High GPU Hot spot temps

Go to solution Solved by So Corse,
1 hour ago, So Corse said:

i'll try this now, and ill post the after result then, thank you

So, it's better, alot better
Thank you so much for the help bro, it was a really bad bad thermal paste placement/bad contact i wiped and applied a new one,

1 hour ago, Agall said:

You'd be using any generic thermal paste, ideally non-conductive. If you live nearby any place that sells computer hardware, even Best Buy, they'll have some basic stuff or Corsair branded stuff.

People get way too deep into min-maxing thermal paste. As long as its non-conductive and thermal paste, its fine. Otherwise you could run into an issue I ran into back in 2014 or so with Artic Silver 5 and have a small strand shorting the die to one of the caps around the die on the substrate that prevented the machine from POSTing.

Just be careful removing the cooler to not mess up the thermal pads too much. Ideally you're mitigating the damage to them so you can reuse them. On a DDR6 card like the 6700XT, even if you have to put the pieces back on, it should be fine. You'll more than likely tear some of them or they'll just tear on their own, but just play puzzle pieces with the parts so they're still mostly whole.

image_2024-04-27_004137208.png

I have a question regarding GPU Hot spot temps, i am running a RX 6700 XT, and my hot spot temps is 90-100°C+, while the overall of the gpu is 79°C, is that like bad? or maybe there is something wrong with my GPU?
This is while running The Last of Us (In the Main menu) and opening Opera GX, i don't know if this occur just recently or for a long time, i just notice this when i was opening HWMonitor, should i change thermal paste or maybe it's normal? But while its on idle or i don't utilize my GPU its more or less the same with overall GPU temps on 50-60°C. I've uploaded a images regarding the temps of both my CPU and GPU so that it maybe of some use.

Thank you in advance. 

image_2024-04-26_213531643.png

image_2024-04-26_213719596.png

17 minutes ago, So Corse said:

I have a question regarding GPU Hot spot temps, i am running a RX 6700 XT, and my hot spot temps is 90-100°C+, while the overall of the gpu is 79°C, is that like bad? or maybe there is something wrong with my GPU?
This is while running The Last of Us (In the Main menu) and opening Opera GX, i don't know if this occur just recently or for a long time, i just notice this when i was opening HWMonitor, should i change thermal paste or maybe it's normal? But while its on idle or i don't utilize my GPU its more or less the same with overall GPU temps on 50-60°C. I've uploaded a images regarding the temps of both my CPU and GPU so that it maybe of some use.

Thank you in advance. 

First, uninstall HWmonitor and install HWinfo64. HWmonitor is notorious inaccurate by today's standard for modern hardware, especially with AMD.

Second, a hotspot of +20C isn't uncommon, but if its +30C, then there might be poor contact to the heatsink. I would see if HWinfo64 shows the same characteristics before doing anything though.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

16 minutes ago, So Corse said:

Thank you in advance. 

It's bad,  110C is  max acceptable temp  and your card  may  throttle or crash...

Maybe the card needs cleaning/repaste, or more airflow, try incresing fan speeds

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

9 minutes ago, Agall said:

First, uninstall HWmonitor and install HWinfo64. HWmonitor is notorious inaccurate by today's standard for modern hardware, especially with AMD.

Second, a hotspot of +20C isn't uncommon, but if its +30C, then there might be poor contact to the heatsink. I would see if HWinfo64 shows the same characteristics before doing anything though.

Here's the info from HWInfo64

image_2024-04-26_220758393.png

11 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It's bad,  110C is  max acceptable temp  and your card  may  throttle or crash...

Maybe the card needs cleaning/repaste, or more airflow, try incresing fan speeds

ill try to open the front temper glass and the front panel

This is when i'm idle or not playing The Last of Us

image_2024-04-26_221159895.png

5 minutes ago, So Corse said:

ill try to open the front temper glass and the front panel

it doesn't make a difference from what i see when i open the side panel, for the GPU fans, they should be running at their max RPM

Just now, So Corse said:

it doesn't make a difference from what i see when i open the side panel, for the GPU fans, they should be running at their max RPM

Usually when you have the core temp in acceptable ranges but a dramatically higher hot spot in excess of +30C, its because of poor contact or the thermal paste is defective in some way (could be poor application from the factory).

Its unlikely that the delta between the core and hot spot is that high due to a lack of airflow, but not impossible.

If you're comfortable doing it, repasting the graphics card would be a good idea. What's the history of that card? Was it something you got new or used and how long have you had it?

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

20 minutes ago, Agall said:

Usually when you have the core temp in acceptable ranges but a dramatically higher hot spot in excess of +30C, its because of poor contact or the thermal paste is defective in some way (could be poor application from the factory).

Its unlikely that the delta between the core and hot spot is that high due to a lack of airflow, but not impossible.

If you're comfortable doing it, repasting the graphics card would be a good idea. What's the history of that card? Was it something you got new or used and how long have you had it?

Sorry for the long response, i was trying to test 3D mark on it and still over 100C, i bought it used, but the seller claims that it was used for 6 months ish? for mining but in a "controlled environment". He bought it in 2022 i bought it in November 2023, i've had the Graphics card for 6 month more or less. if i want to replace the thermal paste, do i have to buy a special thermal paste/liquid metal or something like that or can i use the thermal paste for a Cpu?, i have the coolermaster pro v2, can i use that or nah?
thanks,

Just now, So Corse said:

Sorry for the long response, i was trying to test 3D mark on it and still over 100C, i bought it used, but the seller claims that it was used for 6 months ish? for mining but in a "controlled environment". He bought it in 2022 i bought it in November 2023, i've had the Graphics card for 6 month more or less. if i want to replace the thermal paste, do i have to buy a special thermal paste/liquid metal or something like that or can i use the thermal paste for a Cpu?, i have the coolermaster pro v2, can i use that or nah?
thanks,

though, i never changed a thermal paste on a GPU before, hopefully i don't destroy or break the Card if i decided to repaste it.

7 minutes ago, So Corse said:

thanks,

You'd be using any generic thermal paste, ideally non-conductive. If you live nearby any place that sells computer hardware, even Best Buy, they'll have some basic stuff or Corsair branded stuff.

People get way too deep into min-maxing thermal paste. As long as its non-conductive and thermal paste, its fine. Otherwise you could run into an issue I ran into back in 2014 or so with Artic Silver 5 and have a small strand shorting the die to one of the caps around the die on the substrate that prevented the machine from POSTing.

Just be careful removing the cooler to not mess up the thermal pads too much. Ideally you're mitigating the damage to them so you can reuse them. On a DDR6 card like the 6700XT, even if you have to put the pieces back on, it should be fine. You'll more than likely tear some of them or they'll just tear on their own, but just play puzzle pieces with the parts so they're still mostly whole.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

6 minutes ago, Agall said:

1 hour ago, So Corse said:

So, it's better, alot better
Thank you so much for the help bro, it was a really bad bad thermal paste placement/bad contact i wiped and applied a new one,

1 hour ago, Agall said:

image_2024-04-27_004137208.png

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

That's either a really bad cooler contact or bad paste application/dry out/pump out

Yeah, there's an air pocket/some thermal paste where it doesn't even touch the dye/die/the thing.