What are some of the most influential and interesting CPUs of all time?

For my final paper in one of my classes I am writing about the progression of CPU hardware. I am pretty knowledgeable about everything DDR3 and newer but lack a lot of perspective before that. What CPUs, new or old, should I look into for a starting point? What CPUs had a major impact and which ones are particularly interesting (FX-9590)? Thank you for any assistance!

AMD's older FX CPUs(FX-51 as an example) were pretty incredible for the time compared to what Intel was offering. 

A Hexus review from 2004 of the FX-51 for a raytracing benchmark put the FX51(2.2GHz) at 59.73FPS, compared to Intel's P4 running at 3.2GHz(41.17FPS), and 2.4GHz(31.38FPS). This was back when Intel and AMD were both just chasing clock speeds, and there were estimates of the cooling requirements due to this, since neither one made an effort to improve the actual architecture, until AMD stepped up. 

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/625-amd-athlon64-fx-51/

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2600K-2700K-2500K-3770K-3570K

If you pretty much built a computer with one of the said CPUs in 2010 to 2012. You were pretty much set for the next 8 years. IPC gains were extremely significant over pre SB architectures.

Before that, maybe I could recommend Q6600 from 2007. If you got that in 2007, you were good for a long while.

I dont know much about AMDs history to be honest.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Nahalem chips like the i7 920. It's the first chip to do integrated memory controllers and was the start of the Intel HEDT platform. Also it was relevant for performance for nearly a decade, but that's more because of the lack of innovation than these chips being particularly excellent. 

The AMD64 instruction set, while not a CPU, it is something that is active on any 64 bit system running in the mainstream today.

So anything that was on s754/940/939 would have brought that to us. I have a soft spot for Sandiego/Toledo cores..

Core 2 was awesome, Core i7 was awesome.. pretty much Intel until Zen 2ish? Now its back and forth again.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Core 2 Duo was the start of the modern CPU era - performance/efficiency were far more balanced compared to Pentium 4/K9 architecture, soldered chips in laptops became far more common, and they're still relevant and usable today.

First Core i-series was the next big innovtion because literally nothing has changed system architecture-wise since then, with the northbridge being moved onto the CPU instead of being on the motherboard.

QX9775, an absurdly high end core2 quad meant for the skulltrail platform, dual socket 771 top of the line stuff that was one of the first examples of “HEDT”, specialized products meant to bridge the gap between workstations and enthusiasts. 

The Athlon 5350 and kabini APUs on AM1 in general. AM1 was a socketed SoC platform, which we haven’t really seen since, SoC stuff otherwise is always soldered onboard. SoC platforms are where the components normally found in chipsets are instead integrated into the CPU. What this did was make motherboard manufacturing for them extremely cheap, you could buy new AM1 boards for $20. 
There was really nothing stopping AM1 from becoming a forever socket, where AMD could just make new AM1 APUs as they deemed fit to suit that market every generation, since there was no concern over platform compatibility, only the limitations of the physical socket. They did not pursue that since the demand just wasn’t there.

The Pentium E6500k is the first cpu to use the K designation to indicate it was meant for overclocking.

i5 L16g7 and the i3 L13g4 are some of the only 5 core x86 CPUs out there. Why? No clue. They’re only found in some really niche ultra books like the thinkpad x1 fold, so it’s not out of the question that they exist for the sole purpose of being weird.

The i7 5775c was a kind of half failed generation? Braswell, the forgotten step between haswell and broadwell. They’re Z97 compatible 1150 CPUs, there’s only two, an i7 and i5, and they have the Iris Pro 6200 igpu which is a substantial step up from haswell offerings. Presumably these failed because of platform limitations, they didn’t want to put the generation on a DDR3 platform and scrapped most of the plans for desktop broadwell, instead focusing on skylake.

Zilog Z80, Motorola M6809, and Intel 8088. They made personal computers possible. 

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Maybe you should write a paper about negative effects of corporate greed on computer hardware instead...

For example Intel suing others for using names like 486 and then moving to naming chips Pentium because judges decided numbers couldn't be copyrighted.

Intel deciding to patent and no longer license cpu sockets to other cpu manufacturers (hence why AMD and others kept using Socket 7, later named Super Socket 7) and why companies like Cyrix were sold to Via and why Via kept releasing cpus on socket 370 (because they had license up to socket 370) and now they make mostly bga cpus, like the ones for laptops.

How Intel bribed computer manufacturers to only sell Intel based computers, how AMD won lawsuits for this and Intel was supposed to more than a billion dollars Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. v. Intel Corp. - Wikipedia

As for advances, the AMD64 instruction set won over Intel's 64 bit extension for the good of the everyone... Intel was working on IA64 at that time, expensive and slow.. would be worth talking about those first 64 bit consumer processors.

Core processors were indeed great, a significant improvement over the Pentium 4 netburst architecture, which was designed to achieve high clocks but was hot and power hungry.  They were also great in laptops.

LowSpecGamer on Youtube has a series of videos about ARM, Z80, 6502, etc they're pretty well researched : https://www.youtube.com/@LowSpecGamer/videos

25 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Core processors were indeed great, a significant improvement over the Pentium 4 netburst architecture, which was designed to achieve high clocks but was hot and power hungry.  They were also great in laptops.

also apparently (according to what I just skimmed off of Wiki) Pentium 4 was one of the first CPUs to do SMT or Hyper-Threading, which barely increased die area while more greatly increased performance with the only drawback of certain bugs and power draw requirement (though expected for new tech)

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

In the PC prehistory, the 386DX (1986 or so ?) was a breakthrough, like 4x faster than the basic 8086 of the early 80s 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

I presume this is in the context of x86. I'm a bit rusty with the older ones now as it is so long ago.

I'd give a nod to 486 as the first to have a FPU included as standard, although cut down versions were also made without.

AMD won the CPU race to 1 GHz. Intel tried to gain marketing credits by released the first post 1 GHz CPU. Unfortunately for them it was shown to be unstable so they cancelled it. You'd have to look up the specific model names.

HT was introduced with Pentium 4. This offered a potential boost for threaded software at a cost of a die area increase of <5%.

There were many SIMD instructions through the years. Today AVX rules, which was introduced with Sandy Bridge. In feature updates, Haswell saw the introduction of FMA units, which do a multiply and add which is common in many applications so gave quite a speedup over doing them separately. Skylake-X (and equivalent server offerings) introduced AVX-512, doubling the FP execution width again and adding new instructions which help the data be in the right place at right time. Note consumer implementations (Tiger Lake, Rocket Lake, Zen 4) don't have the increased execution width, although the other extensions still can help significantly.

48 minutes ago, mariushm said:

As for advances, the AMD64 instruction set won over Intel's 64 bit extension for the good of the everyone... Intel was working on IA64 at that time, expensive and slow.. would be worth talking about those first 64 bit consumer processors.

I would argue this point. AMD64 is a very AMD solution. It appears good at first glance but has shortcomings compared to a designed from ground up 64 bit architecture. Having said that, with modern advances a lot of it is mitigated or could be worked around through additional features like those introduced by AVX-512.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Nahalem chips like the i7 920. It's the first chip to do integrated memory controllers and was the start of the Intel HEDT platform. Also it was relevant for performance for nearly a decade, but that's more because of the lack of innovation than these chips being particularly excellent. 

I still say that the i7-950 is my favorite CPU of all the CPU's I have owned over the years.
Mine overclocked from 3.06ghz to 3.8ghhz and ran like a dream. What a beast 🙂

3 hours ago, Nicktheflick said:

For my final paper in one of my classes I am writing about the progression of CPU hardware. I am pretty knowledgeable about everything DDR3 and newer but lack a lot of perspective before that. What CPUs, new or old, should I look into for a starting point? What CPUs had a major impact and which ones are particularly interesting (FX-9590)? Thank you for any assistance!

Mos 6502
Motorola 68000
Zilog Z80
Intel 8080 
should be your pre x86 foundations

unless you want to go pre microprocessor Then you have things like the Apollo or Babbage

The 8086 for sure since it introduced the core instruction set we're still using today. 

Other honorable mentions include AMDs first 64 bit CPUs and the Intel hyper threaded 3.06 ghz P4 chip. I had one of those back in the day and it was an amazing CPU.

One milestone was when AMD introduced Socket 754, the first commercially available 64 bit capable CPU to the public market at large.
It was only capable of single channel RAM operation at the time but then Socket 939 came out correcting this limitation.

3 hours ago, freeagent said:

The AMD64 instruction set, while not a CPU, it is something that is active on any 64 bit system running in the mainstream today.

So anything that was on s754/940/939 would have brought that to us. I have a soft spot for Sandiego/Toledo cores..

Core 2 was awesome, Core i7 was awesome.. pretty much Intel until Zen 2ish? Now its back and forth again.

I love my San Diego's and Toldeo's too - And Denmark cores (Opteron) as well.
All of those for 939 were good and fun to mess with.

There were several Socket 775 chips that made a real splash as well.
Probrably the one mentioned most being the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, that one being popular because of how far it can be OC'ed beyond stock but others like the Wolfdale series are popular too.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 hours ago, superbrett2000 said:

The 8086 for sure since it introduced the core instruction set we're still using today. 

Other honorable mentions include AMDs first 64 bit CPUs and the Intel hyper threaded 3.06 ghz P4 chip. I had one of those back in the day and it was an amazing CPU.

Disregard my stupidity

The first 64-bit CPU (some AMD FX)

The first dual-core consumer CPU (also AMD, IIRC)

Core 2 Duo - a huge leap over Pentium 4 / Pentium D, and first truly mainstream dual-core 64-bits CPUs.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 - also not the first quad-core, but the first mainstream one.

Sandy Bridge - not as big a leap, but a very good and long-lasting generation overall. The first AVX CPUs, probably?

Intel 6950X was pretty amazing at the time.

Zen 1 release (esp. the 8-core parts - Ryzen 1700/1700X1800X) was very influential in breaking the stagnation, as well as Intel's de-facto monopoly. Also Threadripper 1950X - the first 16-core non-server CPU.

43 minutes ago, VioletGiraffe said:

The first 64-bit CPU (some AMD FX)

The first dual-core consumer CPU (also AMD, IIRC)

If my memory isn't off, the first dual core CPUs were Athlon X2. Intel had introduced HT with P4 before then so people already had access to 2 thread systems in mainstream, but joined in on dual cores with Pentium D. Dual CPU systems were also consumer affordable before then. Abit BP6 mobo was my first, running dual Celerons 366@550 MHz.

The first 64 bit CPUs were Athlon 64. I don't think they used FX name yet.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 minutes ago, porina said:

If my memory isn't off, the first dual core CPUs were Athlon X2. Intel had introduced HT with P4 before then so people already had access to 2 thread systems in mainstream, but joined in on dual cores with Pentium D. Dual CPU systems were also consumer affordable before then. Abit BP6 mobo was my first, running dual Celerons 366@550 MHz.

The first 64 bit CPUs were Athlon 64. I don't think they used FX name yet.

Note that there were others before AMD made theirs, what's refered to by the above is what was available for a home/desktop computer for consumers (Like us) but there were certainly older ones such as the Nintendo 64 console, which was released in 1996.

Here's some sources to refer to:
Multi-core processor - Wikipedia

64-bit computing - Wikipedia

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

18 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

what's refered to by the above is what was available for a home/desktop computer for consumers (Like us)

Got it. I didn't want to repeatedly say consumer x86 in front of everything so that was implied.

I will do something else than what other people here are doing and mention newer stuff. Maybe less when it comes to influential and more to do with interesting. Even if it goes against what OP asked:

• Chiplet designs, both AMD and Intel.
  • The 3D V cache that AMD is doing.
  • Intel doing big little cores with cores that are cut down, while AMD on the server side instead just makes the normal cores smaller.

Is all things I find very interesting.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

486 had good times on it at my friends house

p4 was my first cpu (dont remember witch one my dad said we oced it to 1gh)

the q6600 was quite famous

i7920 was a really cool cpu

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links