Jeff is no longer the king of the Amazon - Jeff Bezos steps down as CEO

piratemonkey

Summary

Jeff Bezos will no longer be the CEO of Amazon, stepping down to executive chair position later this year. Andy Jassy, head of the computing section of the company, will become the new CEO. The switch will happen during the third quarter of 2021.

Quotes

The Washington Post

Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, will step down as chief executive of the e-commerce giant, turning over the reins to the company’s longtime cloud-computing boss Andy Jassy.

The Associated Press

Amazon said he'll be replaced in the fall by Andy Jassy, who runs Amazon's cloud business.

My thoughts

I doubt Amazon will change much, but quite interesting nonetheless. I wonder how Andy will lead the company. Hopefully though Amazon won't get more creepy, given Jassy is the computing boss.

Sources

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/02/02/jeff-bezos-stepping-down-amazon-ceo-transitioning-executive-chair-role/

https://apnews.com/article/amazoncom-inc-jeff-bezos-a5af30868a90cd300dd616796bc1aec2

Ps. I will update this if new information becomes available

Edited by piratemonkey

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

WOAH.

im suprised

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Now the XKCD comic where Jeff talks through Alexa is outdated.

Why can't I find that one? It was so good.

elephants

7 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

TIL he also owns the Washington post....

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

TIL he also owns the Washington post....

Oh yeah that's right lol. I can provide other sources too if you'd like

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

2 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

Oh yeah that's right lol. I can provide other sources too if you'd like

No, I dont think this violates TNPG in any way. Just had no idea until I read the article. 

He's not leaving the company though which is important to note. Just not the "lead guy", this might give him more time to explore his other companies. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Added the transition date and the AP's article

Has any reason been given? You usually don't just walk away from the CEO position of Amazon....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Has any reason been given? You usually don't just walk away from the CEO position of Amazon....

Not uncommon for founders to move to oversight roles and let someone else be CEO, so they can focus on specific work or other interests, like the Google founders for example.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

So Lex Luthor Bezos is stepping down from his position, eh.

Well, when your fortune is already bigger than you could ever possibly spend for remainder of your life, there's not much point continuing to work at the top of a huge company I suppose.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, Loote said:

Probably lost a secret underground duel with some other filthy rich person.

Elon florishes katana, and bows.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Wouldn't be surprised if he focuses more on Blue Origin (His spaceflight company).

Ahhh... rich man begins his retirement. Good for him. 

thats very surprising. No clear explanation why either which is extremely odd.

Its not surprising that he is stepping down at 20+ years of running the company, but usually you hear rumors about this sorta thing first or see the person starting up a new company to focus on.

I think he's done good running amazon. I've never understood the hate he gets. His company is definitely overvalued, but still solid. I could list hundreds companies run worse and more unethically than amazon.

Curious how the stock market will react to it over the next day or two.

Either a) he's bored and wants to do something else with his country sized cash pile or b) Amazon (or Bezos) need some plausible deniability for some shady doings that may or may not be uncovered in the near future or c) recognises that the company he now has is vastly different to the one he started and wants to stand back to let more qualified individuals take more of a controlling role.

Or a little of all 3.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

thats very surprising. No clear explanation why either which is extremely odd.

Its not surprising that he is stepping down at 20+ years of running the company, but usually you hear rumors about this sorta thing first or see the person starting up a new company to focus on.

I think he's done good running amazon. I've never understood the hate he gets. His company is definitely overvalued, but still solid. I could list hundreds companies run worse and more unethically than amazon.

Curious how the stock market will react to it over the next day or two.

Yeah Amazon didn't go from a store just selling books to the gaint it is today by itself. As much as people give him crap he did make Amazon the huge company it is today and given the success the company has had he definitely has done a decent job as ceo. It will be interesting see where the new ceo takes Amazon next. 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

I hope he has enough money to support himself.... 

I know. How is he supposed to get by on that executive chair salary.