What does boomer even mean??

Bloudy_Parrot

They are a tribe in the Mojave desert of Fallout New Vegas.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Bloudy_Parrot said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like, for real, or the new meaning?

The real meaning is shorthand for Baby Boomer, which is the generation right after WW2, sired by the generation that were new adults during the war. People born in the mid to late 40s into the 50s. 

The newer meaning is as an insult, generally meaning old and out of touch. Generally it also implies that you’ve squandered very good economic conditions to enrich yourself yet leave newer generations at a disadvantage. 

Examples would be the exponential increase in the cost of buying a home, yet the lack of similar increase in earning power. Same would be for the cost of education (particularly in the US). 

People often use the insult boomer towards people of any age range now. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Generally it also implies that you’ve squandered very good economic conditions to enrich yourself yet leave newer generations at a disadvantage. 

Examples would be the exponential increase in the cost of buying a home, yet the lack of similar increase in earning power. Same would be for the cost of education (particularly in the US).

Meh, both sides have shards of truth.

Millennials and Zs for example seem disconnected with the job market, as in they want to necessarily do what they like, regardless of the economics of such a decision. Cost of education, yes. That 10k-20k+ a year humanities degree isn't worth it. Just looking at the CESB discussions on Reddit, apparently physical labour should be reserved for temp foreign workers and working in the service sector (as an unskilled worker) is only doable for $20 and up.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Boomers are complete a-holes. They are the type to vomit crap out of their mouth-hole at everyone around them, right before exploding in a fit of uncontrolled bowel problems after you've let them get too close to you.

https://left4dead.fandom.com/wiki/The_Boomer

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Those damn Cursed Thralls in Destiny. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

The current use of “Boomer” is a term used by young people to try and discredit anything an older person says so that they don’t have to try and have a cordial disagreement or conversation. It’s analogous to “lalalala im not listening, you’re wrong”

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Millennials and Zs for example seem disconnected with the job market, as in they want to necessarily do what they like, regardless of the economics of such a decision. Cost of education, yes. That 10k-20k+ a year humanities degree isn't worth it. Just looking at the CESB discussions on Reddit, apparently physical labour should be reserved for temp foreign workers and working in the service sector (as an unskilled worker) is only doable for $20 and up.

Yeah, well, I'm your textbook Millenial with a useless degree. I have a bachelor's degree in Geology which I'll never use. Everyone around me at the time told me it was a great degree to have. It cost an arm and a leg too. I'm tired of people poking fun at Arts degrees. Science degrees suck too. 

Now I have a stable job in construction working as a surveyor. It felt weird getting a "dumber" 2 year diploma afterwards in a "low brow tech school for stupid people" just to get an opportunity. People around me told me that I was too smart to go to tech school. And yeah, I work outside doing some physical labor. But I'm versatile working in the office and on site. It's not like I had much of a choice anyways, but I can't complain. I get paid and I work less than 9-5 for the same salary or better, and I get more benefits.

The people doing physical labor will become richer than the people working in offices because they're not competing with eachother for the same job. 9-5 is the past. These days you gotta get your hands dirty or work some awful part time minimum wage job. 

3 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Now to know what zoomer means.

Someone who uses Zoom. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Someone who uses Zoom. 

Of course, how could I have missed that..

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Of course, how could I have missed that..

Zavala Indeed GIF - Zavala Indeed Destiny - Discover & Share GIFs

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Science degrees suck too. 

I did my environmental biology degree just before this then as mine opened the door to one great career followed by another.

Funnily enough it was 5 years as an Analytic chemist in a company full of biologists and then into a career in quality assurance and compliance which I now do for a multinational IT company.

A lot of the skills and techniques, less so the knowledge, came from my degree as I valued those transferable parts very highly!

Now I do see only chemistry based degrees were the only real good ones from the science area, only eclipsed by the tech degrees etc. 

We still need engineers etc so physics degrees are also super useful and open a lot of doors, biology degrees these days probably hardly any.

Im encouraging my kid to follow his interest in maths, trying to make it exciting and relevant. Being a scientist myself I can mix biology, physical and chemisty with maths to keep him entertained.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

7 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

The physical labour thing is a big deal here. Lots of kiwis complain about the lack of jobs, but there’s plenty of work out there. People complain it’s migrant workers taking the jobs, but it’s because kiwis don’t do it. Lots of money to be made if you work hard, especially in labour. 

7 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Millennials and Zs for example seem disconnected with the job market, as in they want to necessarily do what they like, regardless of the economics of such a decision.

There's no evidence of that, in fact pre-covid unemployment rates had hit historic lows in the western world. If anything younger generations have much less choice than older ones because they can't afford to do what they'd like. Also getting a well paying job now requires you to be a lot more qualified than it used to and degrees in countries like the US cost a lot of money even if you don't count the time investment.

Us Wages Have Been Rising Faster Than Productivity For Decades

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If it is about submarines a "boomer" is a ballistic missile type sub, referring to the boom of a SLBM (sub-launched nuke).

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

There's no evidence of that, in fact pre-covid unemployment rates had hit historic lows in the western world. If anything younger generations have much less choice than older ones because they can't afford to do what they'd like. Also getting a well paying job now requires you to be a lot more qualified than it used to and degrees in countries like the US cost a lot of money even if you don't count the time investment.

Us Wages Have Been Rising Faster Than Productivity For Decades

You have to remember as well though that in most modern countries there's been a massive uptake in immigration where a lot of jobs, mainly manual labour ones, are being taken up by immigrants because the native populous are too precious for that and want a nice cushy office job. Where I'm from it's higher than average for unemployment and there's plenty of seasonal work going around but hardly anyone does it because it's "hard".

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

41 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

You have to remember as well though that in most modern countries there's been a massive uptake in immigration where a lot of jobs, mainly manual labour ones, are being taken up by immigrants because the native populous are too precious for that and want a nice cushy office job.

Again afaik there's no evidence of that - immigrants don't take jobs away from natives but mainly because there are more jobs than people.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Again afaik there's no evidence of that - immigrants don't take jobs away from natives but mainly because there are more jobs than people.

It’s not really taking away jobs just filling the gap where natives are too self entitled to do the jobs that need doing. It’s very easy to live off the state now and a lot of people do it because they can’t get the job they want.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

"Boomer" is somewhat dismissive (I know plenty of good boomers), but there is a reason why many look on them with disdain.

Basically: it's a generation that has often tried to make itself the centre of attention throughout the decades.  '60s?  Notice us, we're all about free love, sex and drugs!  But as they got older and started families, it was all about them again -- they were called the "Me Generation" in the '80s for a reason, obsessed with money and power.  And as they got old, they complained about 'lazy' youth while making it harder and harder for those young people to make a good living (while forgetting that even a modest job in the '70s could likely pay for a house and a car).  Basically, it's a generation where far too many people kicked out the ladder once they'd climbed it.  A good summary: