high memory & board costs, the 8c SKU was probably DOA. When you're already in for ~1400USD just for the lowest cost entry point (1900X + Mobo + 4x RAM), the 300-400USD extra to go from 8c to 16c (Especially on the 800USD Black Friday sales) is just the proper economic choice.

Gonna nail both posts here.

Bulldozer would've worked had its future made sense. But well, it didn't, and rather than shooting for the stars it shot its foot instead.

Yeah, by the entry point of Threadripper, there's no reason to get the 8 core CPU unless the lanes are REEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLYYYYYY necessary. Unless you needed that, and I mean needed that, the 1700(X) was the better choice at that price point.

Kinda reminds me of an jet, the Lockheed L-1011, where the DC-10 was significantly cheaper and performed similarly but wasn't as advanced and the 747 wasn't that much more expensive and could carry more.

Good price for a 32 core CPU.

What is the market for this product? 

Maybe people running servers with lots of VMs?

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Good price for a 32 core CPU.

What is the market for this product? 

Maybe people running servers with lots of VMs?

Local render box would be my assumption. VMs work as well, though it wouldn't be great for heavy VMs. But if you need a lot of local ones, that's pretty dang cheap way to do it. Though it's whatever you can use 16c for, 32c should work "better". 

4 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

I honestly don’t think cooling this thing is going to be as bad as people think. For example we’ve already had the FX-9590 which was 220w TDP and that cooled fine, and also people are managing to cool the 7980XE with its shitty TIM. You also have to take in to account that the Threadripper CPU has a lot of surface area to spread its heat over.

Plus dat solder.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Considering this is a CPU with a very niche market, the price doesn't surprise me at all.

I don't think cooling will be an issue. GPU's have smaller packages, and they're cooled just fine.

Personally I hope we see some even more massive TR4 specific air coolers. Something that requires wire supports of some sort.

that i can then procede to strap to some I7 or something :P dont think i can really return to air after having gone to water now tho

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Hang on I have to do the updated Bulldozer math conversion (Zen math), 16 cores / number of CCX / number of dies = 2. 1950X has 2 real cores unless I did the math wrong :P.

Can't tell if joking or not.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Did I forget to carry the 1?

Threadripper2 has Up To 32 real cores -_-

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),