Evolution of my build [Pic heavy]

yannickverc

Hello guys.
On January 2nd 2013, exactly 3 years ago, my parents bought me my first gaming PC. Over the past 3 years the evolution of said PC has been quite impressive, even if I say to myself. 
So this very picture heavy thread will guide you through the 3 year journey my PC has taken with me. The ups and some serious downs. (I will later put this thread in my signature as well)

So here goes!

I sadly do not have a picture anymore of how my first gaming setup looked like :( I swear I took a picture and posted it on Facebook but I can't find it anymore :(
It was my dad's old desk with 1 monitor (a Samsung S22B350H, You'll see the monitor in the next picture) and an Acer Predator G5910) Rough specs of that PC: AMD HD 7770, i5 2500K. 

Not that long after I wanted a second monitor. Someone from my mom's work gave one to me. It wasn't a top notch monitor but I was happy with it. The joy of having more than 1 monitor is something you'll never get used to. (Ignore the bottle of Jupiler :P It was International Beer Day and as a Belgian you gotta celebrate that!)

Spoiler

fJxXRCo.jpg

Few weeks after using this very, very old monitor it literally burned. Smoke came out and I panicked quite hard thinking it was my PC. (As you can see on the following picture my PC is straight under where the old monitor used to be.) So I bought a BenQ monitor and thus I had a nice 2 monitor setup! (You can see the Acer Predator in the bottom left of the pic here)

Spoiler

LXX701f.jpg

I'm not sure but I think by the time I had my BenQ monitor I had also upgraded my 7770 to a 7870 black boost edition. It broke down after a few weeks so I got a refund and bought myself a nice AMD R9 290 BF4 edition. (I was playing BF4 about 10-12 hours a day during the weekends back then)

Spoiler

ALrPcrc.jpg

Everything worked fine, I had a sweet GPU. So what could I possible upgrade? Yes, it was time for a new case! I got rid of the Predator case and bought a Zalman Z11+.

Spoiler

ymaIw2A.jpg

The PC itself looked way better now. Some time went by and it started itching. I wanted to upgrade. I wanted a real unique PC. One that would make people go "Wooooow". So I got a 3rd monitor, a new case and an SSD. Now back in the days I was a huge Razer fan. So I made a Razer themed PC. (I even won a contest with my RazerPC and won a unique Razer emblem with it. Only 30 of those in Europe.)

3 monitor setup: (As you can see, literally EVERYTHING was Razer :P )

Spoiler

lc90lNV.jpg

The "famous" RazerPC: (Complete with green LED's, green/black H440, custom green power cables, green fans)

Spoiler

0Rmr1i8.jpg

But then.. My GPU broke. It was still under warranty so I sent it back to the German store I bought it from. (Not sure if I can say the name of said store but the support was HORRIBLE. PM me if you want to know the name of the store.)

It broke end of may 2014, a week before my exams. So I wasn't too sad about it, good results yaay! But time kept going by. I reached out to them and they said they sent it back to Gigabyte. Well ok then, as long as it gets fixed.. 5 weeks later I got it back. (5 WEEKS!!!!) But hey it worked, NP. Below a picture of the fragmenting my GPU had.

Spoiler

L7UCIvS.jpg

Fast forward little over a month. AGAIN the blue fragmenting. Now I had enough of it. I didn't want to sit through 5 weeks of being GPU-less to receive a GPU that would break again after a month anyway.. So I went ham on the German store's support, bullying them on every front and they gave me a full refund. With that money I switched from TeamRed to TeamGreen. Welcome EVGA 780ti !

Spoiler

aQypVvO.jpg

At this point in time I was still rocking my i5 2500K. I absolutely loved the CPU. I had an epic chip and it would go up to 4.8 and 4.9 with ease. It was incredible how good of a chip I had. But I'm a p big hardware fan so I wanted to at least have an i7. So I upgraded my mobo/cpu and cpu-cooler!

Spoiler

Axxcnud.jpg

About halfway 2015 I started looking at some monitors and found out about these beautiful things called ultrawide monitors! I HAD to get one. So I did! I didn't get a 1440P one since the price of those was pretty high here in Belgium. So I got a 2560x1080P one. (Which I'm still so happy with, you can't imagine how nice the supported games look.

Spoiler

CLkEkAT.jpg

This is how the inside of my rig currently looks like:

Spoiler

eECS10j.jpg

The last "upgrade" I got was just a few hours ago. My chair was breaking down so I got that Ikea Markus chair a lot of people seem to enjoy. And I gotta say, it's not a bad chair!

OK, This is quite a big upgrade. I ordered parts for a custom waterloop. I think I might have said this above, but my dream-build was a black/white themed custom water loop cooled system. I started looking for parts (also a cheeky GPU upgrade) but I realised that would cost a bit too much :/ (Was around 2.000€ for that upgrade)

So I let the white/black theme rest and kept going with my green/black. (Also no GPU upgrade, gonna wait till pascal is out) And here is the result!

The parts from EK water blocks:

EK supremacy EVO green, Acetal+nickel GPU block and backplate, green tubes, EK xres 100 DDC pump/res combo, 3x120mm radiator with BeQuiet! silent wings 2 installed on it.

Spoiler

CbzvS18W8AE3d9d.jpg

The result:

Ok it's finally done. Buying/installing the water loop has been 4 hassles and a half... I'll try to keep it short.

So I ordered everything from EK waterblocks. Few days later everything arrived, I was hyped AF. Started building right away. CPU & GPU block were installed, so it was time for the pump/res. (It's a combo unit) On the product page it showed you could install it in a 120mm fan spot, with a special bracket. I turned the box inside-out 7 times, couldn't find the bracket....... Turns out you had to buy it separately... Well, Ordered it with express shipping and luckily it arrived 2 days after. In the meantime I prepped my rad by installing and removing it 3 times. (I didn't plan ahead properly so I had to start over a lot of times)

Bracket arrived, finished up the tubing, filled the loop and leak-tested it. NO leaks hurray \o/ Hooked everything up and, wonder o wonder, booted right away, no problems! 

So here is the result :D

Spoiler

CcFJ0avW4AAOCDc.jpg

Sadly the loop didn't perform as I had hoped it would :( On top of that the pump was defective.. double RIP. So I refunded the parts and got me 2 Kraken x61's! Installed one on my GPU with the Kraken G10 bracket. (Neat stuff from NZXT!)

The result isn't as epic as a custom water loop but holy moly temps are incredible. (Rocket league max settings, 2580x1080, 100FPS cap at 37°C max haha)

Pic:

Spoiler

CcohIHpWAAElQB1.jpg

Thanks for scrolling through the whole adventure :)

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Its so nice to be rich

I'm not really rich. I started doing student jobs from when I was 15. Most of my money went to my PC :) 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Thanks for documenting- looks great now, keep up the good work!

Hello.
My rig;
CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.7GhzRAM: HyperX Fury 8GB vengeance @ 1600MhzGPU: MSI R9 270 2GB, MOBO: MSI Z-97 SLI, PSU: Corsair 750M semi-modular 

Thanks for documenting- looks great now, keep up the good work!

Thanks! Depending how this year goes in terms of work I'll be doing a big upgrade. (Custom water loop and new color theme)

Nice. Bet you had a scare with that smoking monitor!

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

nice! thanks for sharing man.  I had a pretty similar experience, except mine took 10 months and I added a custom loop   :o  severly over budget

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Nice. Bet you had a scare with that smoking monitor!

Yea I yanked out (is this even english?) the plugs of my computer. Start shaking again when I think back at it haha :P 

nice! thanks for sharing man.  I had a pretty similar experience, except mine took 10 months and I added a custom loop   :o  severly over budget

Custom loop is the current dream. Might throw in a 980ti upgrade in there as well. (Or whatever new GPU nvidia releases)

Thanks! Depending how this year goes in terms of work I'll be doing a big upgrade. (Custom water loop and new color theme)

Make sure you document that one as well- I love it so far!

Hello.
My rig;
CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.7GhzRAM: HyperX Fury 8GB vengeance @ 1600MhzGPU: MSI R9 270 2GB, MOBO: MSI Z-97 SLI, PSU: Corsair 750M semi-modular 

Make sure you document that one as well- I love it so far!

Will do! I can keep editing this post.

looking good! :D

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

You went full razer. Never go full razer

What a stupid comment... are you just collecting posts?

The whole build looks actually pretty nice.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

calm it. I never said it was shit. It is quite nice. Personally would have kept the aio. But the black heat sink isn't bad. I just don't like razer stickers

calm it. I never said it was shit. It is quite nice. Personally would have kept the aio. But the black heat sink isn't bad. I just don't like razer stickers

Yea, I was a huge Razer fanboy back then. I now realized that quality >>> brand. The stickers are still there because I'm too lazy to remove them. Probably next time when I blow out my PC

I know how that feels. I like they're mice though

Yea, for a mouse I'd always go with Razer. Keyboard I'll probably get a corsair one next time

I've had the lycosa, blackwidow, naga, 2014 naga, deathadder and now I've got the corsair strafe. I've liked all of them tbh

• 1 month later...

Update 1 added, adding a second one in the next few days. :) 

Final update added!

Sadly had to ditch my loop, hopefully final update now !