Nintendo's AC Adapter Policy Isn't Fair

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

I personally think it's fair.  I already have like 5 of the damn things.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

People are blowing this way out of proportion.

Yes, it's stupid and annoying. But it's a minor thing. At least they don't charge out the ass like Apple does for cables. It's a minor inconvenience at most. And this is coming from someone who's getting the shortest end of the stick with it because I only have a DS Lite whose charger is NOT compatible with the new 3DS, so I'll have to buy it separately. Annoying, but not a big deal.

I have a pair of pre-owned DS Lites (only one came with a charger cables, since it was from EB), bought a DSi brand-new ( think on or shortly after launch) and it came with a wall wart AC Adapter that chunked up the thickness of the box, got a 2DS on-launch and it came with a wall wart (the same as the DSi's) that again made the box thicker than otherwise, bought a N3DS XL shortly after launch and it was a blessing to have the THIN box fit in my bag with the other stuff I had since it didn't come with extra bulk in the form of the wall wart in-box.

So far, only ONCE might I have had to charge any two of the three systems of DSi, 2DS & N3DS XL at the same time, as otherwise the second wall wart is useless and makes a tangled mess and waste of space wherever it's hiding right now.

Besides, if I ever need a new or spare DSi/3DS/2DS charger, I can grab one for $15AUD next time I'm at EB or JBHiFi, or just get it shipped to me from their online stores. S'no big deal.

Like others said, since it is a proprietary plug, and a bulky one at that, if you already had one, it would just take up space.  Yeah, it's a little weird that it's not included anyway, but they have been using this same one for a few generations.  If you don't already have one, you can find tons of them used for really cheap.  Even new, you can get one for $5 and free two day shipping.  If you cared about getting the "official Nintendo" one, it's still just 8 dollars.

It's not that big of a deal. They have a fair point, and there's nothing you can really do about it. It probably didn't move the price too much, so they are charging you more, but it's what, 10 or 20 bucks? It's not like it's an apple lightning cable thats 100 dollars or something ridiculous

so what you are saying is if other companies did this you wouldnt have a problem? say you wanted to buy a tv but it didnt come with a power cord because they figured those are mostly universal now.

or you bought a game on steam but they didnt give you the game key because they figure you are just a pirate anyway.

so what you are saying is if other companies did this you wouldnt have a problem? say you wanted to buy a tv but it didnt come with a power cord because they figured those are mostly universal now.

or you bought a game on steam but they didnt give you the game key because they figure you are just a pirate anyway.

That's not at all the same.

Nintendo is just acknowledging that most of their customers are repeat customers. It's a standard size and a standard connector.

Whereas with TVs, some would need more wattage than others, some would need less. so manufacturers need to supply one because they're not all the same. The plug is standard, but the brick isn't.

And steam not supplying a key doesn't make sense at all. I think you ought to rethink that analogy

Edit: Grammar

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

That's not at all the same.

Nintendo is just acknowledging that most of their customers are repeat customers. It's a standard size and a standard connector.

Whereas with TVs, some would need more wattage than others, some would need less. so manufacturers need to supply one because they're not all the same. The plug is, but the brick isn't.

And steam not supplying a key doesn't make sense at all. I think you ought to rethink that analogy

I was going for ridiculous on purpose. I think most people would prefer having the charger, I know i would. This, despite their reasoning, does not make any real sense

I was going for ridiculous on purpose. I think most people would prefer having the charger, I know i would. This, despite their reasoning, does not make any real sense

The point is if you don't already have one, you buy it at the same time. They are forgetting that the average person is an idiot who doesn't do their research.

They're just trying to save production costs for themselves, and prevent electronic waste

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The point is if you don't already have one, you buy it at the same time. They are forgetting that the average person is an idiot who doesn't do their research.

They're just trying to save production costs for themselves, and prevent electronic waste

Maybe they're done making excuses for amoebic consumers. If they can't figure out they need a cord too they can buy at the same time from the same store, they can be inconvenienced.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I'd say include an AC Cable or make it so that the 3DS Can charge over USB. We have LOADS of USB Chargers with our phones so just use that if your going to skimp out on bundling something.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I'd say include an AC Cable or make it so that the 3DS Can charge over USB. We have LOADS of USB Chargers with our phones so just use that if your going to skimp out on bundling something.

That too. The system should come with a way to charge it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Jesus christ.

Using the same logic, new smartphones shouldn't come with an ac adapter because you had another smartphone from our company before, right? right?

I use Nintendo products a lot. They were all in my childhood and I'm a little too attached to the company... but this is stupid as hell. It even sound like a lie.

lots o people working A DAY to afford the AC Adapter in easter europe.... if you don't know that they not include it, you pay 4-8 bucks in addition for the separate shipping.

I just find it funny that you people are talking about the non existent AC charger rather than the actual unit itself haha

My take: if you have 200 bucks to spend on a 3DS,you have 10 dollars to spend on a AC adaptor. Nothing more than a small inconvenience.

It's like sellling a laptop without the full chord, "assuming" people have one. Or a PC without the wall plug, assuming people have one. Bad choice nintendo.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

This was done to save money, and many past Nintendo handleheld chargers work with future ones. Repeat customers save money by not buying a charger they already have and new ones spent 10 dollars more. This exact thing popped up on reddit a few months ago and it didn't make a fuss like the linustechtip community did.

intel does this with their nucs...

Intel does include the adapter, but does not include the power cord. This is a standard cord that every one has laying around in their house or can be bought for $2. 

Nintendo doesn't even deliver the adapter and you need a special plug that is only used on some Nintendo devices.

Gotta love black+yellow

Living in Australia I've already gotten my new 3DS, I never got the original 3DS or DSi so I didn't have the charger cable but the store I bought it from had heaps in stock and were only like another $9 so it didn't really bother me.

Jesus christ.

Using the same logic, new smartphones shouldn't come with an ac adapter because you had another smartphone from our company before, right? right?

I use Nintendo products a lot. They were all in my childhood and I'm a little too attached to the company... but this is stupid as hell. It even sound like a lie.

They shouldn't all smartphones except Apple use the same connector. In this case though the second or third cable you would get from Nintendo is completely useless as there are no other devices that can use it. The microUSB cables can at least be reused with most electronics.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

It's like sellling a laptop without the full chord, "assuming" people have one. Or a PC without the wall plug, assuming people have one. Bad choice nintendo.

Right cuz all laptops have the same wattage requirements. The PC one maybe as it's just copper. The thing with the Nintendo cord is that it is proprietary so once you have one you are set till it breaks and any extras are going to be put somewhere and most likely forgotten about in a little while. This is also helping to reduce waste and that is something we can't do enough.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I still can't understand their naming conventions. New Nintendo 3DS (NN3DS) instead of the old N3DS. I can see it's a simmiliar route to the Wii U vs Wii, however, that caused some confusion for people buying the console for their kids or grandkids. This "new" they are putting on everything is a bit annoying and unoriginal in itself, even a bit of a gimmick. But with the NN3DS especially if they make games only compatible for it is going to cause some confusion when purchasing accessories or games for certain people. Given who they usually target their stuff at, younger generation and families, who may or may not be savvy enough to pay attention to these things.

That being said, Nintendo is very stubborn it seems, they do something and roll with it even if it doesnt make sense or isnt an ideal thing on the customer side.

As much as I love Nintendo, with decisions like that I can see why they got themselves into financial trouble last year.

intel does this with their nucs...

only certain ones, Generally the ones that also dont com with a case, or heatsink. If you buy their retail ones they do indeed come with a AC adapter (as well as a case, heatsink, etc). I installed 2 different models this past summer. You might be thinking of the initial launch where this was indeed the case.

yah, but they do charge more than 2 tanks of gas for a fucking charger cable that's shittier quality than the cheepo 5$ ones you find in a drug store. 

Nah actually you could probably find it cheap at Goodwill, saw some orginal Nintendo AC Adapters there for 2 bucks.

A lot of Printer manufacturers do the same with the USB cable, they consider it a staple in most people homes so don't include it...

However a USB cable is A LOT different to a proprietary cable so it's ridiculous Nintendo don't include it. Surely it would only add like $2-3 to the end cost and i'm sure people who already have one wouldn't object to having another one in a different room or something.  

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

Good god this is stupid. They paid a lot, give them a damn adapter and don't act like you lowered the price because you didn't include it. You didn't. You just saw the opportunity to double charge without raising the sticker price of the main product. 

Basically it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |