Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion

Error 52

I posted this in a youtube comment but I think the play by Sony is to produce other Destiny-related content that isn't to do with games. Bungie has expressed interest in making non-game Destiny related stuff and Sony does have the related resources to make it happen. Many Destiny fans (like me) would love to have a show / movie based on the lore of the games cause some of the stories are REALLY good. I'd love to see something set during the dark ages where the risen were warlords, ruling with violence and bloodshed.

25 minutes ago, IPD said:

Well I guess that answers the question.  Halo will now be PS property and CoD will be an XBOX property.

Halo?  Story?  ROFLMFAO.  Um, no.

SiN

Half-Life 1

Deus-Ex 1

Unreal

NOLF

Blood 1

Blood 2

Halo was simply another me-too shooter that had a tepid story offering and derivative gameplay that was never as good as Quake 3, let alone Unreal Tournament.

I was playing all of those games and... you're overstating the case for some of those titles. Unreal was pretty for the time, but it was a tech showcase with the loosest of plotlines. I wouldn't exactly call most of those other games (the exceptions being Deus Ex and NOLF) story-rich, either.

Halo's quality is sometimes overstated, but it was a solid FPS with a stronger-than-usual story and AI for the time. More importantly, though, it also set the benchmark for console shooters at the time, particularly for multiplayer.

Also: Halo isn't a PlayStation property... Bungie let Microsoft keep the Halo franchise when the two split.

46 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I honestly haven't played infinite campaign so I couldn't tell. I do know 4 and 5 couldn't compare to Bungies halo games. I was never a fan of odst but I do know people who liked it's style. Personally I found it annoying to play tbh. But yeah the first 3 games is very hard to beat as the story was just so good and made you super hyped for when the next one would come out. Honestly reach campaign was also very good but just not as good as the first 3 yet reach had some of the best multi-player experience of the halo games especially for custom games. Reach custom games was probably one of the funniest experiences in gaming for me personally be it duck hunt or any of the other crazy game modes. One of my all time favorites was the one where you would ride on warthogs down this incline that is looped by teleporters so when you reach the bottom you go back to the top of the incline but you have to try and not die from the infected who have grav hammers. Or another favorite was one where the infected has to launch vehicles through grav lifts at some tower of boxes you have to stand on. Basically trying to know you down to your death. Man there were alot of fun custom games for reach. 

I'd honestly recommend checking it out, at least through gamepass. It's a lot better than 4 and 5 for sure. If not for the story, the gameplay is among the best in the series

unfortunately it also seems to lack content, like forge/custom games which is why I haven't played multiplayer in a bit 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

46 minutes ago, IPD said:

Halo was simply another me-too shooter that had a tepid story offering and derivative gameplay that was never as good as Quake 3, let alone Unreal Tournament.

You're understating the impact quite a bit. Halo CE is the reason why shooters exist on console at all in their current state. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

I'd honestly recommend checking it out, at least through gamepass. It's a lot better than 4 and 5 for sure. If not for the story, the gameplay is among the best in the series

unfortunately it also seems to lack content, like forge/custom games which is why I haven't played multiplayer in a bit 

Oh I have played multiplayer of infinite and it seems pretty good in terms of the feel of shooting and whatnot just haven't played the campaign. Then again I haven't played a ton of multiplayer probably like 10 games at most. 

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you were probably a pc gamer during when halo was on of the biggest game out there and probably didn't really play halo on Xbox so you wouldn't get it. So many people would disagree with you as halo is loved by many and campaign was a huge reason for that. I bet you can play a song from the halo soundtrack and most people would recognize it while of you did the same with any of the games you stated probably less people would recognize where the song was from. 

TIMESPLITTERS was a better game than HALO, ffs.

2 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

You're understating the impact quite a bit. Halo CE is the reason why shooters exist on console at all in their current state. 

Goldeneye

Free Radical + Epic Games + "healthy dose of Steve Jobs style IP theft" = HALO

3 hours ago, IPD said:

TIMESPLITTERS was a better game than HALO, ffs.

Well seeing as I have never heard of timesplitters I would have to disagree. 

3w6udwox99f81.jpg

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Is NOLF playable in this day and age? Or does it show it's age too much to be fun? I always wanted to try it back in the day.

13 hours ago, CephDigital said:

I posted this in a youtube comment but I think the play by Sony is to produce other Destiny-related content that isn't to do with games.

Oh, you can bet on that.  They only IP that does well for them really has been the Spider-Man stuff...and they have to share all of that money in varying percentages with Marvel/Disney.

Thinking of Sony as ONLY a game company misses that they're a major entertainment company competing with Disney and Warners (or at least want to be)  and that means getting IP of your own to develop.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

INB4 Destiny 3 is a 3rd person, story driven, single player game with tons of quicktime events and slowly walking around while characters run their mouths.

Anyhow I don't mind this. More competition is good and it seems both Sony and Microsoft are going to do their best to be as competitive as possible in this console generation. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

10 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well seeing as I have never heard of timesplitters I would have to disagree. 

And that right there says why your opinion on the superiority of your beloved HALO is pretty much irrelevant.  Your knowledge on the history of FPS's before 2001 is tepid at best.

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Is NOLF playable in this day and age? Or does it show it's age too much to be fun? I always wanted to try it back in the day.

You can still play NOLF 1 & 2.  Contract Jack isn't worth it.  But in any case, NOLF has some complicated legal issues behind it--which is why it will probably never get released for steam.  I think it's probably still fun, for what it is--dated graphics and all.

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I played a decent chunk of it pretty recently, and while it has definitely aged it's still a pretty cool game. Fucking pain in the ass to get running on modern machines though.

Damn shame, really.  We have Blood 1 & 2 and the entire F.E.A.R. anthology available on Steam.  But the games that came between them...no go.  And I'm a huge Monolith fan.

15 minutes ago, IPD said:

Damn shame, really.  We have Blood 1 & 2 and the entire F.E.A.R. anthology available on Steam.  But the games that came between them...no go.  And I'm a huge Monolith fan.

Hey, maybe Microsoft can help detangle the whole mess now that they own Activision.

Frankly, destiny can't get worst than the current state its in. Don't even have the will to play the DLC I paid for before bungie decides to vault them (cause that's totally  brilliant and a legit thing to do to your paying customers 🙄), add to that they're more concerned about the eververse than giving new player things to do.

2 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

INB4 Destiny 3 is a 3rd person, story driven, single player game with tons of quicktime events and slowly walking around while characters run their mouths.

And the PS fan base goes wild!!!! 😜

Don't forget destroy the tower another time to start from scratch and rehash the already rehashed gear from D1

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, IPD said:

And that right there says why your opinion on the superiority of your beloved HALO is pretty much irrelevant.  Your knowledge on the history of FPS's before 2001 is tepid at best.

I'm familiar with TimeSplitters... and it was a solid game, but not a timeless classic everyone yearns to revisit. Halo was hyped up beyond its abilities, to some degree (just look at "The Library"), but it did do a lot to popularize the FPS genre on consoles, helped usher in online console multiplayer, and was critical to the Xbox's early days.

Just because you didn't like Halo as much as other people doesn't mean those people are wrong. You don't have to like the game, but you can't pretend it wasn't incredibly popular and massively influential; Bungie clearly did something right.

3 hours ago, IPD said:

Yep because I need to know of every game that has ever been released to know if a game is good lol. I'm sorry but if the game you are talking about is as good as you say it is then I would know about it. 

Bungie doesn’t make anything good anymore

81B2741A-130A-4AEA-BDAC-B46E8FE07F6A.jpeg

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yep because I need to know of every game that has ever been released to know if a game is good lol. I'm sorry but if the game you are talking about is as good as you say it is then I would know about it. 

Timesplitters is the direct descendant of Perfect Dark and by extension Goldeneye.  I can't help it that you don't know the first thing about console FPS history or how your beloved HALO is and always will be nothing more than a glorified knockoff with a multi-billion dollar marketing push by MS to make sure it succeeded.

30 minutes ago, IPD said:

Timesplitters is the direct descendant of Perfect Dark and by extension Goldeneye.  I can't help it that you don't know the first thing about console FPS history or how your beloved HALO is and always will be nothing more than a glorified knockoff with a multi-billion dollar marketing push by MS to make sure it succeeded.

I'm sorry but you are just wrong. I have heard of perfect dark and goldeneye and have played goldeneye. Compare that to TIMESPLITTERS which is by what you describe is a glorified knock off of goldeneye and perfect dark. Halo was one of the best feelings fps games for console when it came out. Combine that with a solid story and God tier soundtrack and epic cutsceens you can see why it was a massive success. I'm sorry but there is a reason why halo was massively successful with a huge fan base. You don't make a game that successful without it actually being good. 

On 2/2/2022 at 5:20 PM, Brooksie359 said:

I'm sorry but you are just wrong. I have heard of perfect dark and goldeneye and have played goldeneye. Compare that to TIMESPLITTERS which is by what you describe is a glorified knock off of goldeneye and perfect dark. Halo was one of the best feelings fps games for console when it came out. Combine that with a solid story and God tier soundtrack and epic cutsceens you can see why it was a massive success. I'm sorry but there is a reason why halo was massively successful with a huge fan base. You don't make a game that successful without it actually being good. 

Not a knockoff.  The core team that made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark formed Free Radical and Timesplitters was born.  Again, you are failing FPS history here.  I wouldn't think this would normally be required to be spelled out in minute detail, but...HALO FANBOIS.  They are legends of myopia.

HALO was always about spending Jeff Bezos' Yacht-sized piles of money to force MS's way into the console market.  To do that, they needed a killer app on their console.  To get that, they took the best of every idea that had come before, put their own spin on it--and then slight-of-handed the gamer community into thinking it was "novel" and "radical" when it was drivel and derivative.

"Enjoyable" and "feels good" doesn't make it any less of a knockoff.  And if "success" is your only litmus test for quality--then CoD, Madden and BF games are the best thing ever; and indie titles like Alien Swarm and Overload are just heaping piles of bantha poodoo.  Of course, having actually played these games....I know precisely the inverse to be true.

https://www.polygon.com/2014/9/4/6107435/halo-video-first-footage-original-reveal

in 1999, HALO was a 3rd person adventure game.  Then, just like that, it was an FPS.  Because MS wanted it to be.

Rare designed Goldeneye--from the ground up--as an FPS, even though it was pretty much envisioned as a rail shooter from the get-go.  They also didn't have a wealth of PC or console IP to draw ideas from--and instead relied heavily on the movie sets and theming--shoehorning objectives in after levels were complete.  2.5 years.

MS buys Bungie, and HALO comes out 1.5 years later as a completely different game than the one shown as a demo in 1999.  Between 1997 (Goldeneye) and Nov 2001 (Halo)--the most groundbreaking series of FPS entries into the genre debut.  It was pretty clear by June of 2000 (when Bungie was purchased) that MS was simply wanting to follow the trend.  And in order to do that, re-inventing the wheel in a fundamentally new way would have meant a prohibitively longer development time--which MS could not afford, due to the timing constraints already defined by their upcoming console.

The most I can say is that--to their credit--the Bungie team did a good job with vehicles.  There were plenty before this, but their entry in this vein was more polished.  Of course, when all you are doing is trying to improve upon someone else's idea--it's likely that yet another party will come along and do it even better.  Enter Unreal 2003/2004.