Microsoft to buy Activision-Blizzard

linkboy
5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:
I wonder who will be next?

I wouldn't be surprised (though I would be rather pissed off about it, as a child/teen who grew up with them) if it was SEGA.

A very large chunk of their library is already available in PC GamePass - Yakuza games, Football Manager, Total War Warhammer... -- So it's quite clear they have a very friendly relationship.

Then again, maybe that's also why they wouldn't bother? Since they already do have most of their games in their platform?

Also, how in the F is Konami worth that much?!
Oh, wait, right... Pachinko.  Ugh.

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm a bit surprised Apple hasn't grabbed someone with some good name, but not high value IP for some Apple Arcade content and to kind of be a flag barer for M1 gaming. (and to cut off "Apple doesn't care about games"...Apple cares about money, and there's lots of money in game space)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

efc7tsx01jc81.png

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Nintendo was smaller than Activision. Imagine if you had Nintendo merge with Microsoft.

If anyone were to buy them, Microsoft is the least scummy. 

Of the Tech Big 6, (the only ones who could have pulled this off) they know what they are doing gaming wise. 

Apple? Yeah Macbooks still have issues gaming.

Facebook? Look they have Oculus but, well, no one likes them. Also VR and all of this is not the same.

Google? HA! They are already burying Stadia. 

Amazon? Luna isn't doing numbers and they still have issues with their first game. 

Tencent? They could have pulled it off but no one trusts them at all for censorship and China reasons. 

Microsoft is doing this because they are thinking long term. Their competition are these other 5, especially Google and Amazon with their cloud and web structures. THAT is the end goal. Gamepass and Xcloud. 

So will COD and the like end up on PS5? Maybe? They are the 2 best selling games on PS5 now. But this could be a way to twist Sony's arm to get Gamepass there. Because that is what Microsoft cares about. Consistent revenue. How do you think they made so much money to begin with? Why they switched to Office 365? 

Phil Spencer saved Xbox and is going to use Xbox to get Microsoft in more places in people's lives. 

I am not familiar with this acquisition stuff.
Hence the question:
I wanted to know: Who has the final right to co-determination and decision-making after a company acquisition to the projects, IP’s, employees, etc..?

Greetings to you  & i wish you a good day.

11 hours ago, Be Rock said:

SONY is bordering on bankruptcy

dumbest thing I've ever heard

Sony is one of the Big 3 in the music industry, and are getting a shit ton of cash from their movies too.

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

So just 130.9 billion more to spend and they are the gaming overlord. Shouldn't be a problem for MS seeing how they just cashed out 70 billion just like that.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I'm actually glad that Microsoft bought Activision-Blizzard. Now there's at least some hope that Blizzard may get back on track and redeem themselves. At this point, anything is better than just letting them stay a part of Activision. 

However, since it seems Bobby Kotick is still going to be the CEO, I doubt this is going to happen. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

3 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

I'm actually glad that Microsoft bought Activision-Blizzard. Now there's at least some hope that Blizzard may get back on track and redeem themselves. At this point, anything is better than just letting them stay a part of Activision. 

However, since it seems Bobby Kotick is still going to be the CEO, I doubt this is going to happen. 

Nah, Kotick is out on his ass as soon as the deal is final in ~18 months, until then he remains. That said, he's gonna walk away with a fucking huge bonus after selling the company for 70 billion and making all the shareholders rich AF.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

39 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

So just 130.9 billion more to spend and they are the gaming overlord. Shouldn't be a problem for MS seeing how they just cashed out 70 billion just like that.

Sony / Nintendo save us...

True, but what do you personally think would come out of this? Im of the impression almost everything they buy is left dormant without much output if any at all?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Sony / Nintendo save us...

True, but what do you personally think would come out of this? Im of the impression almost everything they buy is left dormant without much output if any at all?

Tbh didn't really think about it that much. I didn't follow what MS aquired over the last few years. The only thing that comes to mind atm is Minecraft which is still under active development and receiving constant FREE updates introducing more content.

In terms of Activision/Blizzard i think they pretty much bottomed out a while ago. They haven't released a noteworthy game (IMO) in the last few years and i've never had lower opinions on a game dev company. So i think it can only go up from here. I still baffled that MS actually think it's worth 70 BILLION...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 hours ago, williamcll said:

efc7tsx01jc81.png

Reminds me of the guys in Star Trek Voyager that went around kidnapping folks and stealing their body parts for themselves.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Looking at Microsoft now and how they do things, I am very much against this.

I may hate Blizzard, but damn boi, they sure didn't wreck Minecraft.

29 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Tbh didn't really think about it that much. I didn't follow what MS aquired over the last few years. The only thing that comes to mind atm is Minecraft which is still under active development and receiving constant FREE updates introducing more content.

Actually,  i just looked it up,  they bought 7 gaming companies... i thought it was far more tbh, and im not sure these lists are conclusive either...

but from those 7 , most of them seem to be somewhat active to highly active,  its just output generally is quite low and naturally not all is super successful,  but yeah, my impression maybe wasn't wrong, but the interpretation was, they arent doing nothing,  just not much of it is noteworthy... they just don't have the big hits like for example Sony and Nintendo have, with a few exceptions ala Forza, Halo, Gears ( i always think thats just another Halo lol) and indeed Minecraft, but also stuff like Winternights 2 (whichs success is also unknown to me) 

So yeah, they're doing *something* and strategically it makes sense of course, i also see why they spent that much, acti/blizzard does really have some huge hits on hand... (i mean the games are terrible,  highly popular nonetheless) far more popular than Microsofts usual stuff (except probably Minecraft) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Nah, Kotick is out on his ass as soon as the deal is final in ~18 months, until then he remains. That said, he's gonna walk away with a fucking huge bonus after selling the company for 70 billion and making all the shareholders rich AF.

Yep, Kotick is trying to go down as a hero rather than a villain to the people that matter to him... which are shareholders.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Hopefully, Sony takes a look at Konami just for the MGS franchise. I think they could do something slick with it. EA just needs to die in a fire. But to get back on topic, I think this deal for Microsoft can be very good if they don't get in their own way. Microsoft already owns a ton of solid IP's they do nothing with it. And they killed good developers like RARE, so we'll see.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

That was the case long ago right? I mean with Bethesda they still are working on making Starfield, lets see how that goes before we can judge this one too harshly. If they can turn around bethesda from FO76, I think AV will be fine

Also they aren't going to leave an almost 70B aquisition dormant, that would be very dumb on their part.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Thoughts:

-MS bought Bungee and turned their product into the most generic ROTM shooter.  Disappointing

-MS bought Rare (largely to spite Nintendo)--and then proceeded to let it wither and die

-MS's entire modus operandi with gaming has been to immolate continent-sized piles of money and observe what fecal material adheres to the vertical partition.

-Marketshare by out-spending the competition does not (inherently) for quality make

-Activision is probably the second most evil company in gaming (after EA)

-Blizzard lost its way a long time ago, and the team behind its greatest successes have moved on

-Blizzard and Activision dying off won't bother me much (and shouldn't most people--considering their best years are seemingly behind them at this point)

-We can mourn SC and WC and the likes, but remember that just because a name and the lore attached are gone--doesn't mean that we can't have games that are the heir apparent to it.  Timesplitters is really the heir to the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark games--but without the lore/name.  Path of Exile (imho) is the heir to Diablo 2.  Overload is clearly the heir to the Descent franchise (sorry, Descent Underground, but you suck).  If there's demand, there will be an RTS with similar feel/play to SC/WC--even if the original franchises die off.

-I will not mourn CoD.  CoD, BF, Fortnite, HALO and Borderlands have all but destroyed the FPS genre, imho.  Development has stagnated.  CoD in particular turned the FPS genre from "never know what's coming next" with gameplay/feel to "Madden in FPS form".  Half-Life 3, Unreal Tournament 4--unlikely to ever get made.  SiN: Chronicles died a premature death.  FEAR is dead (just like NOLF and Blood).  DNF had promise, but ended up a dud.  Bioshock is dead.  DOOM/Wolfenstein, Serious Sam and Deus Ex are barely keeping the genre on life support.  Every FPS I play these days feels like it has no soul.  Immersion, story and innovation are gone.

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Sony better hurry up and buy someone or they will be left in the dust.

3 hours ago, GreatnessRD said:

And they killed good developers like RARE, so we'll see.

Nah, not exactly at least. Rare made a few great titles for the OG Xbox, they died when the Stampers left in 2007 and I think MS knew it as well because it was 08 when they got stuck developing Kinnect titles until Sea Of Thieves.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, GreatnessRD said:

Hopefully, Sony takes a look at Konami just for the MGS franchise. I think they could do something slick with it. EA just needs to die in a fire. But to get back on topic, I think this deal for Microsoft can be very good if they don't get in their own way. Microsoft already owns a ton of solid IP's they do nothing with it. And they killed good developers like RARE, so we'll see.

Besides all the great IPs they could use and the few they use, don't forget the main reason for these acquisitions, and thats simply to buy out competition,  thats how you get big or stay big, ie "cant beat them, buy them!". This is nothing new.

(yet it keeps surprising people for some reason)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

And buying up the competition and the market shrinking (and IP's dying off) will hopefully open the market to new start-ups and new offerings.

Nah, not exactly at least. Rare made a few great titles for the OG Xbox, they died when the Stampers left in 2007 and I think MS knew it as well because it was 08 when they got stuck developing Kinnect titles until Sea Of Thieves.

I guess that's a fair point.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Besides all the great IPs they could use and the few they use, don't forget the main reason for these acquisitions, and thats simply to buy out competition,  thats how you get big or stay big, ie "cant beat them, buy them!". This is nothing new.

(yet it keeps surprising people for some reason)

Oh for sure, you're 100% correct.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)