Monitor Motion Clarity

kodokuj

I recently realized I get headaches a lot when playing games because of my monitor's awful motion clarity. Is there any settings I could maybe optimize that would help or is this just a "buy a new monitor" scenario. (Which I do plan to do anyways in a month or two)

1 hour ago, kodokuj said:

I recently realized I get headaches a lot when playing games because of my monitor's awful motion clarity.

How do you know for certain it's the monitor's motion clarity, or lack thereof, as opposed to say PWM flicker or microstutters or a ton of other possible causes?

Aside from that, which monitor is it? Backlight strobing is supposed to improve motion clarity, but no way to know if your monitor supports it if you don't mention the model.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Dell E2218HN, sorry I didn't think to mention it.

11 hours ago, kodokuj said:

Dell E2218HN, sorry I didn't think to mention it.

Not much you can do in terms of clarity, I think. It's 60 Hz and doesn't support backlight strobing either (which is not something you'd really want on 60 Hz anyway).

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Unless you have an option for pixel overdrive in the OSD, there isn't much you can do. But it's probably not the motion clarity that induces your headaches.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

12 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Unless you have an option for pixel overdrive in the OSD, there isn't much you can do. But it's probably not the motion clarity that induces your headaches.

There's a settings called "Pixel Clock" that's greyed out in the OSD

11 hours ago, kodokuj said:

There's a settings called "Pixel Clock" that's greyed out in the OSD

That should be it. Play around with other OSD settings and see if you can make it available. If you have FreeSync or G-Sync enabled, see if disabling that makes the option available.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.