Cloudflare terminate 8Chan

msknight
5 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I'm pretty sure those imageboards contain all kinds both of the extreme left and extreme right. With extremely lax moderation ideas of all sorts can blossom, even those others or even the general public may not agree with. Sites such as 4chan and 8chan are a dual edged sword. Even with slight moderation, you can easily introduce religious, political, and other idealistic bias for conversational topics, preventing truly free speech. On the other hand, having no moderation, you're allowing potential for conversational topics and media to allow the promotion and sale of sexual and physical abuse.

the real concern should be the extremism ideas, not the platform. the fact the platform is open and allows dialogue is a good thing.

if it was out in public, why did the police do nothing?

they so busy asking to break encryption to stop terrorism why are they not reviewing information thats clearly visible?

wait there's 4 chan and an 8 chan? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

the real concern should be the extremism ideas, not the platform. the fact the platform is open and allows dialogue is a good thing.

if it was out in public, why did the police do nothing?

they so busy asking to break encryption to stop terrorism why are they not reviewing information thats clearly visible?

Because, unfortunately, the shooting info usually comes out when it's too late to do anything.  You don't see 8channers saying "I'm gonna shoot me some Hispanics" days in advance, you find out when the shooter posts their manifesto minutes before the shooting.  And while 8chan is an environment that encourages and celebrates these shootings, those acts aren't necessarily illegal by themselves.

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I think people generally confuse morality with actual laws.

That's the thing, really -- 8chan is a despicable place that shouldn't really exist, but I wouldn't expect the police to step in unless someone actively called for specific crimes or said they were about to commit crimes.  It's up to companies to take a moral stand and distance themselves.

Still waiting for those peer-reviewed studies that say that shutting down 8chan is going to fix things. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

9 hours ago, Derangel said:

Should we also ban Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc because they have also influenced mass killers and non-mass killers? People have used Facebook to livestream murders and other crimes.

Exactly. Yesterday, I read a (insert progressive commentary site here) article, that was titled: 8chan is fostering mass murder, or something like that. They then proceeded to show how 8chan was only one of six sites on which you could find the Christchurch video/etc, and that despite facebook/etc attempts to take down these videos, the speed at which they were reuploaded essentially made them just as acessible on a non "Free Speech Platform" as they were on 8chan. Like, these people are disgusting, but 8chan isn't a cause, it is a symptom.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Forget 8chan, it's the vidya games my bros.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

I can't speak for 8chan, but for 4chan, what you describe only happens on /pol/ and maybe /b/. The rest of the dozens of boards don't have any more alt-right racists than, say, LTT forums. Lumping all the boards into one really shows you don't know what you are talking about.

As a member of the /b/ discord, can confirm. I never talk there, only lurk to make fun of dumb people.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

12 hours ago, Commodus said:

8chan isn't going to get much sympathy -- it knowingly allows people who foster and celebrate mass murders.  Even if you're a hardcore "free speech at all costs" type, it's pretty hard to justify supporting a site that endorses particularly heinous illegal activity.

There is a very important distinction between free speech and promoting/organizing violence. One is supported by the US constitution (which is ingrained and very important to us from the states for those of you elsewhere in the world not understanding why we are so forceful with free speech) and legal, the other is already illegal and has laws in place for it (at least here in the states). If you wanna find other racist people to share your hate with, go ahead. But the moment you try to instigate violence or organize anything, then it's illegal. And it should stay that way. I'm not supporting hate, but the government making any censorship laws based on saying specific things (at least here in the US) is unconstitutional. 

And we all know that if 8chan ends up going away, another site will pop up in it's place, it's the internet. 

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, if they are talking about drawn stuff there are many countries that legally do not care because, while we might morally agree that what they're hosting/viewing is wrong, it still is a victim less crime.  Like I could shoot up a place in a game, but irl is where there would be victims.   

Read the account name. They mean actual cp.

