Took my cracked Apple Watch into the pool with me..

robotxbot

So I’ve had this Apple Watch for about 2 days, and today I decided to go swimming with friends at a pool. I totally forgot that my watch had a crack on the upper left corner and I noticed it restarting itself after about 1 minute, where I then left it on a bench. I came back to it not turning on at all. I went home and tried to charge it for about 2 minutes and when nothing happened, I blowdried it with a heat gun on the cold setting for about 5 minutes and then decided I was going to open up the watch to let it dry. I opened it up successfully, to which I noticed the battery and the haptic engine wasn’t wet but pretty moist. It s been about 3 hours, and it’s still not showing signs of life. Am I cooked? Basically is there anyway I can save this watch? It’s an Apple Watch SE that I picked up from Facebook for 40$

Yeah bro, you are pretty cooked. The worst thing you could have done is plug it in and attempt to charge it while still wet. 

For future reference, whenever you get electronics wet: turn them off immediately, remove power source (ie. battery if possible), clean with isopropyl alcohol then leave to dry for an extended period of time. Only then can you add back in the power source and attempt to turn back on. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Cracked an Apple Watch 2 days into owning it and then brought it into a pool, before then plugging it in to charge.

Bruh

3 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Cracked an Apple Watch 2 days into owning it

Did you read OP's post? He purchased used, and given the price I imagine he purchased it cracked.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

12 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Yeah bro, you are pretty cooked. The worst thing you could have done is plug it in and attempt to charge it while still wet. 

For future reference, whenever you get electronics wet: turn them off immediately, remove power source (ie. battery if possible), clean with isopropyl alcohol then leave to dry for an extended period of time. Only then can you add back in the power source and attempt to turn back on. 

Wondering about the science behind it, if it isn’t turning on anymore anyways, hasn’t the short circuit or whatever that is causing it to not work have had already happened? I mean for like computers I understand because you can flip that power switch but for a watch it’s not like I can just “unplug” it

Press F to pay respects, that watch is done.

You can try leaving it to dry for a few days, but I doubt it's coming back to life.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Try the Apple store but they will charge you for repair.

1 hour ago, robotxbot said:

Wondering about the science behind it, if it isn’t turning on anymore anyways, hasn’t the short circuit or whatever that is causing it to not work have had already happened? I mean for like computers I understand because you can flip that power switch but for a watch it’s not like I can just “unplug” it

The science behind it was that the "first" time it got wet, drained the battery or the moisture detection sensor prevents it(if it has one). Which is why it won't turn on. What you should have done is to let it dry, like buy a pack or rice and put it there for a day or two. What killed it is when you tried to charge it while it's still wet. That goes with any appliances or even computer, that shuts off after being wet. If you dry it properly before trying again, there's still a possibility that it would still work. Plugging a wet device would fry it's circuits.