Windows 12 for 2024? Microsoft may switch back to a 3-year life cycle.

GoodBytes

Microsoft is changing the product life cycle of its Windows OS. While nothing has been claimed official yet, internal leaks suggest that Microsoft is considering returning to form with a new OS every 3 years, Windows Central reports. At the same time, we might see quicker release of new features, and not have to wait 6 months or a year to get it.

If it becomes official, we will see an updated version of Windows every 3 years (major release), with new features coming throughout the year, as they are ready, with a target of up to four per year.

Windows Central also reports that the internal project name: Sun Valley 3 (Windows 11 2023 update) has been scrapped, which doesn't mean that it won't have any updates. Just nothing major.

Sun Valley was the code name for re-focusing the OS from enterprise focus to consumer with a focus on the UI/UX experience. It led to the creation of Windows 11 as we know it, and Sun Valley 2 is the update coming in the next few months for WIndows 11, which continues the work done, bringing in updated built-in applications, including:

• New Media Player application (replacing both the Movie and TV app, and Groove app. The new app refocusing it to video/music playback and not purchasing/renting movies/shows)
  • Updated Task Manager with Win11 style and dark mode
  • Start Menu folder support and resizable pinned area
  • Bluetooth management panel built-in Action Center/Quick Settings (like the Wi-Fi section but will be for Bluetooth. No need to go to Setting panels each time)
  • "Spotlight" wallpaper feature on the user account (no longer limited to the lock screen)
  • Tabs in File Explorer (Not sure if it will make it for this release, at the moment)
  • Better OneDrive integration with File Explorer

and more.

Internally at the company, the term "Next Valley" is currently used in conversations to refer to WIndows 12 feature updates. This is so early that the code name could change.

If this becomes reality, we should see Windows 12 by 2024.

There is a good chance that features planned for Sun Valley 3, will be moved to either Windows 12, or provided as updated throughout the year after Sun Valley 2 is released (Windows 11 - end of the year update).

In other words, 2023 the last year WIndows 11 before WIndows 12 will come out in 2024. So, expect this coming up update to be a large one, and Windows 11 2023 one be a smaller one, as Microsoft refocuses its energy on WIndows 12.

Windows Central reports:

Microsoft has already tested this system with the rollout of the Taskbar weather button on Windows 11 earlier this year. That same approach will be used for these Moments, where the company will group together a handful of new features that have been in testing with Insiders and roll them out to everyone on top the latest shipping release of Windows.

Many of the features that were planned for the now-scrapped Sun Valley 3 client release will ship as part of one of these Moments on top of Sun Valley 2, instead of in a dedicated new release of the Windows client in the fall of 2023.

In the past, most product teams would have to wait for the annual fall release of Windows to ship new features, but now those teams can ship their features sooner thanks to this new Moments engineering effort. Keep in mind that the term “Moments” is what Microsoft is calling these planned feature drops internally. I’m unsure if that branding will be used publicly, and it's unclear if Microsoft intends to increment the Windows 11 version number to "23H2" along with them. 

Sources

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/microsoft-moves-to-new-windows-development-cycle-with-major-release-every-three-years-feature-drops-in-between

It is nice to see Microsoft returning to a 3-year update cycle.

It would also permit them to have a clear focus/goal for each release bringing meaning to not only consumers, but also internally to the company. Windows 11 was all about hybrid-work, for example, and most new features/improvements reflect that. It also brings awareness of the improvements/feature via marketing materials which can be done. This is something Windows 10 failed in delivering each update after the few early ones. It seems to go all over the place, and most are unaware of many newly introduced features. This 3-year update cycle could also mean that any kernel level changes could be put on hold of being released, as in the past, with a new version of Windows, and not released quickly, allowing more time to brew, for delivering better quality

What do you think about this? Should Microsoft return to a 3-year update cycle, or return to Windows 10 model?

7 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Hard disagree.

+1

What would be more practical is an emphasis on more bridge updates for older devices that have been out of commission for a long time (laptops with windows 10 16xx versions, etc) that can modernize user experience on old hardware, and a longer lifespan for a given OS.

I suppose I feel similarly about it as I do with motherboards, it's annoying that Intel has a short product lifespan and AMD's long AM4 lifespan has been a treat.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Better OneDrive integration with File Explorer

Please.

We use OneDrive as our "file server" for work and the File Explorer/OneDrive integration is pretty bad. File Explorer lags in OneDrive folders, especially when doing multiple selections. OneDrive actually works better on the Mac right now, its bad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Bluetooth management panel built-in Action Center/Quick Settings (like the Wi-Fi section but will be for Bluetooth. No need to go to Setting panels each time)

These specifically should've been in Win10, that it's still missing in 11 is kind of sad.

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Should Microsoft return to a 3-year update cycle

Now we get even less meaningful updates and spend more money! Yay! 😕

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Please.

We use OneDrive as our "file server" for work and the File Explorer/OneDrive integration is pretty bad. File Explorer lags in OneDrive folders, especially when doing multiple selections. OneDrive actually works better on the Mac right now, its bad. 

Oh I love it when I have a document that won't update even when I save and close it out and try opening it on other computers. Or when there's a sync issue and it creates multiple copies of the same thing exact file with no changes............ for some reason?

I want Windows 11's under-the-hood support with Windows 10's UI (good Start Menu and not that ridiculous "more" in right clicks that takes 2x as long to find the right option). Hopefully 12 will bring this. And I really hope that they aren't returning to a 3yr cycle, just trying to bury 11's failure.

This is so fucking dumb. Releasing operating systems without QA, then adding features every year and now releasing new themes as new OS every 3 years? Fuck that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

24 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:
  • New Media Player application (replacing both the Movie and TV app, and Groove app. The new app refocusing it to video/music playback and not purchasing/renting movies/shows)
  • "Spotlight" wallpaper feature on the user account (no longer limited to the lock screen)
  • Tabs in File Explorer (Not sure if it will make it for this release, at the moment)

IMO all of these options should've been available in Windows 10, but the fact that Windows 11 doesn't even have a dark mode task manager, or a resizable task bar is disappointing. And MS already discussing W12 seems like they're trying to get past W11, not surprising with the amount of backlash MS has gotten for an OS which is just worse to use with menus requiring extra clicking, and the push for people to buy new hardware.

15 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Or when there's a sync issue and it creates multiple copies of the same thing exact file with no changes............ for some reason?

Yep, that happens on the Mac too sadly. Really annoying and creates needless confusion. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

One of the reasons I updated to win 11 was to run native android apps you still can’t do that outside of the USA.

They really need to finish what was promised in windows 11 before doing 12.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

53 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Hard disagree.

What do you expect. They can't end on windows 11 due to Microsofts curse of every other os release being absolutely horrible. Windows 11 release has been a shitshow tbh. 

34 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Ah yes already talking about the next release. Just like Microsoft skipped 9, I'll skip 11. That makes us even!

Was just thinking that too. If Win12 comes out 2024, that's potentially a year before Win10 EOL. I've tried Win11 on test systems but for what I do it is Win10 but needs relearning where they moved things.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

What do you expect. They can't end on windows 11 due to Microsofts curse of every other os release being absolutely horrible. Windows 11 release has been a shitshow tbh. 

I seem to recall lots of complaining about 8, 8.1, and 10. So I'm not sure that really holds true, lol.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yep, that happens on the Mac too sadly. Really annoying and creates needless confusion. 

Shocking to me that OneDrive still functions as poorly as it does.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I seem to recall lots of complaining about 8, 8.1, and 10. So I'm not sure that really holds true, lol.

Shocking to me that OneDrive still functions as poorly as it does.

Windows 10 is a good os imo. I know some people like to hate on it but honestly most of it is telemetry complaints that frankly I don't care about. Windows 8 was awful and clearly a misguided attempt at making an os specifically for two in one laptops and forcing desktop users to just deal with it. 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Better OneDrive integration with File Explorer

Please no, it's so annoying. I can't delete anything without it complaining "oh, you removed it here? you know we also have a copy of it? you want me to delete it as well? you sure you want to delete it? i kinda wanna keep it" etc.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Oh I love it when I have a document that won't update even when I save and close it out and try opening it on other computers. Or when there's a sync issue and it creates multiple copies of the same thing exact file with no changes............ for some reason?

Yes, close your file on the other system.

2 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Ah yes already talking about the next release. Just like Microsoft skipped 9, I'll skip 11. That makes us even!

Microsoft always starts talks about the next release of Windows once the current one has just been released.

Yes, that includes WIndows 10, but in that case, features were either put under WIndows 11 bucket, or Windows 10 feature update.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

IMO all of these options should've been available in Windows 10, but the fact that Windows 11 doesn't even have a dark mode task manager, or a resizable task bar is disappointing. And MS already discussing W12 seems like they're trying to get past W11, not surprising with the amount of backlash MS has gotten for an OS which is just worse to use with menus requiring extra clicking, and the push for people to buy new hardware.

People said this for every version of Windows. Even back when Windows 95 was out. A line needs to be drawn.

In any case, I don't get your complaint... the upgrade is free, so just upgrade,

47 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Windows 10 is a good os imo. I know some people like to hate on it but honestly most of it is telemetry complaints that frankly I don't care about. Windows 8 was awful and clearly a misguided attempt at making an os specifically for two in one laptops and forcing desktop users to just deal with it. 

Windows 8 was just as fine as 10, but both were poorly received from launch which is the point being made.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, close your file on the other system.

Dang if only that worked and was tried a couple hundred times.

Sounds like they're basically rebranding Service Packs again, or they landed on a way to market the "perpetual rolling release" idea they had with Windows 10 without making it sound like they're shipping the same old same old forever.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Cool, so by the time Windows 10 is off life support, there will be Windows 12 most likely, the next good version of Windows as per the "every other OS is good" that we're accustomed to with Microsoft.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Windows 8 was just as fine as 10, but both were poorly received from launch which is the point being made.

Dang if only that worked and was tried a couple hundred times.

No it wasn't windows 8 was simply forcing a mobile type os on everyone who didn't want it. I know a ton of people who were super happy about windows 10 as it was much better than 8. Really for the most part it was people complaining about cortana and telemetry that was why some were complaining which tbh were hardly issues in my mind. 

Well, I guess this is hope for people that want to skip Windows 11 without switching to Linux. Very good chance Windows 12 will be worse than 11 though lol.

Also as messed up as it sounds, Windows 8.1 is actually a very good user experience at this point(outside of modern gaming, of course). Most programs still work and you only get update nagged 6-8 times a year because it only gets security updates. Wish there was a "power user" build of Windows with all the bloat default apps stripped out and critical updates only, I'd pay $300 for that. Oh boy, a new media player though 😯 lmfao. The odds of it being as good as mpv or VLC are probably 1:100