Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

Mr_Troll

I use GFE for Shadow Play and driver updates...and it works pretty much flawless on my machine, so no complaints here,

but I can see why this move will be an issue for some.

More choice can never be a bad thing.

All driver developers have to send their drivers to Microsoft to be tested and digitally signed before they can be made available to the public. That includes Nvidia's game-ready drivers, so, if Microsoft already has those drivers, can't they just put them on Windows Update ? Can Nvidia stop Microsoft from doing that ?

Also, what's to stop people who use GeForce Experience to download game-ready drivers from putting those drivers on torrent sites.

This was a joke aimed at the GTX 200 series and it was somewhat applicable to Fermi (480), since they ran so damn hot.

Don't see the relevance.

Oh i'm surprised you don't see the joke. AMD has always been late to the party with their drivers. And they don't roll out new drivers as fast as Nvidia does. Nvidia rolls out many new drivers but as you have known many peeps had a hell load of problems with their drivers. 

Pretty applicable here.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Oh i'm surprised you don't see the joke. AMD has always been late to the party with their drivers. And they don't roll out new drivers as fast as Nvidia does. Nvidia rolls out many new drivers but as you have known many peeps had a hell load of problems with their drivers. 

Pretty applicable here.

Well maybe it's because I don't aproach this that simplistically. This is;

>implying the AMD Drivers that do roll out are any better and don't cause people an equal amount of problems.

>implying nvidia users, after being used to more stable drivers during the last period, don't have a higher expectation bias towards drivers and don't condemn "ok" drivers to "bad" drivers.

I'm not glad they're forcing this on me, let me be upfront with that. But somehow, with mental gymnastics, trying to turn this into AMD's favor is really stretching it too far. AMD's drivers are still absolute tosh compared to nvidia's. As is evident by their drawcall limitations and thus restrictive force on their hardware.

NO NO NO!

as a GTX 970 owner, NOPE!

I don't want GFE, it's useless for me. It slows my Windows boot time.

Fuck me if I don't use it?

I have some bad experiences with GFE, it hates me.

Well maybe it's because I don't aproach this that simplistically. This is;

>implying the AMD Drivers that do roll out are any better and don't cause people an equal amount of problems.

>implying nvidia users, after being used to more stable drivers during the last period, don't have a higher expectation bias towards drivers and don't condemn "ok" drivers to "bad" drivers.

I'm not glad they're forcing this on me, let me be upfront with that. But somehow, with mental gymnastics, trying to turn this into AMD's favor is really stretching it too far. AMD's drivers are still absolute tosh compared to nvidia's. As is evident by their drawcall limitations and thus restrictive force on their hardware.

Man.... Seriously... Give me a break... I can't poke fun at 2 companies without that one person who always being so uptight. Goodness have you seen me say which driver is better? I even explained why and what I thought of that image and you have to go off running your mouth off to say what I was implying. Of course, you were right about the first thing I was trying to imply. And its not hard to see why. go back a few months and you have loads of users in this forum reporting problems with their drivers. Where as not as many were reported on the AMD side. You don't see as many people (if not any) reporting crash on chrome with their AMD gpu.  

Now the rest is just bullshit. I still have my laptop that is running a Nvidia GPU. I'm still using drivers from Nvidia. And I fully know the speed in which both companies release new drivers. Back off will ya? Can't I just point out 2 different flaws from the 2 different companies?    

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just...Why? This is fucked up. So I'll have to torrent drivers in the future? What the frek is going on with this world? Stop forcing that geforce crapxperience on me. sigh....

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

No, i'm really not keen on sensationalistic/snarky remarks. Internet is full of that shit already.

Alright, and?

So what should I do now? GFE have never worked for me for driver updates, the installation always fail unless I download them from the website.

Except when it's updating GFE itself, then it's flawless, I get new versions of GFE everytime its released, just not the drivers.

If this truly happens, does that mean that I wont be able to use any of the Game Ready drivers in the future? Because GFE don't work for me? I thought having a Nvidia card entitles me for every driver Nvidia releases for the card, apparently no?

Why I have a feeling that Nvidia will soon be charging for drivers. Like you buy a graphics card, and get 1-2 years 'free drivers support'. You want more? Buy a new GPU or pay a yearly fee.

Also, all the drivers fiasco with Windows 10 with Nvidia GPU, was because of GeForce Experience. Do you guys really install this garbage? To me it is like the Nvidia failed product 3D Vision. Nvidia think that everyone has their 3D Vision product, but like virtually no one has it. I bet most Nvidia employees don't even have it, yet they force install them if you go 'Express', and again, it has a history to cause performance or other problem in some games. Bloat for nothing.

