HP 17.3 9P521UA#ABA question

Go to solution Solved by 8tg,
2 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Do you know of any laptops that have 2 m.2 slots that are relatively cheap? I don’t need anything big, tasks will be web browsing and looking through files. 

More recent used thinkpads. A T480 is coffee lake stuff and has 2.5” sata and you can use a m.2 2242 sized nvme ssd in the wwan port 

IMG_2634.webp.0b10cb30dcbb39c306656372b638724e.webp

or old workstations, the P50 is inexpensive these days but has 2 nvme slots and a 2.5” sata slot, or you can trade the two nvme slots for another 2.5” sata, though all that needs caddies or sata cables, which are added cost but they’re usually under $10

finding info on modern entry level machines is near impossible, they’re barely documented, like that motherboard I posted is a motherboard in the same model family as that, 1215u for 17” hp pavilions, because they use the same motherboard for dozens of different models 

but even HP doesn’t keep documentation on specific models like that, same applies to any of the oems with their basic machines

most of the time these days, dual ssds are something really only found in gaming laptops

some models which have 2.5” sata options still might have both sata and m.2, but not all of them

I might be interested in buying this laptop, but I can’t find if it has a second ssd slot or not. This is necessary as I have another ssd that I need to add into this laptop.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

6 hours ago, 8tg said:

It only has one m.2 and no sata

IMG_2633.thumb.jpeg.681200b6bf660086a8bd5d959af42b5d.jpeg

Do you know of any laptops that have 2 m.2 slots that are relatively cheap? I don’t need anything big, tasks will be web browsing and looking through files. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

2 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

More recent used thinkpads. A T480 is coffee lake stuff and has 2.5” sata and you can use a m.2 2242 sized nvme ssd in the wwan port 

IMG_2634.webp.0b10cb30dcbb39c306656372b638724e.webp

or old workstations, the P50 is inexpensive these days but has 2 nvme slots and a 2.5” sata slot, or you can trade the two nvme slots for another 2.5” sata, though all that needs caddies or sata cables, which are added cost but they’re usually under $10

finding info on modern entry level machines is near impossible, they’re barely documented, like that motherboard I posted is a motherboard in the same model family as that, 1215u for 17” hp pavilions, because they use the same motherboard for dozens of different models 

but even HP doesn’t keep documentation on specific models like that, same applies to any of the oems with their basic machines

most of the time these days, dual ssds are something really only found in gaming laptops

some models which have 2.5” sata options still might have both sata and m.2, but not all of them

Personally I’d go with a P50 if you want like a backup storage machine that’s also a laptop.

Theyre old skylake workstations, minimum spec is a 6700HQ and Quadro M1000m, up to a Xeon E3 1535m and M2000m, they have 4 ram slots for up to 64gb of ddr4. 1080p display or 4k display.

Thats all a bit overkill hardware wise, but like any business machine, they’re cheap.

IMG_2635.thumb.jpeg.83300f5d4c93713119e8945ee2b940a8.jpeg
You need these for the two m.2 slots

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363492953340

And if you want to use the 2.5” bay there’s a whole kit required for the right side 2.5”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175343853633

Just keep in mind these are 15” professional workstations, they’re heavy and get like 3 hours of battery life. But a skylake mobile quadcore and 4gb Maxwell quadro is still no slouch.