Nvidia plans to lock Game Ready drivers behind GeForce Experience registration

Mr_Troll

Would be nice if they didn't require your email. Why do you need an email to download a fucking driver?!

Oh, and made GFE work better too. I have problems with it setting the bar too high or too low when "optimizing" games and the driver installer sometimes hanging for seemingly no reason when attempting to install a new driver.

Outlook.com -> sign up for new email account which you can use for registering stuff like this in the future -> don't care about junk and penis enlargement emails because you don't have to read them

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

seems like one of those things that either bothers someone deeply, or not at all. Doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me, but then again I have AMD, Nvidia, Intel, EVGA Asus etc emails going directly to spam, even their tweets especially their tweets. I imagine a lot of pc gamers do the same.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Great, so now we'll have to get that GFE nonsense?

attachicon.gifnvidia_fuck_you.jpg

Not gonna happen.  Looks like I'll be getting a 390 for Windows gaming then.

thats a bit of an overreaction but hey your loss

considering how much it helps especially with the ease of installing i think you guys are being immature. oh is it bloatware, no its not, oh does it take your email, what the hell doesnt take your email. You computer is likely fast enough to deal with another damn program on it.

errrr this.....

Would be nice if they didn't require your email. Why do you need an email to download a fucking driver?!

Oh, and made GFE work better too. I have problems with it setting the bar too high or too low when "optimizing" games and the driver installer sometimes hanging for seemingly no reason when attempting to install a new driver.

GFE is crap its slow and about the only thing its good for is telling you when there is a new driver.  if it aint broke dont fix it and there was nothing wrong with the old way

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

thats a bit of an overreaction but hey your loss

errrr this.....

GFE is crap its slow and about the only thing its good for is telling you when there is a new driver.  if it aint broke dont fix it and there was nothing wrong with the old way

It also is prone to crashing and it enables the streaming service even if you've never connected a shield tablet to your computer.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That doesn't excuse lack of choice. Oh, and why don't you look at some posts here? The program works like ass, it doesn't work well for everyone. You're immature for thinking this is a good thing.

why do i not believe a word of this. nvidia has a lot of haters, the haters make more noise. they say a program doesnt work when ive installed it in at least 100 computers now and not had a problem with speed or optimization in a array of configurations. They are forcing it because they are tired of people not knowing how to manually download and install drivers, its a curious strategy because its meant for gamers but this is clearly a move for general public

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

why do i not believe a word of this. nvidia has a lot of haters, the haters make more noise. they say a program doesnt work when ive installed it in at least 100 computers now and not had a problem with speed or optimization in a array of configurations. They are forcing it because they are tired of people not knowing how to manually download and install drivers, its a curious strategy because its meant for gamers but this is clearly a move for general public

I'll point out few things. I said few times, I mostly game on my laptop so I've had some issues. 

1) Optimization. I almost max out some games like FFXIV in DX9 and get 45+ FPS 90% of the time and it wants to reduce almost all settings from high to low. Why? Med would be fine but ok. Same goes for Heroes of The Storm. Why would you want to put nerf it that badly if I'm maxing it on always 50+?

2) Crashing. Not often but it crashes from time to time. Usually once or twice per week. 

3) Opening. Sometimes when I try to open it, I have to wait more than 30 sec. Really? 

4) Disk usage. Just yesterday for no reason it went to 99% and it stayed there for almost 5 min. Good luck doing anything on it in the meantime. 

The only good thing I can think of is clean install and few clicks to install since I don't use other features, but that's just for me. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I'll point out few things. I said few times, I mostly game on my laptop so I've had some issues. 

1) Optimization. I almost max out some games like FFXIV in DX9 and get 45+ FPS 90% of the time and it wants to reduce almost all settings from high to low. Why? Med would be fine but ok. Same goes for Heroes of The Storm. Why would you want to put nerf it that badly if I'm maxing it on always 50+?

2) Crashing. Not often but it crashes from time to time. Usually once or twice per week. 

3) Opening. Sometimes when I try to open it, I have to wait more than 30 sec. Really? 

4) Disk usage. Just yesterday for no reason it went to 99% and it stayed there for almost 5 min. Good luck doing anything on it in the meantime. 

The only good thing I can think of is clean install and few clicks to install since I don't use other features, but that's just for me. 

that does sound pretty horrible but luckily your story doesnt effect the majority of people. People have similar problems with all sorts of programs from ms word, to catalyst to photoshop. As much as you dont want to hear this it will solve many more problems then it will create. personally it would make more sense to have a stripped down auto updater because that is the most useful feature. Its very clear this isnt for gamers at stretch its for nooblets just entering this community

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

As long we don't end up in a few years paying for the GFE service...

fuck that, i'm already annoyed with geforce expire being crap sitting in my hard drive because i have a 500 series card which make the software damn near useless, also everytime i try to update drivers via expirience it ALWAYS fails and the download is slower that geforce.com.

with this i'm starting to not consider nvidia cards for when i have money to upgrade.

i don't mind most of the shit the have done recently but putting fucking drivers behind email registration is fucking moronic IMO.

Or you can not use a card thats like 5 years old?

Sorry to break it to you, theyre not gonna support something that old anymore. Most companies dont...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Well i already didn't like nvidia all that much, but i would have still considered buying an nvidia card when i needed a new GPU. Now i definitely won't, I never use any of the crap that's in that program, i only need the driver. When i buy a new card i want to download a driver and play ASAP. Going through some registration crap is not something i want to go through then or ever really. Cuz it always sucks and takes to long. Unless of course you can just enter no@mail.com to get the damn driver, but i'm guessing that's not gonna work. If it doesn't work it means you have to confirm somehow that the email is yours which only makes this crap take longer...

so i say goodbye to Nvidia forever, i don't want to go through this crap...

I have no signature

I've already brought a GPU from then I shouldn't have to download there gimmicks to get a driver

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Oh fuck off Nvidia

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The idea of this practice, asking for an e-mail address for something, isn't a huge deal for me. However, the principle of being restricted in the options of how we can install our drivers and have yet another hoop to jump through to get the latest updates really grinds my gears. I don't like this, and I don't really see a good reason why nVIDIA wants to do this(good being beneficial for the consumer, of course).

It's funny; I remember back when I had an AMD graphics card, everyone was saying how amazing GeForce Experience was, and I was thinking: "Oh boy, I can't wait until I get an nVIDIA graphics card so I can use it! New software; how exciting!" Now I'm hearing everyone say that it's bad, and I'm inclined to agree now that I have my GTX 970. I was installing the latest driver version when I was home for fall break, and the installation seemed to half-work, but I didn't see any issues, or at least until I launched BF4. Some of the buildings were emitting an excessively bright light that obscured my vision. It was fixed when I quit and restarted the game, but it was weird

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Why I have a feeling that Nvidia will soon be charging for drivers. Like you buy a graphics card, and get 1-2 years 'free drivers support'. You want more? Buy a new GPU or pay a yearly fee.

Also, all the drivers fiasco with Windows 10 with Nvidia GPU, was because of GeForce Experience. Do you guys really install this garbage? To me it is like the Nvidia failed product 3D Vision. Nvidia think that everyone has their 3D Vision product, but like virtually no one has it. I bet most Nvidia employees don't even have it, yet they force install them if you go 'Express', and again, it has a history to cause performance or other problem in some games. Bloat for nothing.

AMD just doesn't want to stop poking a stick in the bee hive...

Well it is their right.

I wonder if this is a all a strategy to help AMD out, especially if Nvidia goes with paid driver support model. Hmm...

Well it is there right.

I wonder if this is a all a strategy to help AMD out, especially if Nvidia goes with paid driver support model. Hmm...

Nah, I just can't see that happening. That would totally kill the public image of Nvidia having better drivers. Especially when this is happening right now 

kclhkyo.jpg

Pretty accurate...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

This is bad for me, I already got rid of my 970 in favor for the 390. One of the reasons was GFE not being able to start, starting outside my display and messing up settings which I set for myself with my Eyefinity setup.

I never used the features... I think GFE is a very bulky thing+you are forced to use it for some features... Everything it would need a driver that just comes with that... In that regard I think AMD does way better with raptr(you really don't need it and can uninstall it) and in CCC you got like every features you get from AMD.

IDK about shadowplay it never really worked for me(except making a 15FPS on Desktop) and I don't own a Shield.
But considering there is in Win10 a own record tool + OBS is shadowplay even worth it?(considering there Linux and likely there MAC drivers don't have those at all)

As I think FOSS is the best thing and Nvidia doesn't seem to ever change a bit in that regard, I just don't like it, but my 635M on laptop runs quite nice. GFE got now the driverslauncher which I won't support and stick to downloadable drivers over browser. Past has shown installs from the "Updater" are likely to cause faulty drivers and I doubt we will see an improvement.

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

No issues here.

I use GFE already to update drivers and for Shadowplay.

GFE was a little buggy at first but I can't remember having any issues with if for well over a year.

I don't really have many issues with GFE. Takes it a while to open (10~ seconds on mechanical HDD), but that doesn't really bother me considering I open it less than once a month. Game optimization work well enough, but I always do it manually because I'm gonna manually tweak it anyway. A lot of people seem to have trouble with that part not setting their game up properly when they haven't touched the quality-performance slider (i.e. set to max the game out despite the gpu not being good enough). In my opinion, its functional if you don't wanna spend a ton of time on game settings.

While I personally don't use much of the GFE features like twitch/YT streaming, gamestream, gamesharing, shadowplay, or all the Nvidia ecosystem stuff like the shield products, I've considered doing it eventually when the hardware/software gets a little further along. Every once in a while I'll have some weird quirk like not seeing new drivers that are available (went to site, no biggie there) and sometimes I'll get a driver that acts funky and I revert back to my previous version. It's less than a handful of issues in almost 4 years on my aging 660 (oem) so I can't really join in with much critique.

I did the email signup today. Used my G+ login. took about 2 minutes. Unchecked the newsletter option. No real issues. Closed and reopened GFE about 5 times since and still logged in so we'll see how frequently it logs me out.

I'm planning to upgrade my video card in the next month or so and I'm still planning to pick up a 970 (only if its steeply discounted, they're very overpriced right now). I considered a 390, but its too big for my horribly designed Alienware case and I'm also not terribly convinced the oem psu (875 watt or not) will handle it well enough. I wish Pascal was coming sooner rather than later or at least some sort of Maxwell revision. Probably release the day after I pick up a 970 :P 

i7 3820 -- 8 GB RAM -- Zotac GTX 970

I think they should allow the choice, but I won't cry about it.

Honestly, this only effects a small minority, since 90%+ are using geforce experience anyway geforce experience is great anyway,

I dont see why giving them your email is so bad...i mean its not like 20 other companies dont have it already

@TheSLSAMG - what if i download a gameready driver but its broken and i can't download the last game ready driver that worked as they are not gonna offer downloads in their site any more ? are you asking me download a driver that's way old as they release it once a quarter ? or be stuck with the broken driver ? just why ?

I dont mind my email, i already have a geforce account with my email, but i'm more worried about the driver availability on their frigging site.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Never once had an issue with GFE in the 7 months I've had this 970, but thats not that long so I may be the lucky one.

Sure, drivers have been a bit sketchy lately, but the GFE is flawless on my machine.

Using Shadowplay EVERYDAY, works wonders, 1080p/4k/native res @ 60fps capture.

I don't even care about GFe being the primary updater, it's what I use now to update, not given an issue yet.

/A good point, rollbacking drivers..... what then?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Why I have a feeling that Nvidia will soon be charging for drivers. Like you buy a graphics card, and get 1-2 years 'free drivers support'. You want more? Buy a new GPU or pay a yearly fee.

lol thats never gonna happen as long as AMD is still around, seriously how many nvidea owners would jump ship...i know i would. AMD are on par with nvidea at the mo and this would be the tipping point that give AMD the edge it needs

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

lol thats never gonna happen as long as AMD is still around, seriously how many nvidea owners would jump ship...i know i would. AMD are on par with nvidea at the mo and this would be the tipping point that give AMD the edge it needs

*on par as long as they keep on improving their drivers so that the theoretical performance of the GPU becomes reality

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

GFE used to fuck up your framerate in CSGO, even with recording off. Don't know if its still the case but I've left that crap unticked for months, I find it just gets in the way anyway.