Xbox one X ssd

so i have a xbox one x laying around, and since my friend gives me game pass for free, i want to use it for games like forza horizon and motorsport. BUT IT IS SO FUCKING SLOW. ive heard of people putting a ssd in them, any pointers or suggestions on how i should go about it?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

so i have a xbox one x laying around, and since my friend gives me game pass for free, i want to use it for games like forza horizon and motorsport. BUT IT IS SO FUCKING SLOW. ive heard of people putting a ssd in them, any pointers or suggestions on how i should go about it?

there are loads of youtube videos on it

basically you can use most sata SSDs (though not in M.2 form) and an MX500 will be a good fit since I've seen it used in most of these upgrades

BUT for most (maybe all of them) you need a pc to install the OS to the SSD

Also remember to install the OS onto the ssd

here they are

Edited by filpo

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Yes, but it depends on which revision you got if yours is also like my One S.

The later versions on the one S have been soldered on corners I believe to be all capped inside, you can't just unscrew some stuff to open the cage.

If however yours do have screws underneath that can be opened, the procedure is a bit long but can be done. You'll have to tear out some stuff, reach the HDD bay, install the OS ONTO THE SSD, move it on over to the Xbox - connect to the Internet, update and roll on. There are guides on Youtube, obviously.

ok, yea ive taken it apart to change the thermal paste, not to worried about that, and ok, onto the os? the one i just looked at(didnt know this was as popular of an upgrade as it is) they said to leave the ssd and put the os on a usb drive?

@filpo @Motifator *forgot to quote sorry*

11 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

they said to leave the ssd and put the os on a usb drive?

what do you think @Motifator?

I'm not very experienced in this but if the video said so then I assume so, maybe they're porting it over. If they aren't porting it over to the SSD then I'd disregard it

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, filpo said:

BUT for most (maybe all of them) you need a pc to install the OS to the SSD

This shouldn't be the case anymore. From what I remember, Microsoft changed how things are done quite a few updates ago and now (in theory) all of the Xbox Ones can just get a new un-initialized drive thrown in with the offline update on a flash drive and be good to go. At the very least the One S, One S Dumb Edition (Digital), and One X should.

It was absolutely the case when I threw a 2TB MX500 into my One X that was manufactured around 2017. Literally just cleaned it in diskpart, installed the drive into the console, and went through the procedure of performing an offline update with the file on a flash drive and it has been flawless for a little over a year.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just curious: how much of an impact does an SSD have on an Xbox One (non-X)? 

8 hours ago, ARandomPerson said:

i dont know if you can, if you can, its probably similar, the benchmarks i watched were fh5 getting into the  menu, 1:31 on the hdd and 32 on the ssd

soooo..... i've acquired a sn770, is there a way to boot xbox os off of that? like a m.2 to sata adapter, i was going to buy a sata one but would rather use this now that i have it for free.. and its 2tb

On 5/2/2024 at 10:18 AM, ARandomPerson said:

The One S I got has a rather pitiful 500 giger HDD so it's sometimes really trash like when it's updating itself, etc. Pretty sure the experience is much better with an SSD.