Windows 12 for 2024? Microsoft may switch back to a 3-year life cycle.

GoodBytes

Windows Package manager in my mind is a superior distribution source that Microsoft has devised and just needs a front end like a Microsoft Store for most users.

why? the tpm so much of a headache. there guides for it. still to this day

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

9 hours ago, dogwitch said:

why? the tpm so much of a headache. there guides for it. still to this day

That is because the TPM should have been standard in Skylake, and, only Dell and HP actually did. Yet those implementations got poo-poohed, so we're now on a third generation of TPM debacle.

Look, the TPM itself is not the issue, but if it worked like it should, I should not be entering passwords or pin's to login to my computers. So clearly the TPM s not offering a compelling reason to use it for users who don't even know how to backup their system. 

Hell, if I had to back up my system that's 50 TB that has to go somewhere, and buying 3 18TB hard drives just to back it up "just in case" is as expensive as another computer. Fortunately those aren't all one hard drive. But do you know long it would take to decrypt and re-encrypt? It would never finish.

14 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That is because the TPM should have been standard in Skylake, and, only Dell and HP actually did. Yet those implementations got poo-poohed, so we're now on a third generation of TPM debacle.

Look, the TPM itself is not the issue, but if it worked like it should, I should not be entering passwords or pin's to login to my computers. So clearly the TPM s not offering a compelling reason to use it for users who don't even know how to backup their system. 

Hell, if I had to back up my system that's 50 TB that has to go somewhere, and buying 3 18TB hard drives just to back it up "just in case" is as expensive as another computer. Fortunately those aren't all one hard drive. But do you know long it would take to decrypt and re-encrypt? It would never finish.

yeah and odd  less then 3 year old cpu picks to. like first gen and part of 2 gen tr? amd and intel. like really odd choice of cpus to.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

22 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

On a local account, Windows basically annoys the user about making a backup copy of the recovery key. They refused (or the person who set the system for them) did so. So, it's their fault, or the idiot who set up the system for them.

Or, you know, you don't enable Bitlocker on home computers that have no need for it?  MS isn't doing it to save people's data, they're doing it to push the end users into buying more and more online storage.