Btw if you check certificates issued by Cloudflare, you can find it alongside some zoo stuff.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

37 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

There is a very important distinction between free speech and promoting/organizing violence. One is supported by the US constitution (which is ingrained and very important to us from the states for those of you elsewhere in the world not understanding why we are so forceful with free speech) and legal, the other is already illegal and has laws in place for it (at least here in the states). If you wanna find other racist people to share your hate with, go ahead. But the moment you try to instigate violence or organize anything, then it's illegal. And it should stay that way. I'm not supporting hate, but the government making any censorship laws based on saying specific things (at least here in the US) is unconstitutional. 

And we all know that if 8chan ends up going away, another site will pop up in it's place, it's the internet. 

Oh, I know, but private companies aren't obligated to host material just because it's technically legal.

And just because a replacement for 8chan might pop up doesn't mean you shouldn't let them sit around.  These sites not only fuel crimes, they recruit people who otherwise might not have fallen that far into hatred and violence.  We should make these sites feel unwelcome at all times, everywhere, forever.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, it says lolicon which usually refers to a form of drawn female children/also those who look young yet aren't, not actual children.  Still not a crime in a lot of countries because there is no victim.  Their wording also doesn't clarify they meant the actual victim type.  I've never heard of them, but I also don't go to 4/8/whatever chan.  So, I've never really heard of them.  lol

Why would someone who defends loli call it cp and report it?

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

44 minutes ago, comander said:

I'm FOR letting pretty much any discussion board exist so long as they aren't actively facilitating egregious illegal activities. I generally error on the side of having a light touch approach.

There is a pretty good argument to be made for keeping up that stuff instead of playing wack-a-mole with them and forcing them to less "law enforcement friendly" places. If you keep them in plain view then law enforcement can easily monitor and round up those idiots who publicly post about this sort of stuff and it's easier to track them down in many cases (not all but I would say a good many). There are even times where law enforcement wants those sites to stay up so they can work with the host and track down people engaged in that sort of activity. Of course there is always other issues with this sort of stuff and I'm not saying "keep up illegal sites" but sometimes it's better to keep them close and monitor than push them away I guess is what I'm trying to get at.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

13 hours ago, strajk- said:

I don't like the fact that you're quoting 4chan in this, sure there are questionable individuals there but it's in no way shape or form comparable to 8chan, that place is surface level darkweb tier when it comes to controversial opinions and talking points.

4chan is incredibly important to mention since the only reason that 8chan ever got any traction was because 4chan started banning people over relatively mundane "controversial" topics. Those people all were forced to migrate somewhere else, found 8chan, and 8chan gradually got more and more extreme in its views as a result of being comprised largely of people who weren't allowed to discuss things on 4chan.

So tell me, with 8chan gone, what's going to happen to the next refuge that these folks are forced to run to? Is it going to somehow be less radical than 8chan was, or are these people who feel wronged going to double down on their views?

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you keep them in plain view then law enforcement can easily monitor and round up those idiots who publicly post about this sort of stuff and it's easier to track them down in many cases (not all but I would say a good many).

This is the part that has historically been a problem and hardly anything really gets done, not to any effective degree anyway. Most countries do actually have due process and robust protections of citizens freedoms so being an asshole online doesn't warrant any legal action, not saying that needs to change but it pretty much leaves the only option as ambulance at the bottom of the cliff.

These types of problems generally make me have the opinion of you can either have freedom of speech/expression or anonymity, pick only one.

11 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Uncommented is that it's a little annoying companies like CloudFlare need to exist because DDoS is so easy. CloudFlare, as a company, is making the decisions that keep their lights on, which is always not pissing of Western governments. It's been decided 8chan is at fault for this one, so it's simply about dumping 8chan from major platforms. 

It's the business side of protection rackets, even if it's "legal". 

Or they just don't want bad PR from associating with 8ch.

10 hours ago, cj09beira said:

as long as there are alternatives a company not wanting to work with you is fine, if its a monopoly its another story,

Even if their aren't alternatives, a company is under no legal obligation to provide a service they deem to be bad for their image/product/revenue/whatever, even if a product is widely needed and a monopoly exists then the problem is anti trust not censorship.

