Recommend me an anime? :)

MrTomnus

Hey guys, I know a lot of people here like their anime, so I thought this would be a great place to ask.

I want to spend the evening watching some anime. I'll tell you a little about what I've watched in the past, but the list isn't very long. I don't really watch anime either, so I want to try something new!

Pokémon

Yu-Gi-Oh (although that was when I was very young, I find it a bit obnoxious now)

Digimon

I really liked Spirited Away if there's anything similar to that

Now I think about it, that's it. Anyway, it would be nice if it has a great storyline and isn't too over the top. Theme doesn't really matter. I'd also prefer if it were English dubbed because I'm not a fan of reading subtitles - I prefer to take in the story by reading off facial expressions, not text.

Thanks for any replies :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Ummm, I am watching Trigun right now, its a bit goofy, but also has a good story.

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

I hurd, Toky Ghoul is good.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

You should check out this thread here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/176865-heaven-society-anime-suggestion-submission/

All recommendations from people that watch anime.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Steins Gate

FMA/B (Watch FMA first)

Psycho Pass

Black Butler

Phantom Requiem of the Inferno

Attack on Titan

Oran High School Host Club

Fruit Basket

Inuyasha

Free!

Soul Eater

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Ghost in a Shell (ALL OF THEM!)

Death Note

Because he had a hard drive.

DBZ. Don't care what people say about fillers and such, love it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Gurren Lagann!!! Also, the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a lovely anime if you want to lose track of time entirely.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Also, the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a lovely anime if you want to lose track of time entirely.

THE ENDLESS 8's!

Because he had a hard drive.

Still my all time favorite anime.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Steins Gate

FMA/B (Watch FMA first)

Psycho Pass

Black Butler

Phantom Requiem of the Inferno

Attack on Titan

Oran High School Host Club

Fruit Basket

Inuyasha

Free!

Soul Eater

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Ghost in a Shell (ALL OF THEM!)

Death Note

DEATH NOTE

9oCUnG8.png

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Hey guys, I know a lot of people here like their anime, so I thought this would be a great place to ask.

I want to spend the evening watching some anime. I'll tell you a little about what I've watched in the past, but the list isn't very long. I don't really watch anime either, so I want to try something new!

Pokémon

Yu-Gi-Oh (although that was when I was very young, I find it a bit obnoxious now)

Digimon

I really liked Spirited Away if there's anything similar to that

Now I think about it, that's it. Anyway, it would be nice if it has a great storyline and isn't too over the top. Theme doesn't really matter. I'd also prefer if it were English dubbed because I'm not a fan of reading subtitles - I prefer to take in the story by reading off facial expressions, not text.

Thanks for any replies :)

Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke. Can't go wrong with Miyazaki. Sword of the Stranger is another anime that I like.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

@MyInnerFred I CHOOSE YOU!

USE THE SUMMON THE GANG MOVE!

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Parasyte: The Maxim is great

Death Note obviously.

FLCL is great if you're looking for some "wtf" stuff.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Unicorn Gundam.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Hmm it's pretty tough to just recommend something without knowing what you want to watch.

Wanting to watch only dubs really limits your selection as well, and most dubs are terrible. Once you get used to the Japanese voices and reading subtitles anime will become much better.

Here are some shows from different genres.

Angel Beats

Action/Comedy

It's only 13 episodes so you can finish it fairly quickly. There is an English dub out but it's terrible.

There is a good mix of seriousness and comedy.

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

Comedy

12 episodes of pure fun. I laughed so hard I started crying at some scenes. Each episode is just a bunch of ~3-4 minute clips from the everyday life of high school boys. The clips ranges from "practice how to get a girlfriend" to "kick the can" and having fights with your big sister. A bunch of full episodes are uploaded to YouTube if you want to check it out. Here is a link to episode 1.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (usually just called Haruhi)

Adventure/Comedy

Kind of hard to explain this show. It's about a pretty boring guy who just wants a normal school life, that ends up having to join a club created by a girl called Haruhi who is bored with having a regular life. This is the anime that really got me interested in anime. The English dub is actually pretty good as well. You might be able to watch the first episode on YouTube if you're in certain countries. Here is a link. It's 26 episodes but 8 of them are 95% the same. Seriously... They get stuck in a time loop and have to repeat the same few days over and over... That story arc sucked.

By the way, the movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's great and strings together certain events from the TV series perfectly. I watch it every year the 17th December (important date in the movie) and it never disappoints.

Steins;Gate

Thriller/Sci-fi/time travel

This show is really good, but takes quite a bit of time before it starts getting good. Might not be a good "beginner anime" since you will most likely get bored and think it's weird before it starts getting good (which takes like 5 episodes or maybe even more). It's a great show once the story gets going though. If you like time travel stories then this is really well written in how everything plays out. There is an English dub but it's really really bad. I cringe whenever I hear it.

Fate/Zero

Action/Fantasy

It's really really slow to get going... The first episode is basically a 40 minute long info dumb and the action starts in like episode 5. But just like with Steins;Gate, once it starts picking up speed it's great. Gigguk made a great review about it so I'll just link it here:

Sword Art Online

Action/Fantasy/MMORPG

Only recommending this because a lot of people love it. It's about a teenager who ends up being stuck in a virtual reality MMOPRG where if you die in the game, you die in real life. Imagine if you played WoW with an Oculus Rift version 10, and if you died you died in real life and you could not log out until you beat all the bosses. That's Sword Art Online.

You can watch episode 1 on YouTube here.

Rosario + Vampire

Fantasy/Romance/ecchi

Because every good anime list needs at least 1 show full of boobs. It's about a normal guy who ends up at a school full of monsters such as witches, vampires and succubus. All but a few monsters at the school hates humans so he has to pretend to be a monster. There are 4 girls who fall in love with him and that's where all the boobs comes in... It's very episodic in season 1. Basically every episode has 1 problem, 1 bad guy who gets defeated and about 10 scenes where a girl shows her boobs or panties, tries to seduce the main character, gets groped and stuff like that.

It's actually pretty good, but only watch it if you are okay with stupid stuff and lots of "fanservice".

To Aru Majutsu no Index / To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Fantasy/Action

Both of these takes place in the same universe (the same city even) and characters from 1 show frequently appears in the other show.

Index is about a guy named Touma who lives in a city where everyone is a student training to become an "esper" (someone with super natural powers). Basically it's like X-men but instead of a single school it's an entire city. Touma is a level 0 esper, which means he doesn't have any powers. Index is about him meeting a magic user who gets hunted by different churches.

There is a dub but as always, it's pretty shit.

Railgun is about Misaka, a level 5 esper and the third strongest esper in the entire city. This show is more "slice of life" (you get to see parts of her normal life when she is out with her friends and such) than Index but it does have some long story arcs with action in them.

Any one of these should be pretty good to start with. Whichever you should pick depends on what kind of show you want to watch.

Basically everything the others have recommended are good. I'll just throw in another extra. The new Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. I'm talking about the TV series which was released last year, and will continue this year. It corrects a lot of the problems with the original 2006 version of Fate/Stay Night and is quite a bit darker also, since the Unlimited Blade Works route is darker than the Fate route used in the 2006 version of the anime. If you're planning to watch Fate/Zero, definitely give this one a go as well. 

Oh yeah, there are two versions of Unlimited Blade Works. There's a 2010 movie version and the 2014 TV series which I mentioned. The one you want to watch is the 2014 version. 

So.. something like you've already watched?

Yakitate Japan

It follows almost the same pattern as those you've previously watched but this time with bread!! 11/10 would bake again...

If the source you get it from is good, there's a breadmaking tutorial at the end of selected episodes...

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Mirai Nikki

Code Geass

Attack on titan

Steins Gate

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (FMA:B) is my go-to "first anime." Easy to get into and to digest for anime newbies.

Code Geass is my favorite anime.

@MyInnerFred check @azurezeed mention in the Tags spoiler, hes not been called.

DBZ:KAI have no fillers  :D

Ummm Im not sure if this series are dubbed or not (i always watch with spanish subtitles) .

Monogatari series (you have like 3 days of nonstop anime - best ever 11/10 IGN) (search for bakenomogatari)

Sakurasao no  pet na kanojo - very cute

Spice and Wolf - The anime club's favourite

if you like the drawing style, you must watch "The garden of words". Best animation ive ever seen. Some other good films: Wolf children, Ghost in the shell, The girl who leap through 

time or My neighbor Totoro (similar to spirited away).

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Basically everything the others have recommended are good. I'll just throw in another extra. The new Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. I'm talking about the TV series which was released last year, and will continue this year. It corrects a lot of the problems with the original 2006 version of Fate/Stay Night and is quite a bit darker also, since the Unlimited Blade Works route is darker than the Fate route used in the 2006 version of the anime. If you're planning to watch Fate/Zero, definitely give this one a go as well. 

Oh yeah, there are two versions of Unlimited Blade Works. There's a 2010 movie version and the 2014 TV series which I mentioned. The one you want to watch is the 2014 version. 

Yes, the animation is amazing in the new one.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Sword Art Online (Watch out, 2nd half is a bit sketchy)

Sword Art Online 2 (2nd half plain out sucks)

Log Horizon (My favorite)

Log Horizon 2 (Not as good as first season IMO, but still good)

Full Metal Alchemist/FMA Brotherhood (Really good, one of the first anime I watched)

Trigun (Amazing)

Desert Punk (One of the funniest things I've seen)

Knight Of Sidoniah (Different animation style, decent plot)

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Here lemme get some help. 

@MrTomnus You haven't even scrapped the tip of the iceberg with the few series you've watched so far. What genre are you looking for and how long do you want the series to be?

You called?

Steve