I doubt that will ever happen. That is like taking a shotgun and shooting themselves in the foot and then taking a grenade, pulling the pin and then swallowing it

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

I doubt that will ever happen. That is like taking a shotgun and shooting themselves in the foot and then taking a grenade, pulling the pin and then swallowing it

Not really. How many people will genuinely buy an AMD cards? Most will remain with Nvidia, until AMD has a seriously competing product in all aspects, including power usage. With the current state of where AMD is going, it doesn't look like it will be any time soon, and Nvidia continues to win market share year after year.

Nvidia sends engineers on site of big studios to optimize games shader (I don't think I need to post a source on this well known fact), and they do get their hands on the game before anyone else, to start optimizing the drivers for the big game, and re-test the drivers for all previous games, to make sure nothing broke, or doesn't miss detect some other game as the new game and has now poor performance.

This service costs money, and if you check the company revenues, it is not really increasing. Just a bit due to the popularity of GeForce products growing, but that was never the mass revenue of Nvidia unlike AMD Radeon devision. Nvidia makes most of it's money from the Tesla's and Quadro's. That is why the company tries to diversify.

They tried:

-> Mobile CPUs/GPUs (Tegra): No one is interested, and those that do, by the time they make their mind and order some, the chip is old, by the time the product is really out in consumers hand, it way past its time, and the competition is 1-2 generations ahead.

-> Cars dashboard system (still not going anywhere. Car companies are not focused in providing smooth experience, beside Audi. They are a car company, not a hardware/software company. They go with what is cheap only (super outdated GPUs and CPUs that cost <5-10$ each)). Don't believe me? A raspberry pi, a 35$ entire system, with many features that cost money that cars systems don't need like the analogue/digital pin in/outs (so you can subtract 5-10$ from the price), done in limited order (larger order would make it cost less, obviously), and that runs far more complex things and smoother, than what most car navigation system/dashboard screen thingy.

-> Nvidia Shield the Console, Nvidia Shield the handheld device, Nvidia Shield the tablet. All don't sale. Consumers aren't interested

Now Nvidia is trying to push it's GRID platform to the industry, and Nvidia game streaming service. We have to see how those goes. While I can't comment on the GRID platform, the Gaming streaming service is not something that people tend to talk about, so I don't think it will do well, despite the 8$ price point.

So on this note, I see no reason why Nvidia would not charge for their 'Game Ready' drivers in the future. I am thinking 30$ or 50$ per year.

So on this note, I see no reason why Nvidia would not charge for their 'Game Ready' drivers in the future. I am thinking 30$ or 50$ per year.

That would be dumb and a good way to shoot themselves in the foot. If that happens to be the case, I'd easily switch to AMD even if I had less driver updates.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

• 2 weeks later...

Not really. How many people will genuinely buy an AMD cards? Most will remain with Nvidia, until AMD has a seriously competing product in all aspects, including power usage. With the current state of where AMD is going, it doesn't look like it will be any time soon, and Nvidia continues to win market share year after year.

Nvidia sends engineers on site of big studios to optimize games shader (I don't think I need to post a source on this well known fact), and they do get their hands on the game before anyone else, to start optimizing the drivers for the big game, and re-test the drivers for all previous games, to make sure nothing broke, or doesn't miss detect some other game as the new game and has now poor performance.

This service costs money, and if you check the company revenues, it is not really increasing. Just a bit due to the popularity of GeForce products growing, but that was never the mass revenue of Nvidia unlike AMD Radeon devision. Nvidia makes most of it's money from the Tesla's and Quadro's. That is why the company tries to diversify.

They tried:

-> Mobile CPUs/GPUs (Tegra): No one is interested, and those that do, by the time they make their mind and order some, the chip is old, by the time the product is really out in consumers hand, it way past its time, and the competition is 1-2 generations ahead.

-> Cars dashboard system (still not going anywhere. Car companies are not focused in providing smooth experience, beside Audi. They are a car company, not a hardware/software company. They go with what is cheap only (super outdated GPUs and CPUs that cost <5-10$ each)). Don't believe me? A raspberry pi, a 35$ entire system, with many features that cost money that cars systems don't need like the analogue/digital pin in/outs (so you can subtract 5-10$ from the price), done in limited order (larger order would make it cost less, obviously), and that runs far more complex things and smoother, than what most car navigation system/dashboard screen thingy.

-> Nvidia Shield the Console, Nvidia Shield the handheld device, Nvidia Shield the tablet. All don't sale. Consumers aren't interested

Now Nvidia is trying to push it's GRID platform to the industry, and Nvidia game streaming service. We have to see how those goes. While I can't comment on the GRID platform, the Gaming streaming service is not something that people tend to talk about, so I don't think it will do well, despite the 8$ price point.

Any company who charges for a basic service like that, in my eyes, can eat shit. I'll never pay for a driver.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Any company who charges for a basic service like that, in my eyes, can eat shit. I'll never pay for a driver.

inb4 "Breaking news: Game Ready drivers now require a yearly subscription of only 99.99$"

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6