Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion

Error 52
35 minutes ago, IPD said:

Not a knockoff.  The core team that made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark formed Free Radical and Timesplitters was born.  Again, you are failing FPS history here.  I wouldn't think this would normally be required to be spelled out in minute detail, but...HALO FANBOIS.  They are legends of myopia.

HALO was always about spending Jeff Bezos' Yacht-sized piles of money to force MS's way into the console market.  To do that, they needed a killer app on their console.  To get that, they took the best of every idea that had come before, put their own spin on it--and then slight-of-handed the gamer community into thinking it was "novel" and "radical" when it was drivel and derivative.

"Enjoyable" and "feels good" doesn't make it any less of a knockoff.  And if "success" is your only litmus test for quality--then CoD, Madden and BF games are the best thing ever; and indie titles like Alien Swarm and Overload are just heaping piles of bantha poodoo.  Of course, having actually played these games....I know precisely the inverse to be true.

You realize everything becomes derivative to a point. Halo is an fps game so it's obviously going to share elements with other fps games. Also feels good to play is incredibly important. If the gameplay feels clunky then the experience isn't nearly as good. Take goldeneye for an example. It was a good game for it's time but felt far worse to play than halo. Also again I think you are conflating game doing OK and a game being a massive hit. To be a massive hit the game needs to fundamentally good. Also to say that battlefield and call of duty didn't have their own masterpieces is just plain crazy. As for madden I have no idea it was even all that successful but I guess it is basically the only football game out there so it's not like there is a ton of competition there. Anyways you clear just don't like halo which is fine but to say it was indisputable bad or a knock off is actually crazy. 

Preface: until recently, my only experience with HALO was 3 on the 360, and I loved it.

I recently played HALO 1 and 2 through the MCC, and dear god... how did HALO 1 blow up the way it did? I basically had to force myself to finish it.

Story? It's paper thin and barely there. It's the bare minimum to be able to say that it had -a- story.

And the gameplay is... uggh... gunplay is fine, but the maps are such a goddamn mess, and most interior maps are repetitive, samey mazes that can take for-freaking-ever to navigate.

I think someone mentioned the library before and yeah, IT WAS NOT FUN.

HALO 2, on the other hand, is still very nice to play. Not perfect, and whomever decided to release the game despite the horrendous cliffhanger deserves to have their genitalia repeatedly kicked until the end times, but pretty damn good! THAT is a game I can understand blowing up!

The maps are much, much more interesting and barely repetitive at all. The gunplay is even better, with dual wielding (though it can be a bit finnicky, specially if you wanna throw grenades), and there is quite a lot more worldbuilding which basically wasn't present in the first game.

Honestly, comparing HALO 1 to the likes of Goldeneye or Perfect Dark feels wrong. Or for something more contemporaneous and also console-based, Metroid Prime.

My word, Metroid Prime is so much better than HALO 1 it's almost laughable.

2 hours ago, Rauten said:

Preface: until recently, my only experience with HALO was 3 on the 360, and I loved it.

I recently played HALO 1 and 2 through the MCC, and dear god... how did HALO 1 blow up the way it did? I basically had to force myself to finish it.

Story? It's paper thin and barely there. It's the bare minimum to be able to say that it had -a- story.

And the gameplay is... uggh... gunplay is fine, but the maps are such a goddamn mess, and most interior maps are repetitive, samey mazes that can take for-freaking-ever to navigate.

I think someone mentioned the library before and yeah, IT WAS NOT FUN.

HALO 2, on the other hand, is still very nice to play. Not perfect, and whomever decided to release the game despite the horrendous cliffhanger deserves to have their genitalia repeatedly kicked until the end times, but pretty damn good! THAT is a game I can understand blowing up!

The maps are much, much more interesting and barely repetitive at all. The gunplay is even better, with dual wielding (though it can be a bit finnicky, specially if you wanna throw grenades), and there is quite a lot more worldbuilding which basically wasn't present in the first game.

Honestly, comparing HALO 1 to the likes of Goldeneye or Perfect Dark feels wrong. Or for something more contemporaneous and also console-based, Metroid Prime.

My word, Metroid Prime is so much better than HALO 1 it's almost laughable.

Let's be honest here. Halo was very much about playing it with friends and the campaign feels much better playing with someone else. Honestly some of my fondest memories was playing the campaign with my brother. Also the story of Halo one was solid. Did it have some maps that seemed similar to others? Maybe but honestly I didn't really notice or care as it really doesn't have much to do with the story anyways. I do remember the library being one of the more frustrating parts of the game but again playing it with someone else made it much more enjoyable. Also I remember playing HALO 2 when it first came out and it was both frustrating having the ending cliffhanger but also made me look forward to HALO 3.