LSI 9200-8i + Exos X16 Sas not showing in windows server.

.anon

Hey guys, 

I ran into a bit of an issue. 

I am running custom windows storage server.

Rig:

AMD Threadripper threadripper 1900x

32 gigs of ram

random low power gpu just for troubleshooting. Mostly we connect to it via a network.

windows Server 2019

40gb sfp+ card, that connects to a 40gb sfp+ port on our switch

I didn't want to fuss with Linux, unraid or other software, since windows server works fine.

I have a mix and mash of different capacity drives that are pooled using Stablebit drivepool.

And we have 2 instances of dropbox running on the server as 2 users. Not sure where to even begin setting something like that on other software.

We mostly use it for storage backup, so there is no issue with the capacity or throughput. 

Recently I bought Seagate Exos X16 Sas 16TB Enterprise hard disk. Didn't read the description, so didn't realize it was a SAS drive before it came.

So I taught ok, and ordered LSI 9200-8i card.

I got an adapter for it, since the cable it comes with does not have the SAS connector, only SATA. That did not work.

So I ordered another cable, thinking maybe the adapter didn't work. I got the Startech Sas808782p50 mini sas cable.

Connected that one to the LSI card, to the Exos drive and to power. But nope, still nothing in windows.

Not sure how to troubleshoot it at all. I do have one drive that is connected to the LSI through the original sata cable, and the LSI shows in the device manager:

image.png.b7f8ee6ebe29352afdb1b050ee12a56d.png

Anyone that knows more about this than me that can help?

Thanks!

You need to make sure that card has been flashed to the IT mode firmware. If it hasn't reflash it otherwise it won't pass the drives to the host transparently, you'd have to set up RAID arrays in the card's BIOS.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

The card itself said IT Mode on the listing itself. I might try to flash some p20 firmware that I found online, and try with that one..?