Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion

Error 52

Summary

Bungie, the developers behind Destiny, Halo, and, uh, Marathon, I guess, have been purchased by Sony Interactive Entertainment for $3.6 billion. Bungie has stated that Destiny 2 will remain available on all current platforms and that the upcoming expansion will not have any exclusive content. We'll see how that shakes out in practice, of course.

Quotes

In SIE, we have found a partner who unconditionally supports us in all we are and who wants to accelerate our vision to create generation-spanning entertainment, all while preserving the creative independence that beats in Bungie’s heart. Like us, SIE believes that game worlds are only the beginning of what our IPs can become. Together, we share a dream of creating and fostering iconic franchises that unite friends around the world, families across generations, and fans across multiple platforms and entertainment mediums.

With SIE, the potential for our universes is unlimited. Our future games will take bold steps into unexplored spaces for Bungie, continue to push the boundaries of what is possible, and will always be built on a foundation of creating meaningful, lifelong friendships and memories.

We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.

With SIE's support, the most immediate change you will see is an acceleration in hiring talent across the entire studio to support our ambitious vision. If this speaks to you, and you want to help us put a dent in the universe, we are hiring across all disciplines for Destiny 2 and for all new worlds beyond.

Q. As a Destiny 2 player, does Bungie becoming part of PlayStation have any immediate impact on how I play and experience Destiny 2?
No. Our commitment to Destiny 2 as a multi-platform game with full Cross Play remains unchanged.   
We want you to play The Witch Queen on February 22, 2022, on the platform of YOUR choice.

Q. Will Destiny 2: The Witch Queen include any platform exclusives?
No. The Witch Queen will not contain any platform exclusives. Every player should have an amazing Destiny experience, no matter where you choose to play.

My thoughts

This is the corporate version of spitefully hitting on your ex's sister. I do think that if Bungie makes a non-Destiny game in the future, it's not coming to Xbox. Even if they state otherwise right now.

Sources

Sony buying Bungie for $3.6bn - Eurogamer (Technically the story comes from GamesIndustry.biz, but their site is shitting itself right now)

BUNGIE JOINS SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT

Destiny 2: Our Shared Vision

Lol. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Gaming should be as decentralized as possible,

I don't want the industry to become an oligarchy.

Some companies in the industry have too much power in their hands.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Bungie has been gearing up to release a non-Destiny game, so I suspect that's the real endgame here. I'm sure Sony isn't counting on a future D2 expansion being the exclusive that makes Xbox owners switch in droves.

And yes, Sony is clearly doing this in response to Microsoft's Activision purchase. It's not nearly on the same scale, but it doesn't have to be... Sony knows its exclusives have generally been stronger, and even the Bethesda deal wasn't about to have PS5 buyers regretting their choices.

So Nathan Drake will be in Destiny world?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

sony wasn't happy that two of their mascots were taken away from them.

IP remains Microsoft's property. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

9 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Gaming should be as decentralized as possible,

it already is

I don't want the industry to become an oligarchy.

They won't

Some companies in the industry have too much power in their hands.

They don't.

When the rich kid who was bullied by the cool kid bullies the rich kid, this is how the cool kid reacts :

[*insert Clarkson's Oh no Anyway meme since PCMR*]

1 hour ago, Error 52 said:

Summary

Bungie, the developers behind Destiny, Halo, and, uh, Marathon

Bungie hasn't developed a Halo title for like 12 years. Pretty important context to have.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I don't see this as any response to MS' recent move. These deals don't happen overnight, and would have been in discussion for some time. That the4e both happen to announce at similar times I think is just coincidence.

I'm also not keen on fewer companies controlling more and more of the gaming space. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Bungo!  Nooooo.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Does that mean that Masterchief's helmet is blue now?
It was fitting so well to the XBox branding!

Edit: Oh wait, it still belongs to Microsoft. Bungie didn't make the last Halo. Oopsie.

45 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Maybe now we'll finally see Oni 2.

hell..a fully done Oni 1 for modern machines would be good.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

So let me get this straight

Microsoft now owns Banjo and Tony Hawk

Sony now owns the company that used to make halo

This is strange

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

46 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Bungie hasn't developed a Halo title for like 12 years. Pretty important context to have.

The best games in the halo series were all released under bungie is also something to note. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The best games in the halo series were all released under bungie is also something to note. 

You forget about the true best Halo game: Halo: Spartan Assault

36 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Does that mean that Masterchief's helmet is blue now?
It was fitting so well to the XBox branding!

Edit: Oh wait, it still belongs to Microsoft. Bungie didn't make the last Halo. Oopsie.

Bungie made the last good halo though. Granted I am unsure how well bunie could make another great franchise like halo. I guess destiny is pretty good as a franchise but I think it wasn't as good as their work with halo. Hopefully they make more great games in the future as I find myself sorely disappointed with alot of the recent game releases being such a crapshoot. Hopefully the new releases in February are good with from sortwares new game as well as the new dying light game. 

55 minutes ago, porina said:

I don't see this as any response to MS' recent move. These deals don't happen overnight, and would have been in discussion for some time. That the4e both happen to announce at similar times I think is just coincidence.

I'm also not keen on fewer companies controlling more and more of the gaming space. 

Honestly I trust Sony more than other companies to make good games so I would rather have Sony own Bungie than have some other big company buying them and ruining them. Honestly I think console companies are better about trying to create compelling games to attract people to buy their consoles rather than being like EA and just releasing a ton of crap games every year just so they can make money on the game sales. 

Title should read:

Bungie cries about "creative freedom" and splits from Activision, creating a narrative about being proudly independent again. Then Bungie is acquired by SONY. lol.

I guess for Bungie bad press is better than no press.

Bungie makes games for Apple ->Microsoft pays Bungie for Halo ->Bungie leaves Microsoft and loses Halo ->Bungie joins Activision ->Bungie leaves Activision ->Microsoft buys Activision ->Sony buys Bungie

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Bungie makes games for Apple ->Microsoft pays Bungie for Halo ->Bungie leaves Microsoft and loses Halo ->Bungie joins Activision ->Bungie leaves Activision ->Microsoft buys Activision ->Sony buys Bungie

Imagine making games for Apple back in the day lol. Gaming on Apple computers has been bad for a long time unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Imagine making games for Apple back in the day lol. Gaming on Apple computers has been bad for a long time unfortunately. 

There was a golden era for Mac gaming, and Bungie was a large part of it... Marathon was one of the best first-person shooters outside of id Software's lineup. But I will definitely agree that gaming hasn't really been Apple's focus outside of the iOS App Store. I can't help but wonder what would've happened if Halo had launched on the Mac as originally planned. A smaller initial audience, to be sure, but it might also have persuaded Apple to court gamers.

18 minutes ago, CCWong said:

I remember playing some dope games on them back in the 90s. Good times.

First time I ever played MechWarrior 2 was on a Mac way back in the 90's. That was actually one of the first video games I'd ever played.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)