Nintendo's AC Adapter Policy Isn't Fair

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
The New Nintendo 3DS XL does not come with an AC adapter. If you don't have one, you must buy one. Nintendo says there's a good reason for that. Whatever that reason is, it's not fair.

The Kyoto-based game maker explained its rationale to IGN:
"New Nintendo 3DS XL uses the same AC adapter as any Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo DSi system. Rather than raise the cost of New Nintendo 3DS XL by charging consumers for a component they may already own, we are giving them the option to only buy if they need an AC adapter."

qexwcy42hdr2uap3yici.jpg

For years now, Nintendo has been doing this in Japan—and in the past, Japanese players would complain about how Nintendo included plugs with Western portables, but stiffed the domestic market. That being said, the fact that many Nintendo handhelds don't come with something as basic as an AC adapter still surprises people in Japan. Even if the packaging does point out that the handheld needs a power plug, it seems like someone people just assume that, you know, it would.

"This 3DS doesn't come with a power plug?" wrote one Twitter user last December. "Santa brought a 3DS and Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi to my son," wrote another on Christmas Day. "But, it doesn't come with an AC adapter?!" Getting a present and then realizing you need to buy a plug so it'll keep working—what a drag!

Back when the Nintendo 3DS XL was released in 2012 in Japan, it did not come with an AC adapter (ditto for Europe, it seems). Nintendo explained that the reason was, "We won't make you pay for something you don't need."

But... it's the plug that powers the hardware. You need it. More unsettling was the fact that the 3DS XL was sold in North America with an AC adapter. That's the sticking point that makes Nintendo's current claims ring false: In the past, it's included an AC adapter, so why stop?

hgd3goayv1aagxnhtttb.jpg

Nintendo is making an assumption that people who purchase the New Nintendo 3DS already have an AC adapter. In Japan, the plug came with the DSi and the smaller 3DS, but it did not come with the 3DS XL as well as both New Nintendo 3DS sizes.

The odd thing is that Nintendo is actually punishing people who are not early adopters. So, if you bought an original-size Nintendo 3DS, then you got a plug. But if you waited for the XL, too bad

Or maybe you really waited and didn't own a DSi or a regular-sized 3DS, but had a DS Lite? Well, you can't use a DS Lite plug with the 3DS handhelds. You must buy a plug. Nintendo sells them for 925 yen (around US$8)—which makes me wonder how much the AC adapter is really worth or how much it costs Nintendo to manufacture them. Other companies seem perfectly capable of including cables to power their machines, why isn't Nintendo?

It's really principle of the matter that's so disconcerting. This is like ordering a meal in a restaurant and then being told there's a surcharge if you need eating utensils. Nintendo shouldn't be making the decision of what I don't need and be considerate enough to think, hey, maybe this customer will need a plug to power this new hardware

Source : http://kotaku.com/nintendos-ac-adapter-policy-isnt-fair-1679656730?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I agree include a AC cable.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nintendo is the only company I heard that does this. Consider this, even Apple doesn't do it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Nintendo is the only company I heard that does this. Consider this, even Apple doesn't do it.

yah, but they do charge more than 2 tanks of gas for a fucking charger cable that's shittier quality than the cheepo 5$ ones you find in a drug store. 

Pretty certain Nintendo doesn't charge near as much (charge for a charger hehe) and theirs has an actuall wall wart on it, not just a cord, so it costs more to produce.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Well, I don't know how much they can cut the price whit doing this, but for me I like it. I use the charger for my normal 3DS on my 3DS XL now, if I saved 10 or 20$ on it, I'm happy

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Didn't they do this with like the 2DS or something? I dont think its that big a deal most people already have one from previous version and if they dont they can get one of ebay for $2 lol 

It's not that big of a deal. They have a fair point, and there's nothing you can really do about it. It probably didn't move the price too much, so they are charging you more, but it's what, 10 or 20 bucks? It's not like it's an apple lightning cable thats 100 dollars or something ridiculous

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

It's not that big of a deal.

Yes it is. This is actually not a real news item, it's just a "blindly loyal to a fault" test*

*Not really but it might as well be

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's stupid.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yes it is. This is actually not a real news item, it's just a "blindly loyal to a fault" test*

*Not really but it might as well be

I still don't think it's that big a deal. IT's a proprietary connector (i think) and if you already have one the second is just going to go to waste. Less electronics trash is a good thing

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

I didn't get an AC adapter with my phone, and I didn't care.

I don't mind them doing this.

As they say, what's the point in making you pay for something you may already own.

This, of course, only applies if their adapters are reasonably priced.

I still don't think it's that big a deal. IT's a proprietary connector (i think) and if you already have one the second is just going to go to waste. Less electronics trash is a good thing

I just need to emphasize that word to show you why all of us disagree: What can of company is stupid and arrogant enough to go "Oh you already own previous products, we don't fucking want new customers we're hot shit!"

That's the fast track way of going bankrupt: not caring if you get new customers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I didn't get an AC adapter with my phone, and I didn't care.

I don't mind them doing this.

As they say, what's the point in making you pay for something you may already own.

This, of course, only applies if their adapters are reasonably priced.

You already own a phone charger because it's NON PROPRIETARY

-------

Current Rig

-------

I just need to emphasize that word to show you why all of us disagree: What can of company is stupid and arrogant enough to go "Oh you already own previous products, we don't fucking want new customers we're hot shit!"

That's the fast track way of going bankrupt: not caring if you get new customers.

No, they're not saying they don't want new customers, they're saying they acknowledge most of their customers are repeats. There's nothing preventing you from buying an AC adapter, it's pretty cheap.

Don't curse, it's unbecoming and makes you look like a fool

No, they're not saying they don't want new customers, they're saying they acknowledge most of their customers are repeats. There's nothing preventing you from buying an AC adapter, it's pretty cheap.

Don't curse, it's unbecoming and makes you look like a fool

I am a fool for trying to reason with someone who refuses to see reason

*updates ignore list*

-------

Current Rig

-------

My Gamestop receipt said the new 3DS comes with an AC adapter and stylus (this is the stock one, not the MM edition).

Also I broke down and bought it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I honestly thought Apple would be the first to pull something like this.. but yet they havent.

Wow nintendo.. just wow. So retarded

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

inb4 power supply without power cord

or mobo without sata cable we need more of this shit it's awsome like everyone have spare sata and power cord so why bothering let's lower the price ^^

There's going to be a lot of sad kids on birthdays and Christmas when they can't charge their new toy.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

That's Nintendo for you. I don't think they're greedy, I think they might just be the stupidest buch of people on the Earth. If you've ever used the 3DS OS then you know how incompitent they are.

It's a strange policy, sure, but I've literally got about 8 3ds adapters. I don't need more.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers