Threadripper 2 Retails for $1835?

1 hour ago, MMKing said:

Seems we are getting the 12 core ''cheap'' option. I'm a bit curious if the ''W'' has any noteworthy meaning, or if it's just added for marketing purposes.

Guessing it just means a threadripper with leech mode enabled to allow for greater than 16 cores

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

@VegetableStu

The details were never added. These are just blank URLs with the headline text and the generic ''knowledge base'' section.

1950x support page

https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-threadripper-processors/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x

This is how it should look.

+ Drivers

+ Specification such as core count, clock speeds, cache, tdp and other important information.

+ memory information

+ key features

+ foundation

The support pages for the 2900 series of TR CPUs are intentionally left blank of all key information. The URL has simply been reserved in the AMD system, and the information will be added at a later date.

There is still some interesting information however. The existence of a 2920x being one of them, and the other the ''WX'' naming scheme added to the 2970WX and the 2990WX which may or may not have any noteworthy meaning.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Hehehe. The used market is going to get interesting. And I just bought this 4770 :P

My next CPU I want at least 12 cores at higher clocks. I'm willing to wait and AMD is bringing this over to the great unwashed 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

2950X is the 1950X replacement, looks like AMD just dropped the 8 core SKU in the update since it really was pointless.

AMD will have supply of those bin of CPUs just because Epyc will be in production for several more years. They can keep it stocked with low runs every few months, I imagine. It'll be around for a while.

20 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

dammit AMD removed the details ._. any cached pages?

also @Crab Puncher

It's not been removed. Someone just found the listings via checking for pages and getting an improper return. Basically, they don't 404 out.

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

ahh dang. was wondering where did he get the 12 core detail. then i remembered the OP text

,_,

They launch in like 2 weeks, so we'll have details soon enough.

Expect a bit of a clock speed bump, probably 100 Mhz base / 200 Mhz boost, but the main thing will be the improved cache. Some of the Clock Cycle stuff was already in Threadripper, so it's probably about a 2% IPC increase rather than 3%, but it'll be interesting to see the effect on things like h.265 encoding.

Would love to waste money on it but not justifiable at all for my workloads. (Gaming and streaming)

The 1st gen was much worse than it's Intel counterparts in that regard.

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

28 minutes ago, MrShinny said:

Would love to waste money on it but not justifiable at all for my workloads. (Gaming and streaming)

The 1st gen was much worse than it's Intel counterparts in that regard.

Cores are quickly becoming the next PSU.  "I need 1600W for my dual core single gpu build!" -> "I need 32 cores because I use 4 tabs in Chrome!"

And of course everyone became a pro twitch streamer youtuber, correlated with Ryzen's launch.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

28 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

And of course everyone became a pro twitch streamer youtuber, correlated with Ryzen's launch.

No everyone because a professional in video and at lauch 7700ks were literally completely unusable. Twitch streaming came a week later.

Were this I need 32 cores and 64GB of RAM came from I will never know. 99% of people can get by without a hiccup with a 7700k and 8GB of RAM. 

17 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

No everyone because a professional in video and at lauch 7700ks were literally completely unusable. Twitch streaming came a week later.

Were this I need 32 cores and 64GB of RAM came from I will never know. 99% of people can get by without a hiccup with a 7700k and 8GB of RAM. 

IMO if you want to enter HEDT for streaming most will start with the 2920x, 2950x or 7800x, 7820x 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I wish there was this much criticism directed towards Intel over the years. Intel released their first 6 core CPU June 2010, and did not release an 8 core until August 2014. AMD released a 16 core August 10th last year, and is set to release a 32 core CPU sometime August 2018.

Having run out of things to complain about. It seems people have resorted to complaining by proxy, stating that software is not yet able to match the amount of cores AMD is bringing to the table. Well who do we blame for that? Who made over 10 billions a year in income from 2010 to 2016 (except 2013) and kept releasing the same 4 core options every single year?

If Intel actually innovated these last 8 years, we would not be in this situation where every single software developer has been optimizing for 4/6 cores these last 8 years.

8 hours ago, Nicnac said:

U HAS 2?? :o

Reveal hidden contents

(all running world community grid I hope ^^)

Yes, a 1900X and 1950X, my sig actually shows all the CPUs I own currently.  And, I am sitting wanting to add more to my collection (hunting for an used 5960X J batch currently since my previous 5960X died on me).

Not doing any BOINC atm.  The heat here in Florida is making my A/C crank up the electric bill currently.  Once cooler weather shows back up, then all my rigs will be back to crunching.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

4 hours ago, MMKing said:

Correction, the MSRP of the 28 core Xeon 8176 CPU is about 8719 dollars. It clocks at 2.1GHZ all core, and 3.8GHZ single core.

Just a slight correction, it will boost all cores up to 2.8GHz, 2.4GHz under AVX2 and 1.9GHz with AVX-512. Also, single core boosts are 3.8, 3.6 and 3.5GHz respectively.

@Dylanc1500 Which is 2.2GHZ lower than advertised on stage xD

2 minutes ago, MMKing said:

@Dylanc1500 Which is 2.2GHZ lower than advertised on stage xD

I'm not going into that discussion on this thread as it is off-topic. I wanted to make the correction in case someone else came by and read it. I just don't want someone getting the wrong information.

57 minutes ago, MMKing said:

If Intel actually innovated these last 8 years, we would not be in this situation where every single software developer has been optimizing for 4/6 cores these last 8 years.

Most apps still arnt coded for more than one core to this day....so how would expect them to code for 8+ cores

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

2950X is the 1950X replacement, looks like AMD just dropped the 8 core SKU in the update since it really was pointless.

You're greatly mistaken, the 1900X will remain in production and sell, it is actually the best value for money to any one who needs PCI-e lanes specifically above all things and has in many threads orientated to this end been the decision taken by the OP, there was simply not reason to update it as it's already the finished product people need it for.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I'm guessing 1900x production figures will depend largely on the popularity and the price of the alleged 2920x 12 core. If once again, the price jump from 1900x to 2920x is not substantial, as was the case with 1900x to 1920x. The 1900x probably won't see many sales. In fact, if they were gonna continue selling the 1900x i would have imagined there would be a re-brand at least with some token clock speed increase.

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

You're greatly mistaken, the 1900X will remain in production and sell, it is actually the best value for money to any one who needs PCI-e lanes specifically above all things and has in many threads orientated to this end been the decision taken by the OP, there was simply not reason to update it as it's already the finished product people need it for.

Even AMD have stated the 1900X has not sold well, since it hasn't no surprise it's not getting updated to Zen+. It'll go end of life once Zen dies stop production, which won't happen for a while because EPYC is staying on that until Zen 2.

If it makes any sense it's only now after decent price drops otherwise Ryzen or 1920X is a wiser purchase, percentage of system increase from 1900X to 1920X isn't much at all.

Interestingly, the TDP for the 2950x is MUCH lower than the 1950x, at least from the leaks we have. 125W vs 180W but the base clock is also lower..... not exactly sure why they would do this but I can see them trying to fit the 16core into OEM workstations with tighter thermal envelopes

https://videocardz.com/76872/hwbot-adds-amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990x-2970x-and-2950x

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

19 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Intel was selling 10 core cpus for that price not that long ago with the 6950x. 32 cores for 1800 is an extremely good deal for what you get. This cpu has more cores than Intel's flag ship Xeon that costs 10000 with 28 cores. I mean it is a consumer product so it doenst have some of the things a commercial cpu would have but for the price it is definitely a good deal. But you will also need a reason to have 32 cores to justify it as well. 

not sure why you quoted me, but yes that exactly what i was going for.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

17 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I can't even launch fortnite with 4 tabs on chrome and 16gb of ram haha

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

rekt

1 minute ago, MrShinny said:

I can't even launch fortnite with 4 tabs on chrome and 16gb of ram haha

Then you have a problem with your PC. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Then you have a problem with your PC. 

It was an exaggeration...

rekt

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

Even AMD have stated the 1900X has not sold well, since it hasn't no surprise it's not getting updated to Zen+. It'll go end of life once Zen dies stop production, which won't happen for a while because EPYC is staying on that until Zen 2.

If it makes any sense it's only now after decent price drops otherwise Ryzen or 1920X is a wiser purchase, percentage of system increase from 1900X to 1920X isn't much at all.

Oddly, I think the 1900X will hit EOL the last of the TR1 or TR2 models, but AMD will only do irregular production runs. Buts that's because Epyc will be in production for something like the next 5 years.