Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

Mr_Troll

Soon, you won't be able to get Game Ready drivers for your GeForce graphics card unless you hand your email address over to Nvidia.

nvidia-game-ready-100621939-large.png

Nvidia’s pushing out a new beta version of its slick GeForce Experience software Thursday, building atop the awesome update from last month that lets you play local co-op with your far away friends - even if they don’t have gaming machines.

The update adds the ability to broadcast your games to both Twitch and YouTube Gaming at a buttery-smooth 60 frames per second at 1080p resolution. You can now stream games from your GeForce-equipped PC to an Nvidia Shield device at up to 60 fps at 4K resolution, and that’s with 5.1-channel surround sound, too. It’s all wonderful stuff, pushing Nvidia’s class-leading GeForce Experience software even further out in front of the competition, especially if you’re all-in on Nvidia’s ecosystem.

twitch-broadcasting-gfe-100621940-large.

But what’s coming today isn’t the real news, even if it’s welcome news. The real news is what’s coming in December—or rather, what’s not coming after December.

Of drivers and single-source destinations

One of the key weapons in Nvidia’s arsenal against AMD is its deluge of Game Ready drivers. Virtually every major PC game release in the past two years has been accompanied by a day one, WHQL-certified Game Ready driver from Nvidia, designed to make the latest and greatest games run wonderfully on GeForce graphics cards. They’re great!

Sometime in mid-December, however, you’ll be able to install Game Ready drivers only via GeForce Experience—and even then only after you’ve registered a verified email address with Nvidia. The drivers you can grab on GeForce.com or via Windows Update will be limited to quarterly releases for bug fixes, new features, security updates and so on.

nvidia-game-ready-driver-support-1006219

“We kind of have two camps in terms of gamers,” Nvidia’s Sean Pelletier said in a group call with journalists. “On one hand you have the gamer that’s just casually playing things here and there, using their system for daily use and gaming on the side. They don’t want to be inundated with these [Game Ready] drivers.

“On the other side of the equation you have enthusiast gamers, who get excited about preloading a game, who want to play a game the day it comes out with all the bells and whistles,” Pelletier continued. “That’s obviously the demographic we’re looking at for Game Ready drivers. We’re targeting GFE as a single-source destination for those gamers.”

nvidia-broadcast-gfe-100621941-large.png

GeForce Experience has long functioned as a control hub of sorts for Nvidia users, offering one-click game optimization, easy driver downloads, the impressive Shadowplay video capture tool, the ability to stream PC games to Shield devices, and more. It’s great!—just like Nvidia’s Game Ready drivers.

But while Nvidia reps tried to downplay the upcoming registration requirement by pointing out that “mid- to high-90 percent” of Nvidia owners already apply updates via GeForce Experience, the fact stands that currently, you can bask in all those value-adding features—and drivers—without ever having to register with Nvidia or officially log into GFE. Nvidia plans to add more functionality to GFE in its quest to make the software a “single-source destination” for PC gamers, however. PC gaming news will make its way into GeForce Experience, as well as hardware giveaways and early access to games. It’s easy to envision Nvidia leveraging GeForce Experience to pass out codes for beta access to games, rather than relying on website-based giveaways as it did with the recent Rainbow Six Siege beta. One day, the free games that Nvidia bundles with its cards could even conceivably be delivered via GFE, similar to how Nvidia offered free Witcher 3 copies to Titan X owners earlier this year. Game-based goodies like that would basically require you to log in to register, anyway—as they have in the past.But locking Game Ready drivers away unless you hand over your email address to Nvidia just feels icky—like an overreach that benefits Nvidia more than actual gamers. Alas, most gamers will likely wind up handing over the info, even if they grumble. The allure of Nvidia’s delicious Game Ready drivers is just too great, and once you’ve already invested in a Green Team graphics card, you’re likely to stick with it for a few years before upgrading. You can’t leave performance on the table for that long. And it certainly feels like Nvidia knows it.

So Nvidia want yours email now for graphic drivers . I know its just an email adress ... but knowing how greedy Nvidia is what are going to ask next?.. they might hide them behind a smal fee, subscription or something .... do not like it.

Source : http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993272/software-games/nvidia-plans-to-lock-game-ready-drivers-behind-geforce-experience-registration.html

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

I don't mind personally. I actually use GeForce Experience to control the LEDs on my GPUs and use ShadowPlay and GameStream. I think they should allow the choice, but I won't cry about it.

inb4 the AMD brigade comes in to decry NVIDIA with unsubstantiated claims (I've got no problem with people having objections, I just think the whole DAE NVIDIOTS thing is annoying)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Don't they have all that anyway? I mean it's just your email

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

So Nvidia are copying Ubisoft and Uplay's tactics? Wow...

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Honestly, this only effects a small minority, since 90%+ are using geforce experience anyway

geforce experience is great anyway,

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

plz don't nvidia

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

dude GFE updates my GPU drivers so fast...

its like 2 clicks, 1 minute, and done :)

I dont see why giving them your email is so bad...i mean its not like 20 other companies dont have it already

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It doesn't have any effect on me but I can see why this is going to be annoying for a few people.

Sig under construction.

dude GFE updates my GPU drivers so fast...

its like 2 clicks, 1 minute, and done :)

I dont see why giving them your email is so bad...i mean its not like 20 other companies have it already

Spam? Like most others do.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

fuck that, i'm already annoyed with geforce expire being crap sitting in my hard drive because i have a 500 series card which make the software damn near useless, also everytime i try to update drivers via expirience it ALWAYS fails and the download is slower that geforce.com.

with this i'm starting to not consider nvidia cards for when i have money to upgrade.

i don't mind most of the shit the have done recently but putting fucking drivers behind email registration is fucking moronic IMO.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I dont care. Fucked up shit EA&co are pulling off concerns me more.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I don't mind personally. I actually use GeForce Experience to control the LEDs on my GPUs and use ShadowPlay and GameStream. I think they should allow the choice, but I won't cry about it.

inb4 the AMD brigade comes in to decry NVIDIA with unsubstantiated claims (I've got no problem with people having objections, I just think the whole DAE NVIDIOTS thing is annoying)

Yes I'll be that guy: I came here expecting nothing but rationalizations about how it is a good thing to give up your email, first reply so 10/10 you guys are vigilant.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Separate email address for spam. Like a lot of people do. 

I still have to go and delete them else I get my other emails spammed by the first email company for the thing being full >.<

you know that there is an "unsubscribe" button at the bottom of every one of those emails, right?

there was a law passed several years ago that made that a requirement

so you can unsubscribe from pretty much any legal "newsletter" (of course the illegal stuff like pills and what not dont allow you to do that)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you know that there is an "unsubscribe" button at the bottom of every one of those emails, right?

there was a law passed several years ago that made that a requirement

so you can unsubscribe from pretty much any legal "newsletter" (of course the illegal stuff like pills and what not dont allow you to do that)

Really? There is - I gotta check it out. Thanks!

Honestly, this only effects a small minority, since 90%+ are using geforce experience anyway geforce experience is great anyway,

sure, they can have my e-mail anyday, here...steam has it, microsoft, honda, nintendo, mcdonald, ubisoft, ea games, Amazon, rockstar games, playstation, LG, best buy...who's next, whatever it'S AN EMAIL ADRESS WHO CARE IT'S MEANT TO BE SHARED!

HINT: get a DEDICATED email adress for ALL these companies, and keep your personal adress for PERSONAL STUFF!!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Really? There is - I gotta check it out. Thanks!

yup its in very small text at the bottom of every email

and nvidia isnt an illegal company, so they would also have the option to unsubscribe from email advertising or newsletters

I have used this unsubscribe button for over 10 websites so far, like amazon, ncix, etc... and never got an email back from them (unless it was an order confirmation) so it actually works

Spoiler

Considering I've previously given NVIDIA my email to register game codes, I don't see a problem.

On that same note, why do I have to? It seems annoying at most but not an issue.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

sure, they can have my e-mail anyday, here...steam has it, microsoft, honda, nintendo, mcdonald, ubisoft, ea games, Amazon, rockstar games, playstation, LG, best buy...who's next, whatever it'S AN EMAIL ADRESS WHO CARE IT'S MEANT TO BE SHARED!

HINT: get a DEDICATED email adress for ALL these companies, and keep your personal adress for PERSONAL STUFF!!

Absolutely, I literally dont give a fuck about giving out my email address, especially when it comes to nvidia or other companies like that

Yes I'll be that guy: I came here expecting nothing but rationalizations about how it is a good thing to give up your email, first reply so 10/10 you guys are vigilant.

I wouldn't rationalise it as good, but I equally dont care 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Considering I've previously given NVIDIA my email to register game codes, I don't see a problem.

On that same note, why do I have to? It seems annoying at most but not an issue.

it would be useful to have customers emails in case something bad happens, like how ltt got hacked and had to send emails to let everyone know of what happened and how to fix it

Spoiler

Separate email address for spam. Like a lot of people do. 

Most spam is just news letters you signed up for, and all those type now legally have to have a 1 click unsubscribe button at the bottom, usually in plan text. 99% of the "spam" people get they chose to get it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

It seems annoying at most but not an issue.

The issue is not the email, its using geforce experience to download drivers, instead of getting them from geforce.com/drivers, which means you can configure the install options, like clean installation and unselecting HD audio and 3D vision (and geforce experience for those who don't use shadowplay)

The issue is not the email, its using geforce experience to download drivers, instead of getting them from geforce.com/drivers, which means you can configure the install options, like clean installation and unselecting HD audio and 3D vision (and geforce experience for those who don't use shadowplay)

I doubt 90% of people do that, and just download and install the whole thing, I certainly do, I just let the whole thing install

Great.... Geoforce experience is already useless. It's piece of crap at least for 700M series. And now I'll have to deal with "Drivers failed to install" every time. :|

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB