8700k benchmarks leaked.

ravenshrike
Just now, bowrilla said:

Just 6700k and 7700k? I don't see any reason to retire my 4790k. It's about 10–15% slower compared to a 7700k. So how much faster is a 8700k (allegedly)? Another 5-10% maybe depending on the application (if not slower in some single core cases)? Well, thanks, but no thanks. Switching from older systems means basically getting an enitrely new core system: board, cpu and ram. That's about 650-700$? For 15–20% you most likely don't miss since gaming performance won't differ as much as synthetic benchmark loads? I call that a horrible deal.

If you need additional cores and threads: go Ryzen 7 since it's a better deal. If you need even more than that: go Threadripper since X299 is a stupid plattform as it seems. If your system gets the job done as of now: don't do anything about it and 4th generation i7s still work like a charm.

I mentioned the 6700k and 7700k specifically because this forum has been rather depressed over "just buying a new i7 weeks ago, only for this launch to happen". They now feel like they were scammed, or that they somehow wasted money buying the fastest consumer CPU out at the time. The irony being, these very same people kept complaining generation after generation that Intel was not bringing more cores or doing anything new for the consumer lineup. They didn't understand that this was bound to happen, and that no matter what, they would eventually release a consumer i7 that was faster than their current i7.

I also would not upgrade if I had a Haswell i7, unless you needed better M.2 NVMe support, and even then, X299 would probably be a better deal for someone that needs the PCIe lanes. The same can be said for Ryzen, if you don't mind taking a per-core performance hit on top of a fairly large clock speed disadvantage (overclock vs overclock). 

Don't worry about justifying Haswell. Just because I did not mention it by name, does not mean it's not a strong i7. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Eh, this is going to use around 45% more power than the 7700k, unless the 14nm++ node has seen a massive power reduction, which is unlikely.

Still, this is going to be around 375USD tray, so probably around 400USD consumer. Delid it, toss an AIO on and clock it to 5 Ghz. You won't need to upgrade your gaming PC for the next 5 years.

Pretty much this but I'd save substantially and do that for the 8600k instead: 6 cores 6 threads should be more than enough for also 4 or 5 years if you ask me: We're gonna be back to having enough cores not to recommend hyperthreading or SMT for most gamers anyways. It's nice that you get that for free with AMD on most midrange and up SKUs but most should be fine with just 6/6

-------

Current Rig

-------

21 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I completely expect 4.8-5ghz to be possible with these chips due to the slightly larger die making heat transfer easier (assuming your cooling is not the bottleneck).

We'll have to see if they soldered the die to the heatspreader, because if we get the usual craptastic tim I expect this to run HOT.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I mentioned the 6700k and 7700k specifically because this forum has been rather depressed over "just buying a new i7 weeks ago, only for this launch to happen". They now feel like they were scammed, or that they somehow wasted money buying the fastest consumer CPU out at the time. The irony being, these very same people kept complaining generation after generation that Intel was not bringing more cores or doing anything new for the consumer lineup. They didn't understand that this was bound to happen, and that no matter what, they would eventually release a consumer i7 that was faster than their current i7.

I also would not upgrade if I had a Haswell i7, unless you needed better M.2 NVMe support, and even then, X299 would probably be a better deal for someone that needs the PCIe lanes. The same can be said for Ryzen, if you don't mind taking a per-core performance hit on top of a fairly large clock speed disadvantage (overclock vs overclock). 

Don't worry about justifying Haswell. Just because I did not mention it by name, does not mean it's not a strong i7. 

Agreed. I think we can agree on the rule for buying tech: if you can wait, just wait until you can't wait any longer.

Most people will not benefit from the additional cores as of today. Buying a new cpu with additional cores you most likely won't use is a waste of money. At the point at which you'd benefit from those there'd be a better, newer, faster cpu on the market (talking about average gamers). 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

We'll have to see if they soldered the die to the heatspreader, because if we get the usual craptastic tim I expect this to run HOT.

They won't be soldered. The die is larger though, and your current 115x delid tools will still work. I should have specified that my numbers were to be considered delidded and on water. 

Also, I did get some good news today. The 12c X299 chip is going to be the best overclocking X299 chip due to it's larger die. The die is massive compared to even the 10c X299 SKU. While it still won't be soldered, it's nice to know that not all of the X299 chips are going to be absolute garbage in the thermal department. If Der8auer can get his delid tool ironed out, it will be a great alternative for the consumers that want more cores without compromising on clock speeds, so long as they have a decent custom loop. 

For these 6 core CPU's, I'd say 4.8ghz for your delidded AIO users, and 5ghz for the delidded custom loop users. Maybe a little higher for the better binned chips. 

Just now, bowrilla said:

Agreed. I think we can agree on the rule for buying tech: if you can wait, just wait until you can't wait any longer.

Most people will not benefit from the additional cores as of today. Buying a new cpu with additional cores you most likely won't use is a waste of money. At the point at which you'd benefit from those there'd be a better, newer, faster cpu on the market (talking about average gamers). 

Yeah. Honestly, Icelake is where things become interesting again. FIVR is coming back, we get a more mature 10nm (Cannon's 10nm is going to likely come with some drawbacks, so waiting for the second iteration is just smart) and we will likely see AVX3 on a consumer platform. If people can hold out until then, it might be worth upgrading at that time. 

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Pretty much this but I'd save substantially and do that for the 8600k instead: 6 cores 6 threads should be more than enough for also 4 or 5 years if you ask me: We're gonna be back to having enough cores not to recommend hyperthreading or SMT for most gamers anyways. It's nice that you get that for free with AMD on most midrange and up SKUs but most should be fine with just 6/6

Good point. At 6 real cores, it's hard to saturate that. Plus, might save $50 USD for your trouble. Still, delid + AIO and some 3200 ram, and this system is going to be set for a long, long time.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

They won't be soldered. The die is larger though, and your current 115x delid tools will still work. I should have specified that my numbers were to be considered delidded and on water. 

Also, I did get some good news today. The 12c X299 chip is going to be the best overclocking X299 chip due to it's larger die. The die is massive compared to even the 10c X299 SKU. While it still won't be soldered, it's nice to know that not all of the X299 chips are going to be absolute garbage in the thermal department. If Der8auer can get his delid tool ironed out, it will be a great alternative for the consumers that want more cores without compromising on clock speeds, so long as they have a decent custom loop. 

For these 6 core CPU's, I'd say 4.8ghz for your delidded AIO users, and 5ghz for the delidded custom loop users. Maybe a little higher for the better binned chips. 

I would assume the 12 core is just the 18 or 20 core chip with part of it disabled, so it makes sense the size to logic ratio would be large.

I'm not sure we can count delidding, after all it's something most users won't be comfortable doing to their 400$ cpu, nor with custom water cooling. I guess it would be good for the tinkerers though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, wolfsbane3083 said:

Hmm, still no need to upgrade from 4790k then.

I upgraded TO a 4790K pretty recently. There is really no reason to go to anything more modern if you are just gaming and multitasking and already have DDR3

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I would assume the 12 core is just the 18 or 20 core chip with part of it disabled, so it makes sense the size to logic ratio would be large.

I'm not sure we can count delidding, after all it's something most users won't be comfortable doing to their 400$ cpu, nor with custom water cooling. I guess it would be good for the tinkerers though.

It is. So it'll have 1/3rd of its cores disabled. The core designs are 10, 18 & 28 for Intel this Skylake-SP cycle. Skylake-X 6 through 10 cores are from the 10c design; 12c through 18c from the 18c design.

Just now, Sauron said:

We've counted delidding as far back as the original Haswell's, so I continue to count it now. I am talking limitations of the silicon itself while staying above ambient, so that includes removing other limitations to reach that limitation. While you are certainly correct that most people will not be delidding or running custom loops on these, those that want to get the most out of their CPU, are certainly going to want to do so. 

I cannot speak for everyone, since I am dumb enough to delid my pentiums, but it is safe to assume your enthusiasts are always going to delid, and that they tend to be the ones that people  base their opinions of hardware on. Even reviewers are starting to delid more often now. Hopefully Intel gets the hint, and comes up with a way to alleviate this problem without risking longevity of their hardware in the process. Perhaps a mechanism to remove your IHS without the need of delid tools or vices/razors. Sadly, I doubt Intel would let the average joe have access to the very fragile die of a CPU. RMA due to user error would be through the roof. 

I never trust that site. They're always the first with leaks and NDA material. Ussually the same writer as well. And later it ending up being fake.

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Impressive chip! I really hope that they get the pricing right -_-

how is that impressive?

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

At this point, we know how screwed AMD is if "Zen2" isnt a big leap forward in performance.

sure, the 1700X is A LOT slower then the 8700k... but 9700k will be a die shrink, along with a totally rebuilt core. Intel already showed some of the cache changes they did in their Xeons to match what AMD did with their cache system. The result was a pretty solid performance increase across the board. Now, 10nm is supposed to be the end of the "core" architecture. Whatever Intel has in the works could sink AMD if they arent extremely aggressive on price.

In theory, AMD can increase clocks by nearly 50% while maintaining the same efficiency by going to 7 nm.

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

how is that impressive?

1. It beats/matches the 1700 in multithreaded tests, despite having 2 fewer cores
  2. It performs better than an overclocked 5820K/6800K/1600(X) at stock speeds

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:
  1. It beats/matches the 1700 in multithreaded tests, despite having 2 fewer cores
  2. It performs better than an overclocked 5820K/6800K/1600(X) at stock speeds

1. it matches the 1700 which is going to be $80 cheaper.

if you mean while gaming, that's been pretty much a given forever, the 7700k already did that and it's msrp was $50 lower then the 8700k.

A well-clocked 8700k will be the new 2600/2700k imo. Build one of those with some fast ram and you won't need another gaming system for about 6-7 years easily, possibly longer...

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

1. it matches the 1700 which is going to be $80 cheaper.

if you mean while gaming, that's been pretty much a given forever, the 7700k already did that and it's msrp was $50 lower then the 8700k.

I'm sorry, but do we do not know the MSRP of the 8700K. If it costs the same as the 7700K ($330) it's going to be VERY competitive.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

Basically extend the performance difference of the 7700k vs the 1500X across the board. Course, that still requires you to jump in bed with Intel and its pretty clear that the only reason for Kaby Lake was so they could justify Skylake X.

How do you figure? It would be more like comparing the performance difference between a r5 1600 and an i7 7700k. The 1700 still has 2 cores on the 8700k. 

6 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I'm sorry, but do we do not know the MSRP of the 8700K. If it costs the same as the 7700K ($330) it's going to be VERY competitive.

It was leaked by a etailer at $485 CAD which is $50 CAD higher then current prices

4 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

It was leaked by a etailer at $485 CAD which is $50 CAD higher then current prices

Just FYI, leaks can be false

15 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

We don't know the price of the 8700K ;)

EDIT: And CAD=/=USD

i was going to buy a ryzen this year, was disappointed in gaming performance so waited for bios updates and to see skylake-x (witch turned out to be garbage) and all the updates for ryzen were not enough imo (you can only do so much with software updates)

coffee lake 8700k right now looks legit for gaming to being a little future proof with the 6 cores, as long as there isnt any heat issues and you dont have to delid to get a good overclock ill buy it..... if not its time to wait for ice lake 10nm or zen2 7nm 

44 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

In theory, AMD can increase clocks by nearly 50% while maintaining the same efficiency by going to 7 nm.

... Huh?

And where is that information from exactly? I have trouble imagining Zen2 running at 6Ghz.

43 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It performs better than an overclocked 5820K/6800K/1600(X) at stock speeds.

I'm... Not actually impressed. It's not a bad result, but it's entirely expected. I mean, its stock speeds are overclocked speeds for the other chips (well, the first two).

39 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

A well-clocked 8700k will be the new 2600/2700k IMO. Build one of those with some fast ram and you won't need another gaming system for about 6-7 years easily, possibly longer...

I wouldn't make such a bold claim. Part of the reason those chips stayed relevant so long is that the market stayed pretty much the same for generations after them -It's not that they were such good chips, it's that everything that came after them for years was an incremental improvement. I'm all for long-lived products, but the implications of that in this context would be pretty depressing...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

in canada:

$480 for 7700k, will be $480 for 8700k assuming no MSRP change

$380 for ryzen 1700, only slightly less IPC and 2 more cores. 

And the 1700 includes a cooler xD

1 minute ago, TheOriginalHero said:

And the 1700 includes a cooler xD

good cooler

none of this all aluminium tiny ass cooler WRRRRRRRRR bullshit 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

This is only good news to me if my 4790K is really dead (woke my computer up from standby, it woke for a second then died-and I was running everything at stock)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL