whats a good build fee?

whats a good price to charge people for building them a pc? Im planning to start a small hobby for building ppl pcs.

I have built around 4 pcs in my lifetime 3 of which were for my friends, all which worked 1st try upon building them. I know alot too, like picking out decent (not the best, but decent) parts.

What should I chrage people (in USD) for building them a pc? How about finding them the parts AND building the pc? How about troubleshooting?

Also each time i built the pc, it took me about 6 hours to do so, but the result ended up good. I build good cable management in the front, and meh cable management in the back.

What structure are you looking for here? Buying the parts for people, having them shipped to your house, and then building it? Or do you tell them what parts to build and go to their house and build it.

I really wouldn't recommend charging people to build a pc or pick out parts for them until you get a bit more experience under your belt. Four PC's is not a whole lot. Really, since all of these PCs have worked first try for you, how do you know how good you are at troubleshooting?

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

2 hours ago, aren332 said:

whats a good price to charge people for building them a pc? Im planning to start a small hobby for building ppl pcs.

I have built around 4 pcs in my lifetime 3 of which were for my friends, all which worked 1st try upon building them. I know alot too, like picking out decent (not the best, but decent) parts.

What should I chrage people (in USD) for building them a pc? How about finding them the parts AND building the pc? How about troubleshooting?

Also each time i built the pc, it took me about 6 hours to do so, but the result ended up good. I build good cable management in the front, and meh cable management in the back.

Probably $30-$50 for assembly.  Maybe $100 if you did a full consult for parts and everything.  Keep you expectations low, though, as there’s tons of people doing this and if someone is so unsure of themselves that they want someone else to do it they’ll likely pay best buy or microcenter to do it, or just get a prebuilt.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

and if someone is so unsure of themselves that they want someone else to do it

that's probably more than 90% of people

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

2 hours ago, leclod said:

that's probably more than 90% of people

making their "best buy or prebuilt" even more valid. Indie builder needs to make themselves distinct beyond "theyre local".

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.