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

Not really, communism itself only says that the government (or more broadly whatever form of administration is decided upon by the people) should provide everyone with what is necessary to live respectably. In societies like the soviet union that was taken further (plus there was a dictatorship which isn't really what you would want in a society that is supposed to have no classes and no hierarchies) but communism isn't inherently against the existence of companies offering or refusing to offer services under certain conditions.

Show me a communist regime that doesn't have excessive control over what what services a company can and cannot provide.   And more to the point the amount they must charge for it.   There is a reason most industry in communist countries is state owned,  even in China that has a very real recent history of self made millionaires and entrepreneurs there is a heavy state owned and state controlled intervention in enterprise.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Even if their aren't alternatives, a company is under no legal obligation to provide a service they deem to be bad for their image/product/revenue/whatever, even if a product is widely needed and a monopoly exists then the problem is anti trust not censorship.

This is false in the US. For example a bakery was sued (and found guilty) for refusing to bake a wedding cake to a gay couple. 

Imagine if all farmers got together and said "we will from now on refuse to sell food to people who vote left", and the banks going "if you vote left then we will not lend you any money". That is essentially what is happening online, except instead of farmers its hosting platforms. 

It would absolutely cripple anyone who voted left, and would probably start having major impacts on the democratic system. Would that be fair? 

The problem with the entire "it's a private company so they can do whatever they want" is that these pri ate companies, especially when they collaborate together, has more control and power than the government does. When they start acting based on politics then it undermines the democratic system, which is very, very dangerous. 

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

This is false in the US. For example a bakery was sued (and found guilty) for refusing to bake a wedding cake to a gay couple. 

Imagine if all farmers got together and said "we will from now on refuse to sell food to people who vote left", and the banks going "if you vote left then we will not lend you any money". That is essentially what is happening online, except instead of farmers its hosting platforms. 

It would absolutely cripple anyone who voted left, and would probably start having major impacts on the democratic system. Would that be fair? 

The problem with the entire "it's a private company so they can do whatever they want" is that these pri ate companies, especially when they collaborate together, has more control and power than the government does. When they start acting based on politics then it undermines the democratic system, which is very, very dangerous. 

There is a difference between "voting right" and engaging in relentless hate against minorities. But in case you missed it, the left has been socially repressed in the US for decades throughout the 20th century. And this was state repression, not just companies deciding they disliked the most extreme leftists.

Don't like companies having excessive power over your life? Maybe you should consider socialism.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

How is discrimination and consumer affairs the same as censorship or corporate contracts?

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Again, that doesn't matter. Modern Vietnam is quite chill from what I hear though.

It does matter, quite a bit,  We still get a lot of Vietnamese asylum seekers here in Australia,  We have anywhere up to 6000 new every year. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

also that might not be the best example since the baker won in the supreme court

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

also that might not be the best example since the baker won in the supreme court

I mean, I think there's a pretty big difference between a small business and a huge corporation.

Plus, if that case was about a provider (like cloudflare in this case) refusing to give the baker (8chan in this case) the ingredients to bake the cake, I'm pretty sure the couple would have won. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

10 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I mean, I think there's a pretty big difference between a small business and a huge corporation.

Plus, if that case was about a provider (like cloudflare in this case) refusing to give the baker (8chan in this case) the ingredients to bake the cake, I'm pretty sure the couple would have won. 

I don't think 8ch can argue discrimination if cloudflare can prove that providing 8ch with their services is not a viable option due to the degraded PR and the fact they are a high target for ddos.  

47 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It does matter, quite a bit

No, it really doesn't. If an object is large and pink that does not mean that all large objects must be pink.

People also seek asylum from the US.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't think 8ch can argue discrimination if cloudflare can prove that providing 8ch with their services is not a viable option due to the degraded PR and the fact they are a high target for ddos.  

Perhaps, but isn't DDoS protection one of the things they do? Protecting a target like 8chan could potentially help them improve their services even more. And honestly tho, I doubt it was even that bad for PR. Before this I didn't even know that cloudflare hosted 8chan and I didn't see anyone blame cloudflare for this. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

they probably dont even have to prove that. they could say we hate the number 8 and prefer that number 7 and thats why we stopped hosting them and 8chan cant do anything