Malicious devs falsely banning users on Steam

Revadike

Steam provides developers tools to lend Valve's anticheat service in their games, called Game Bans. They appear on user's profiles. Once enabled for the publisher API key, you can ban any user that owns the game with a simple HTTP request.

While Valve disallows the use of this API for any non-cheating purposes, it hasn't stopped malicious devs from abusing this to attack, suppress, or potentially even racially discriminate their own customerbase. These Game Bans are shown on Steam profiles and will permanently mark users as cheaters, destroying their reputations, which is their nefarious goal. They know they can get away with it, as they have been able to do this unpunished, for years now.

The victims can't retaliate, as Valve has a policy to simply not help and ignore banned users. They redirect victims to their abusers, which is obviously not going to do anything. There have been many attempts to make Valve aware of this problem and have them do something about it, but they do not seem to care.

What do you think of this?

Related:

* My story

This is exactly why I’ve been livin life on the 7 seas. I don’t need multiplayer support anyway as I have no friends so being locked to single player is all I need. 

5 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Step 1) go outside

Step 2) touch grass

Ah yes, touching grass is the solution to all life's problems.

Wrongly banned in a game that causes issues on the main platform outside just that game? Just touch grass!!

Run out of milk? Go outside and touch grass!! Milk appears

Car broken down and girlfriend left you? Touch grass and all is well 😛

This isn't limited to just the game(s) in question, devs (from what I'm reading) are giving out beta keys and then auto banning people right away causing issues elsewhere on Steam since they're now flagged as "cheaters" in one game from a ban where they have no playtime.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

39 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Milk appears because cows touch grass. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

steam has many exploits. i always love reading whats newly discovered.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 4/26/2024 at 5:18 PM, Lurick said:

Ah yes, touching grass is the solution to all life's problems.

Wrongly banned in a game that causes issues on the main platform outside just that game? Just touch grass!!

Car broken down and girlfriend left you? Touch grass and all is well 😛

This isn't limited to just the game(s) in question, devs (from what I'm reading) are giving out beta keys and then auto banning people right away causing issues elsewhere on Steam since they're now flagged as "cheaters" in one game from a ban where they have no playtime.

Hay fever triggered by grass pollen...

On 4/26/2024 at 11:25 AM, Revadike said:

What do you think of this?

Just dont buy any more of their games. I have several devs I wont buy from period.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.