Microsoft to buy Activision-Blizzard

linkboy

Summary

Microsoft has announced that they're buying Activision-Blizzard.

Quotes

As a team, we are on a mission to extend the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet. We all know that gaming is the most vibrant and dynamic form of entertainment worldwide and we’ve experienced the power of social connection and friendship that gaming makes possible.

As we pursue that mission, it is incredibly exciting to announce that Microsoft has agreed to acquire Activision Blizzard.

My thoughts

Personally, I don't like this. I'm not a fan of Activision, but industry consolidation like this isn't a good thing. I know this forum leans towards PC, but franchises like Call of Duty going exclusive to the Xbox/PC isn't good for the industry. 

Sources

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

2 minutes ago, linkboy said:

franchises like Call of Duty going exclusive to the Xbox isn't good for the industry.

I'm not sure that follows... microsoft seems to have mostly given up on keeping games exclusive to the xbox platform.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I'm not sure that follows... microsoft seems to have mostly given up on keeping games exclusive to the xbox platform.

Microsoft has been releasing their games on Xbox and PC, it's the PlayStation that I was referring to. For example, after the Bethesda purchase, all upcoming PS5 games from them were cancelled.

Call of Duty will now be Xbox and PC only, that's a massive blow for Sony.

Wow, this massive. It has been a pleasure Battle.net.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Holy crap...

This puts SO MANY FRANCHISES under direct control of Microsoft, now.
I mean, they were already big, but with this? They become outright ridiculous. It's outright scary.

I'm already subscribed to their PC Game Pass, and it was already stupid good value. With this, though? It's starting to become an absolute no-brainer. I can fully see people just paying the yearly Game Pass sub and never buying another game again!

The Blizzard we knew and loved was already dead and buried and rotting in its own filth.
So, is this going to be a quick cash grab abusing the rotting corpse until it's well and fully dry?

Or are they going to try to make this their redemption arc?

Just now, Rauten said:

The Blizzard we knew and loved was already dead and buried and rotting in its own filth.

So, is this going to be a quick cash grab abusing the rotting corpse until it's well and fully dry?

Or are they going to try to make this their redemption arc?

These questions and more, so tune in next week for another exciting episode of MERGER BALL Z!!!!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

All of these Years of people saying Xbox has no games or studios and Sony is just better really seems to have finally hit a nerve over at Microsoft. First Bethesda and now this.

The chance that Blizzard games are now actually coming to steam is nice and I would love it if I could get rid of Battle.net.

I agree that exclusivity deals are just garbage and even though I don't intend to own one I don't want them to exclude the PS5 for new releases.

70 billion is insane btw and I hope so much that they fire Bobick Kotick.

Wow! Microsoft is buying Activision-Blizzard for $68.7 Billion.

Seriously Microsoft, you couldn't have at least shelled out an extra 300M for the memes?

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/microsoft-acquire-activision-blizzard-bring-joy-and-community

Microsoft will acquire Activision Blizzard for $95.00 per share, in an all-cash transaction valued at $68.7 billion , inclusive of Activision Blizzard's net cash. When the transaction closes, Microsoft will become the world's third-largest gaming company by revenue, behind Tencent and Sony. The planned acquisition includes iconic franchises from the Activision, Blizzard and King studios like "Warcraft," " Diablo ," "Overwatch," "Call of Duty" and " Candy Crush ," in addition to global eSports activities through Major League Gaming . The company has studios around the word with nearly 10,000 employees. 

3 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

I have some bad news for you...

Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard , and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company's culture and accelerate business growth. Once the deal closes, the Activision Blizzard business will report to Phil Spencer , CEO, Microsoft Gaming.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Dreckssackblase said:

The chance that Blizzard games are now actually coming to steam  the marvelous and fantastic Windows Store is nice wonderful and I would love it if I could get rid of Battle.net.

I agree that exclusivity deals are just garbage and even though I don't intend to own one I don't want them to exclude the PS5 for new releases.

FTFOur new overlords. /s

And if they don't do something severe with Blizzard, well, that'd quickly answer my question about what they intend to do with Blizz' roting corpse...

Microsoft - Zenimax acquisition: 7.5 billion

Take Two - Zynga acquisition: 12.7 billion

Microsoft - Activision acquisition: 68.7 billion

(all cash)

Microsoft just outspent everyone, including themselves

This makes sense. Everything Xbox related runs through Phil, there's no way he's going to let Bobby upstage him.

8 minutes ago, Rauten said:

The chance that Blizzard games are now actually coming to steam  the marvelous and fantastic Windows Store is nice wonderful and I would love it if I could get rid of Battle.net.

Well here's the article where they said they intend to release more first party xbox games on multiple PC platform simultaneously with the xbox store as they did with Halo Infinite.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/05/30/microsoft-approach-to-pc-gaming/

This is why im hoping for Steam, but knowing the industry it'll probably be Epic soon.

28 minutes ago, Sauron said:

other than forza games

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company's culture

Not only will they keep Kitck then they will also maintain their focus on drving efforts to strengthen their company culture of sexual abuse, unpaid cruch and horrible business practises and monetisation. The good news just keep on coming /s

Haha, if this happened like 10y ago, but after Bob managed to completely ruin Activision's image and the Blizzard nightmare that doesn't seem to end...

11 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

EA buys microsoft, then roblox buys EA for 2 trillion robux.

then epic games buys roblox.

Looks like the deal won't close until June 2023 and Activision will remain independent until then.

Once the deal is finalized, that's when Kotick will no longer be with the company, and Activision-Blizzard will report to Phil Spencer.

16 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

Well here's the article where they said they intend to release more first party xbox games on multiple PC platform simultaneously with the xbox store as they did with Halo Infinite.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/05/30/microsoft-approach-to-pc-gaming/

This is why im hoping for Steam, but knowing the industry it'll probably be Epic soon.

Beyond the knee-jerk, quick laugh reaction, I do think they will provide at least some of their games on Steam. Halo MCC is there, Deathloop is there...

As for Kotick, looks like we'll have to wait and see exactly what happens, come June 2023.

Now Microsoft can have their own smash bros game. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Ah great, more consolidations. Just what we needed.

Just hope they won't push the microsoft store/xbox app for blizzard games, getting rid of Battle Net entirely.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro