Random changes in EXE file size leading to crashes randomly

Go to solution Solved by Motifator,

Norton is ass, grab Malwarebytes and run a scan on whatever you got over there. The PC, external drives, all that.

Hey, I'm experiencing an unusual issue with my PC where applications crash randomly within 1-5 minutes of being open. Sometimes, crashes occur within seconds. I've noticed that this issue seems to be related to executable files, as I've observed that their file sizes change unexpectedly over time. For example, "gtav.exe" is typically around 700kb, but randomly, its size changes to approximately 1.7mb to 2mb, or sometimes less.

Interestingly, the issue appears to be isolated to executable files, as other files remain unaffected. However, if I have a backup of the affected executable in a zip archive, extracting and replacing the original file temporarily resolves the crashing issue. Eventually, the problem resurfaces, and the file size returns to the abnormal value.

To troubleshoot the issue, I've already tried reinstalling Windows 10, but it did not make any difference. Additionally, I've spent weeks investigating the issue and have even performed a clean uninstall and reinstall of my graphics driver (rx570 gigabyte 8gigs) using DDU. Despite these efforts, the problem persists.

My system specifications: Intel Core i5-2500 and a 3.5" HDD for storage. I use 360 antivirus software, and all my drivers are up to date. I've also checked the health of my hard drive with Crystal Disk Info, and it reports that the drive is functioning properly.

Recently, I've noticed that this issue has started to affect some files on my secondary 2.5" hard drive, although the problem is not consistent across all files. Copying files does not produce any errors or noticeable issues.

Any suggestions or insights into this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help! 

Norton is ass, grab Malwarebytes and run a scan on whatever you got over there. The PC, external drives, all that.

The size of an executable should generally not change on its own, except when

• They are replaced with a new version
  • They are infected with malware

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Most likely a virus/malware.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2