8700k benchmarks leaked.

ravenshrike

Thanks to WCCFTech we have leaked benchmarks for the 8700k. Specifically Fritz Chess, wPrime 2.10@32m, and Cinebench R11.5 and R15. Given single threaded performance, it's pretty damned clear this is nothing more than Kaby Lake with 6 cores and a higher base JEDEC clock. There is no IPC increase whatsoever.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-cpu-benchmarks-leak-faster-than-8-core-ryzen/

Impressive chip! I really hope that they get the pricing right -_-

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

at this point Intel's IPC is useless unless they can price it right and I don't think they can. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Pretty impressive in my opinion. 2 cores and 4 threads more and only 4W TDP increase, hope they fixed the thermal issues from the kaby lake series (you're nearly forced to delid it if you want fair temps)

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

10 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Impressive chip! I really hope that they get the pricing right -_-

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

at this point Intel's IPC is useless unless they can price it right and I don't think they can. 

Well at these benchmarks it's clearly worth at least $700 per chip, wouldn't want people to get them at a reasonable price or anything now would we :P 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, wolfsbane3083 said:

Hmm, still no need to upgrade from 4790k then.

preeetty much

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

at least its not the idiotic 5% year on year anymore, thats the "AMD effect"

if 8700k is going for 350$ on shelves then we are in for some great competition ahead

im really hyper about ryzen+ hopefully next year release with at least 10% IPC improvement and all the quirks worked out that current ryzen had, and better silicon to reach 4.5ghz then AMD will truly be neck and neck with intel's offerings

8 minutes ago, yian88 said:

im really hyper about ryzen+ hopefully next year release with at least 10% IPC improvement and all the quirks worked out that current ryzen had, and better silicon to reach 4.5ghz then AMD will truly be neck and neck with intel's offerings

I'm hopeful about zen+, I recall hearing amd engineers have lots of small things they wanted to tweak with Ryzen but just couldn't that can be done then. Plus 7nm is gonna mean smaller dies and so lower prices/moar cores and maybe higher clock speeds.

It's just like the original Athlon and (sort of) phenom. The first gen product was GOOD, but not amazing. It was the second gen product (Athlon 64) that really destroyed Intel and prompted quite a bit of innovation in the form of Core 2. 

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how the CPU market turns out in the next few years. We've had amd putting out dumb CPUs for too long and now finally something exciting is happening.

It's funny how roles have reversed, past few years it was amd giving Nvidia a hard time in GPUs and now it feel so like amd is giving Intel a hard time and struggling with GPUs.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Meh. I was hoping for at least 200 points in R15 at stock speeds for a single core but it is even lower than 7700k. Looks like my 4770k will stay another year if these rumors are true.

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

At this point, we know how screwed AMD is if "Zen2" isnt a big leap forward in performance.

sure, the 1700X is A LOT slower then the 8700k... but 9700k will be a die shrink, along with a totally rebuilt core. Intel already showed some of the cache changes they did in their Xeons to match what AMD did with their cache system. The result was a pretty solid performance increase across the board. Now, 10nm is supposed to be the end of the "core" architecture. Whatever Intel has in the works could sink AMD if they arent extremely aggressive on price.

16 minutes ago, yian88 said:

at least 10% IPC improvement and all the quirks worked out that current ryzen had

I don't think that we will get an IPC improvement TBH, it will probably be Ryzen with higher overclocks (and hopefully, a better IMC), which is also very nice :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

sure, the 1700X is A LOT slower then the 8700k.

Based on what and in what workloads exactly? All we have is a few leaked benchmarks. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Now, 10nm is supposed to be the end of the "core" architecture.

It is? I was always under the impression that Intel was planning for MCM with 10nm, with that being the main innovation.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Based on what and in what workloads exactly? All we have is a few leaked benchmarks. 

Basically extend the performance difference of the 7700k vs the 1500X across the board. Course, that still requires you to jump in bed with Intel and its pretty clear that the only reason for Kaby Lake was so they could justify Skylake X.

34 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I gotta side with this.  At this point the price point is ALL that mattes.  Ever since Sandy Bridge each generation has just been 'A little bit faster and a little bit more power efficient'. This is the first generation since Sandy Bridge where we Intel might have is going 'Wow, all that for only that much money?  Ooo.' which only AMD has is saying now.

in canada:

$480 for 7700k, will be $480 for 8700k assuming no MSRP change

$380 for ryzen 1700, only slightly less IPC and 2 more cores. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, wolfsbane3083 said:

Another point is, is it really worthwhile to do a full system upgrade to this platform when cannonlake will probably require yet another new motherboard.

Short answer: no!

Slightly longer answer: no, unless your system is broken and you really need a system right now! (Still, Ryzen is probably a better call)

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Are these are all stock clocks on those benches? I assume so.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Maybe now the forum will finally believe me. Been saying there was going to be no IPC increase with CFL, and people kept throwing out "7% higher IPC" just because Intel said it was "7% faster". Intel also said Kaby was 13% faster than Skylake, lol.

I see Intel did pull the 8700k's base clock back by 100mhz (initial info was 3.8ghz base), they might have had a difficult time hitting TDP ratings otherwise. Either that, or this ES is 100mhz slower than what will launch, but it doesn't matter. I completely expect 4.8-5ghz to be possible with these chips due to the slightly larger die making heat transfer easier (assuming your cooling is not the bottleneck).

As I said before, if you already own a 6700k or 7700k, and are not in need of additional threads, you have no need to worry about upgrading to CFL. Your CPU will be plenty fast for gaming, and you didn't make a terrible purchase decision just because Intel came out with more cores later. As long as you feel you got your money's worth, then that's all that matters. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

7 minutes ago, MageTank said:

As I said before, if you already own a 6700k or 7700k, and are not in need of additional threads, you have no need to worry about upgrading to CFL. Your CPU will be plenty fast for gaming, and you didn't make a terrible purchase decision just because Intel came out with more cores later. As long as you feel you got your money's worth, then that's all that matters. 

Just 6700k and 7700k? I don't see any reason to retire my 4790k. It's about 10–15% slower compared to a 7700k. So how much faster is a 8700k (allegedly)? Another 5-10% maybe depending on the application (if not slower in some single core cases)? Well, thanks, but no thanks. Switching from older systems means basically getting an enitrely new core system: board, cpu and ram. That's about 650-700$? For 15–20% you most likely don't miss since gaming performance won't differ as much as synthetic benchmark loads? I call that a horrible deal.

If you need additional cores and threads: go Ryzen 7 since it's a better deal. If you need even more than that: go Threadripper since X299 is a stupid plattform as it seems. If your system gets the job done as of now: don't do anything about it and 4th generation i7s still work like a charm.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 hour ago, jnkokseby said:

Pretty impressive in my opinion. 2 cores and 4 threads more and only 4W TDP increase, hope they fixed the thermal issues from the kaby lake series (you're nearly forced to delid it if you want fair temps)

Eh, this is going to use around 45% more power than the 7700k, unless the 14nm++ node has seen a massive power reduction, which is unlikely.

Still, this is going to be around 375USD tray, so probably around 400USD consumer. Delid it, toss an AIO on and clock it to 5 Ghz. You won't need to upgrade your gaming PC for the next 5 years.

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

at least its not the idiotic 5% year on year anymore, thats the "AMD effect"

if 8700k is going for 350$ on shelves then we are in for some great competition ahead

Unfortunately rumour has it it will be 400$, and given that the 300$ 1700 beats it in cinebench I think the 350$ 1700x will be a better value overall.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*