Why does my heat sink have power supply1

I just tried to put my hand over my heatsink to check how how it's running while playing ac origins and I accidentally happened to touch it and I got shocked by my laptops heatsink Idk what to do I know heatsinks are not supposed to have power to them and why is this happening.please helpp 

IMG_20240426_210628.jpg

4 minutes ago, LostBoiZoro said:

I just tried to put my hand over my heatsink to check how how it's running while playing ac origins and I accidentally happened to touch it and I got shocked by my laptops heatsink Idk what to do I know heatsinks are not supposed to have power to them and why is this happening.please helpp 

IMG_20240426_210628.jpg

I partially think it's because of my switch board not being grounded is that a possible case?

8 minutes ago, LostBoiZoro said:

I partially think it's because of my switch board not being grounded is that a possible case?

I suspect so, it's not "powered",  it has residual static

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

so the laptop works fine? if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

if nothing is earthed, things have a tendency to float, so your laptop's heatsink ends up at some voltage above earth, but there isnt actually any capacity to drive current, so the moment you get a zap that voltage sinks away, and builds up again over time.

if your local power outlet standard is reversible (meaning, the plug can go in two ways), try plugging your laptop in the other way around, depending on the charger's internal design that can actually make a notable difference for how much charge builds.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if nothing is earthed, things have a tendency to float, so your laptop's heatsink ends up at some voltage above earth, but there isnt actually any capacity to drive current, so the moment you get a zap that voltage sinks away, and builds up again over time.

shouldnt it be fixable if you run a small copper wire and connect the heatsink to whatever ground the laptop has?

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

shouldnt it be fixable if you run a small copper wire and connect the heatsink to whatever ground the laptop has?

nothing is wrong with the laptop, it's just that if the wall outlet isnt grounded, the laptop itself has nothing to reference itself to.

34 minutes ago, LostBoiZoro said:

If you touch it repeatedly (say, 3 times in a row), does it shock you every time or just the first time?

29 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

If you touch it repeatedly (say, 3 times in a row), does it shock you every time or just the first time?

Sounds like something from an ElectroBOOM video 😄

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566