New Build will not POST, Boot/VGA Red Light

Hi everyone!

I'm attempting my first build and having issues with it POSTing, even after a full tear down and reassembly. The Boot/VGA light on the motherboard is coming on after I manually activate the power with the pins on the motherboard. Briefly before these light up, the Cpu/Ram lights also turn on before turning off, but after looking around this seems to be expected behavior. I've tried plugging the graphics card into the PCIE3 slot below the SSD, but got no luck from that port either. Inspecting the Graphics card the connection seems fine, and nothing seems wrong itself with the card. The CPU and GPU fans do start spinning after boot, so the GPU seems to be getting power.

Here's my parts list:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600.

Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4

SSD: Samsung 990 Evo Plus

Graphics Card: XFX Speedster Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB

Power Supply: Seasonic Focus GX-750W 80+ Gold.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB DDR4-3200.

I've also included pictures of the graphics card here, and pictures of the connection on the motherboard below.

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Edited by alittleepsilon
Forgot to include that the gpu fans start

Pictures of the Motherboard PCIE slots which I used.

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

11 minutes ago, alittleepsilon said:

Hi everyone!

I'm attempting my first build and having issues with it POSTing, even after a full tear down and reassembly. The Boot/VGA light on the motherboard is coming on after I manually activate the power with the pins on the motherboard. Briefly before these light up, the Cpu/Ram lights also turn on before turning off, but after looking around this seems to be expected behavior. I've tried plugging the graphics card into the PCIE3 slot below the SSD, but got no luck from that port either. Inspecting the Graphics card the connection seems fine, and nothing seems wrong itself with the card. The CPU and GPU fans do start spinning after boot, so the GPU seems to be getting power.

Here's my parts list:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600.

Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4

SSD: Samsung 990 Evo Plus

Graphics Card: XFX Speedster Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB

Power Supply: Seasonic Focus GX-750W 80+ Gold.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB DDR4-3200.

I've also included pictures of the graphics card here, and pictures of the connection on the motherboard below.

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

This answer may be silly but the power supply cables are connected to the graphics card right? I see your a first time builder and it may be a very simple mistake

46 minutes ago, robotxbot said:

This answer may be silly but the power supply cables are connected to the graphics card right? I see your a first time builder and it may be a very simple mistake

Yes! The fans spin up for the GPU, it takes two 8-pin inputs and all of them are plugged in 🙂

How long did you wait? when you say boot/vga red light, are they cycling? Meaning it changes from boot to vga to ram or are they solid light on one or both of them? Because it's a ryzen, I should expected that you googled this already, but just to be sure, there are times that it would take a long time for the first boot. Lastly, just to be sure(again), is the hdmi/DP connected to the back of the motherboard or the gpu?

The EZ Debug lights for Boot and VGA mean there is an issue with the GPU (Video Card) and the PC is not booting. 

Remove the GPU and use the Onboard HDMI. 

If that works, test the GPU on another computer, or put it back in and make sure both power cables from the PSU are plugged in to the card. 

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

Not likely related, but your wifi card is not properly seated.

19 hours ago, kitnoman said:

How long did you wait? when you say boot/vga red light, are they cycling? Meaning it changes from boot to vga to ram or are they solid light on one or both of them? Because it's a ryzen, I should expected that you googled this already, but just to be sure, there are times that it would take a long time for the first boot. Lastly, just to be sure(again), is the hdmi/DP connected to the back of the motherboard or the gpu?

I've been waiting for a few minutes. There's no cycling between the lights. And yes the hdmi is connected to the GPU directly! I will try waiting longer on my next boot and let you know how it goes 🙂

16 hours ago, spunk.funk said:

The EZ Debug lights for Boot and VGA mean there is an issue with the GPU (Video Card) and the PC is not booting. 

If that works, test the GPU on another computer, or put it back in and make sure both power cables from the PSU are plugged in to the card. 

I believe this cpu does not have integrated graphics, so I don't think this is an option for me. I would try testing the GPU on another computer but since this is my first build I don't have one available.

16 hours ago, REHED said:

Not likely related, but your wifi card is not properly seated.

Thanks for the catch! Will fix this when I get home 🙂

On 4/27/2024 at 8:01 PM, spunk.funk said:

going by what you listed in the OP, if this is your model

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B550M Pro4/index.us.asp#Manual

Then you have onboard integrated Display Port and HDMI ports on the motherboard. 

You have to remove the GPU and use the Integrated HDMI or DP Port on the motherboard to test if it is the GPU that is causing the problem.

If that doesn't work, Clear CMOS 

https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630

You can post in their Forum if you still need help

If all else fails, then the motherboard is probably damaged and needs to be returned. 

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )