1+2+3 = 24? On iOS 11 it does

vanished

Source: https://qz.com/1114019/if-you-type-123-into-your-apple-iphones-calculator-on-ios-11-you-probably-wont-get-6-aapl/

So apparently the new version of the calculator app in iOS 11 has an issue with typing too fast.

According to a group of eagle-eyed iPhone users on Reddit who spotted the issue, it seems to be because of a new animation in the calculator app, where a button briefly fades to white when you press it. The result is that if you press an operator button (i.e., the plus sign) before the short animation finishes, the app ignores it. So, 1 + 2 + 3 accidentally gets read as 1 + 23.

This is just laughable.  This is beyond a "bug", or even a design flaw, this is just inexcusable.  Even an inexperienced comp-sci student should be capable of avoiding an issue like this.  To see this kind of thing from what supposedly is a world-class software and hardware company just boggles the mind.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Quick maffs!

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

inb4 excuses/sympathy/downplaying

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

inb4 excuses

I can't imagine anyone coming up with a valid one.  Even a small amount of testing should have revealed this relatively easy to reproduce issue, and that's ignoring the fact it shouldn't exist in the first place.  Rendering animations and taking input should not be able to jam each other... this is really basic stuff as anyone who has programmed at even a slightly sophisticated level knows.

Just now, IamODIN said:

God knows what other flaw there is on that os smh

That's the thing, it really does make you wonder....

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

That's funny xD 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

I just tried this on my iPhone 5S and it's super easy to recreate. You don't even have to type it all that quick xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

the ting goes skraaa 2+2 minus 1 is 3

Dammit, you beat me to it!

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Behold the Apple loyal defenders of the LTT community coming in 3... 2... 1....

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

So does this only happen with this combination, or any number and operation will have this issue? I agree the animation should be minimum to none. I find this issue not only in calculator but other situations as well. when i try to open an app and do sth quickly, it wont register becuz of the animation doesnt finish, not the phone is lag.

But to be fair this will only happen if you are doing single digit calculation, which you should be smart enough to do it by ur brain not a calculator.

This is why we need minimalist Scandinavian designs without animations and RGB!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

So does this only happen with this combination, or any number and operation will have this issue? I agree the animation should be minimum to none. I find this issue not only in calculator but other situations as well. when i try to open an app and do sth quickly, it wont register becuz of the animation doesnt finish, not the phone is lag.

But to be fair this will only happen if you are doing single digit calculation, which you should be smart enough to do it by ur brain not a calculator.

Presumably it would be any calculation.  And the issue isn't the length of the animation, it's that somehow they managed to write it in a way where, presumably, the animation is rendered in the same thread that takes input from the user so one action must complete before another begins.  This is beyond amateur... -_-

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Presumably it would be any calculation.  And the issue isn't the length of the animation, it's that somehow they managed to write it in a way where, presumably, the animation is rendered in the same thread that takes input from the user so one action must complete before another begins.  This is beyond amateur... -_-

ic. this is why. so this issue shouldve been found so much earlier. like other said a 5s has this issue, my 6 plus has this issue and now the new iphone also. they didnt change this for a good 4 generations. And as i said, it doesnt appear in calculator only, it happens to me all the time when i try to use the phone fast.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Source: https://qz.com/1114019/if-you-type-123-into-your-apple-iphones-calculator-on-ios-11-you-probably-wont-get-6-aapl/

So apparently the new version of the calculator app in iOS 11 has an issue with typing too fast.

This is just laughable.  This is beyond a "bug", or even a design flaw, this is just inexcusable.  Even an inexperienced comp-sci student should be capable of avoiding an issue like this.  To see this kind of thing from what supposedly is a world-class software and hardware company just boggles the mind.

Just tested this on my iPhone 6s w/ latest iOS 11 update.

Confirmed. Man that's weak sauce lol

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Is it an inexcusable bug?  Hell yeah.  Fix it, Apple.  But it's definitely funny to see some people twisting themselves into hysterics, as if this is some kind of company-ending flaw.  No, it's not.  Apple will fix it; people will move on.

4 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

ic. this is why. so this issue shouldve been found so much earlier. like other said a 5s has this issue, my 6 plus has this issue and now the new iphone also. they didnt change this for a good 4 generations. And as i said, it doesnt appear in calculator only, it happens to me all the time when i try to use the phone fast.

Well it's in the latest version of IOS regardless of the hardware gen so it's a new issue, not like it's something that's been around forever unnoticed.

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Is it an inexcusable bug?  Hell yeah.  Fix it, Apple.  But it's definitely funny to see some people twisting themselves into hysterics, as if this is some kind of company-ending flaw.  No, it's not.  Apple will fix it; people will move on.

I don't think anyone really thinks this will seriously impact Apple in any meaningful way in the long term, nor is anyone "twisting themselves into hysterics" :P

But it does make you think, if they can mess up something this simple, what else is lurking under the hood... ?

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well it's in the latest version of IOS regardless of the hardware gen so it's a new issue, not like it's something that's been around forever unnoticed.

mine is on ios10 i think. i used 6 plus for a year and half before i switch to s7 this July. notice my action dont get register all the time, i bet ios11 wasnt out by that time.

6 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

mine is on ios10 i think. i used 6 plus for a year and half before i switch to s7 this July. notice my action dont get register all the time, i bet ios11 wasnt out by that time.

no, iOS 11 was more recent, it launched hand-in-hand with the recent iPHone 8 iirc, which was in September, well after July.

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

For whatever reason it'll read fast button presses for signs as not being there, or rather, likely being being ignored.

Yes, that is the story.  How much of the OP did you read? :P

this is why I am not on IOS 11 yet. will stick with 10 till most of the bugs are fixed then i will upgrade my 5s for the last major update.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

31 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

God knows what other flaw there is on that os smh

Samsung ftw 

yeah cause they don't make the OS xDxDxD seriously though samsung's touchwiz was the biggest shittiest version of android for the longest time

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz