Do you ever think a time will come when you no longer understand how to use technology? Just like older generations in todays world with current tech.

zachp004

In general, many of the older generations (Silent Generation/Baby Boomers) that are alive today tend not to understand how to use technology, like cell phone and laptops, with ease. While this is a stereotype and does not apply to everyone, it has been shown that they simply are not as good at using these types of technology. It also has been shown that these older generations own far less technology than younger generations that have a better idea on how it work. 

So, my question is, Do you think there will come a time in the future when you can no longer properly understand how to use new technology, just like older generations of todays world struggle to use our present day technology? It doesn't matter what that technology is. Maybe some weird blockchain currency system. Chances are we haven't though of it yet. I just think that one day, the technology will surpass our generations (Gen Z, Millenials, Gen X) understanding of it.

For example, programming is becoming more and more common among the youth. Someday, programming, just like using a computer or a phone, could become a common thing among young generations, and it will be very hard for our (now old) generation to catch up and properly take advantage of whatever tools rely on a knowledge of coding, just like cool stuff like ordering anything online relies on knowledge of how to use a computer.

I am just curious to know your thoughts, especially among some of the forum members who are reviewers or enthusiast, especially @LinusTech who has been doing this for a long time. Is this something he is concerned about?

My wording in this topic post is not as elegant as I would like, but I hope it gets the point across.

3 minutes ago, zachp004 said:

In general, many of the older generations (Silent Generation/Baby Boomers) that are alive today tend not to understand how to use technology, like cell phone and laptops, with ease. While this is a stereotype and does not apply to everyone, it has been shown that they simply are not as good at using these types of technology. It also has been shown that these older generations own far less technology than younger generations that have a better idea on how it work. 

So, my question is, Do you think there will come a time in the future when you can no longer properly understand how to use new technology, just like older generations of todays world struggle to use our present day technology? It doesn't matter what that technology is. Maybe some weird blockchain currency system. Chances are we haven't though of it yet. I just think that one day, the technology will surpass our generations (Gen Z, Millenials, Gen X) understanding of it.

For example, programming is becoming more and more common among the youth. Someday, programming, just like using a computer or a phone, could become a common thing among young generations, and it will be very hard for our (now old) generation to catch up and properly take advantage of whatever tools rely on a knowledge of coding, just like cool stuff like ordering anything online relies on knowledge of how to use a computer.

I am just curious to know your thoughts, especially among some of the forum members who are reviewers or enthusiast, especially @LinusTech who has been doing this for a long time. Is this something he is concerned about?

My wording in this topic post is not as elegant as I would like, but I hope it gets the point across.

the thing is the more we grow the more technology grows so its not like elders forget how to use tech stuff its just that theyre not familiar with it

I hope so. If we somehow have a "knack" for understanding "current technologies" in the future without much effort. ... they aren't advancing fast enough!

If you don't keep up with it, absolutely.

There's also the fact that tech will come out that you simply don't want to use, but it will be widely accepted by the generation after you.
For example, implanted technology. I have absolutely no interest in any form of tech implanted into my body. Yet, this is what Musk is working towards, and one day we could see that become the norm. There's also things like contact lenses with screens on them, etc. Again, not something I'd want.

Then there's apps. I don't use social media. I have no interest in it. However, it's the absolute norm for just a generation after mine.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

During adulthood you get more into a routine and will find that you do things in such a way by methods you know. I send emails and game on a monitor, and that is satisfactory for me. I do not feel the need to discord or play in VR. In a couple of years when the kids are playing games in the 6th dimension and communication is done through mouthing into a jelly cup, I will probably be a "grandpa who doesn't get it".

5 minutes ago, zachp004 said:

So, my question is, Do you think there will come a time in the future when you can no longer properly understand how to use new technology, just like older generations of todays world struggle to use our present day technology? 

Depends on the individual interest level. The elderly of today rarely care about the internet more than just facebook, so a smart phone for them that can do their banking for them is not something they want. 

I can tell you I'm already falling off of keeping up with all the GPU specs of the last generation of GPU's and latest gen of CPU's. There's more to life then technology at least for me.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

It's not a question of understanding technology, but more like some niche things I can't be bothered to learn it, it's simply not something I'm passionate or even interest about.

I'm almost 4 decades old and i love programming, but for example I really don't feel like learning WASM (web assembly) and I didn't even research it besides articles and basic info... I should be excited about it, and try to learn it but... some kids probably learn it in school or at home while they teach python in school.

I also am not a fan of social media, which kinda goes against what's expected... everyone says you need to be on Linked in, facebook, must have some presence when you apply for jobs because every HR person looks to see stuff about you... but on the other hand I'm reluctant to give Facebook and others more personal information, stuff to use and sell stuff to me...

And also ... after a point you realize maybe 75% or more of all that happens on facebook and other networks is just noise, waste of time, just stupid pointless updates that kill your time.

Don't think so. 

"Normal" people get lost becasue tech is basically an unwanted side thing in their life, but people on here are mostly enthusiasts about the whole stuff who are interested in keeping up to date and will follow the progress.

I had an electronics teacher 20 years ago who was about to retire and started his career working on vacuum tube circuitry before the transistor existed, but he knew about all the latest stuff and was super excited about it. One of the best teachers I had.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Right now i‘d say no but who knows maybe in 50 years i‘ll be too stupid for the brain connector or wtf the tech will be

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Not trying to be mean but I feel the question itself is flawed. You are always in the situation where you don't understand current technology. Even right now. Programming is a good example. I could ask person A. how to write a For Loop in C# and they'll have no idea but I ask them what line of processors fit in a LGA2011-3 socket and they could recite the whole compatibility list from memory. The oppose question could be posed to person B. with the same result.

The field of technology is too vast as is changing too quickly for anyone to learn it all in a lifetime. You're always not going to know at least a part of current technology. What's important is that you keep up with the parts of current technology that interest you.

19 minutes ago, zachp004 said:

programming is becoming more and more common among the youth. Someday, programming, just like using a computer or a phone,

and we will be the „ dumb generation „ who need a GUI for everything :)

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The field of technology is too vast as is changing too quickly for anyone to learn it all in a lifetime.

I agree

Your grandparents probably know more about farming than you but you know more about computers 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

What's important is that you keep up with the parts of current technology that interest you.

That happens automatically. Though I do find I start to lose my interest in stuff like PC hardware and comsumer electronics. I used to be obsessed with it, nowadays I find it hard to enjoy. I just want my stuff to work and not worry about it. I can totally see how this effect is even greater in people who are 50+ years old. 

well personally that will only hold true for me if my brain starts malfunctioning 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

3 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

and we will be the „ dumb generation „ who need a GUI for everything :)

Eey, CLI gang? :D

2 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

I agree

Your grandparents probably know more about farming than you but you know more about computers 

Same concept could be applied to farming. They could be masters at cultivating fruits and vegetables but ask them to keep a rose bush alive and watch it die. They'll never know everything there is and neither will we.

2 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

That happens automatically. Though I do find I start to lose my interest in stuff like PC hardware and comsumer electronics. I used to be obsessed with it, nowadays I find it hard to enjoy. I just want my stuff to work and not worry about it. I can totally see how this effect is even greater in people who are 50+ years old. 

It doesn't happen automatically if you choose to stop having an interest in it. At that point you choose to no longer keep up with the new tech you once enjoyed.

Yes

I still type with one finger when writing messages on my smartphone. My younger sister also helps me out when I with my smartphone because she knows more tricks. I simply don´t care and just use the basic functions and that´s it.

As others have said, nobody today is fluent in technology as a whole. It’s more about what your area of expertise is and whether or not you choose to keep up with it.

If I plop the Adobe suite in front of 100 people, 99 of them are going to be about as productive as your average nursing home resident. Same goes if you were to sit me in front of a development environment and tell me to make something. I’d be useless.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

35 minutes ago, zachp004 said:

Do you ever think a time will come when you no longer understand how to use technology? Just like older generations in todays world with current tech.

Using such a pointlessly long title certainly shows a certain kind of a lack of understanding!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Get off my digital lawn you darn kids!

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I don't even think, that younger generations are more knowledgeble in tech. Most people use their to just check social networks, watch videos, listen to music, write a couple of messages and call someone once in a while. That's it. Just like the elder generations. A lot of young people don't even know much else. Say CPU to them and they wont know what you're talking about.

We as LTT forums members are in sort of a "filter bubble". Since we're on a forum about tech, we talk to a lot of people about tech. That might lead us to thinking, that a lot of people are quite knowledgeble about tech, when in reality that might not be the case.

I totally agree on some of the aforementioned posts. Knowledge mostly comes with interest and need. And, tbh, elder people might not see the need because they could survive without certain stuff for several decades.

Basically, you'll be able to understand future tech, if you're willing to stay up to date.

No, thats more like comparing someone who creates a machine vs someone who uses the machine. Good example is cars, once you learn how to drive one you learn how to drive them all. (though you could say manual to automatic cars are like linux to window users)

7 minutes ago, nick name said:

Get off my digital lawn you darn kids!

Otherwise I'll sell all your data in the dark web!

1.) Of course, a very minuscule percentage of people here ACTUALLY understand how they work.  The rest of us are just really good at understanding Adult Lego's.

2.) Technology of today, was not the technology of 10 years ago - and with the extrapolation of how quickly we make technological leaps people will always be left in the "stone-age".

I really think not many people ACTUALLLLLLLLLY understand how our tech works.  Just that this does this, because that's what it does and this communicates with that because that's what it does.

Im one of those people who actually have no idea how it works (magic smoke in the box) beyond what basic information is available for people who can use logic.  Other than that its just - what can I regurgitate that google tells me.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

In the end there are tool creators and tool users.  Creators understand how the tool works.  Users just use the tool to get a more comfortable existence.  Personally I call it an IQ delta.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

No, thats more like comparing someone who creates a machine vs someone who uses the machine. Good example is cars, once you learn how to drive one you learn how to drive them all. (though you could say manual to automatic cars are like linux to window users)

That CPU example might have been a bit off.

However, some people don't even understand how to use computers properly. I had someone in informatics class saying something along the lines of "How can I open a folder?". He was definitely a young person and definitely used tech aswell, but basic user knowledge was still lacking.