New Illinois Bill Could Ban Violent Video Games Containing 'Psychological Harm' or 'Carjacking'

Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

lmfao, this is literally a release for most people, go and kill people online so you don't in person. people don't see a murder in a video game and kill someone in real life, yet people have staged whole murders to mimic movie plots, what the fuck!?

Summary

Representative Marcus Evans Jr. filed a bill (HB3531) that proposes changing the definition of 'violent video games' to:

"a video game that allows a user or player to control a character within the video game that is encouraged to perpetuate human-on-human violence in which the player kills or otherwise causes serious physical or psychological harm to another human or an animal."

In addition to banning the sale of these 'violent video games' to not just minors but everyone.

Quotes

"Adding to this, Early Walker -- the founder of Operation Safe Pump, and who has worked with Evans Jr. on the bill -- says GTA 5, in particular, has become an issue."

"Last week, the lawmaker filed HB3531, an amendment that wants to not just ban the sale of games featuring “psychological harm" and carjackings to minors, but to adults as well. According to Evans, these types of games promote criminal activities, which in turn, hurt the community."

My thoughts

This is the most boomer 'hrr drr video games bad' thing I've seen in a while... What about movies? If violent games are such a problem are you going to ban violent movies too, hell might as well ban all songs that reference drugs because that's clearly what's causing the drug problem. (obligatory /s)
I'd like to see literally any piece of evidence proving that video games like GTA V have "become an issue".

I sincerely hope this doesn't pass.

Sources

https://www.ign.com/articles/chicago-lawmaker-proposes-bill-to-ban-sale-of-violent-video-games-like-gta-5

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3531&GAID=16&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=132549&SessionID=110&GA=102

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/23/22297837/illinois-house-rep-evans-ban-violent-video-games

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/gta-5-online-grand-theft-auto-v-ps4-ps5-xbox-one-series-x-pc-sale-banned/

Edited by Mnky313
Clarification

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

lmfao, this is literally a release for most people, go and kill people online so you don't in person. people don't see a murder in a video game and kill someone in real life, yet people have staged whole murders to mimic movie plots, what the fuck!?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Modifies the definition of "violent video game" to mean a video game that allows a user or player to control a character within the video game that is encouraged to perpetuate human-on-human violence in which the player kills or otherwise causes serious physical or psychological harm to another human or an animal. Modifies the definition of "serious physical harm" to include psychological harm and child abuse, sexual abuse, animal abuse, domestic violence, violence against women, or motor vehicle theft with a driver or passenger present inside the vehicle when the theft begins.

GTA VI: All vehicles are unoccupied self driving cars. Problem solved.

10 years later in Chicago - "Wait, why are all our self driving cars being stolen?"

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Fictional violence with no real world consequences, proven by multiple studies? How awful, think of the children.

In game gambling via chance systems designed to take advantage of young people that have caused real financial harm to families? A-OK.

And it'll probably (hopefully) be another Jack Thompson case, where the dude and his half-brained ideas end up getting clowned on in court.

vIoLeNt ViDeO gAmEs

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

this happens every few years. Someone is consuming the resources of some lobby group. End of the day its a multi billion dollar industry and a major cultural export that has been getting more explicit and violent despite the constant lobbying.

Just a point of clarification, the person who introduced the bill is a member of the Illinois State House. Therefore, this law would only apply to Illinois if it were passed. Using the term “US bill” is a bit misleading.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

4 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Just a point of clarification, the person who introduced the bill is a member of the Illinois State House. Therefore, this law would only apply to Illinois if it were passed. Using the term “US bill” is a bit misleading.

Yes, sorry about that. Edited

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

19 minutes ago, comander said:

So I played Tetris once and now whenever I bag groceries I try to fit everything in perfectly. 

And the last time I packed up my stuff and moved... EVERYTHING FIT IN MY GIRLFRIEND'S MINIVAN. ONE TRIP. GAHH. 

Oh it's terrible.

I bet you always leave that baguette for last...

Also this has to be the dumbest, lamest thing I've ever heard (the news that is, not comander's post). If you don't have mental capacity to differentiate betwen real world and fictional games regardless of how violent they are, you're not suppose to walk among population anyway and you'd probably get triggered into violent episode by anything, not just "violent games". I'd seriously question mental capacity of a person suggesting such nonsense. Coz it can either be they are genuinely this fragile and delusional or someone is just shoving money up their rear.

31 minutes ago, Spotty said:

GTA VI: All vehicles are unoccupied self driving cars. Problem solved.

10 years later in Chicago - "Wait, why are all our self driving cars being stolen?"

Not gonna lie, that sounds more fun. 

Step 1) You're a repo person, you must follow, hack and take over automated EV's

Step 2) You got a job, Neon Husk hasn't paid his lease on his Tessla Cybertank, you may want to use a tow truck

Step 3) You might be asking how I wound up on the hood of this Truck. 

It's hard to take seriously a Legislature where any one of the members is probably under FBI investigation for corruption at any time and its highly likely all of them are doing crack as it stands. That said, considering the games would simply be sold from out of State anyway, it's not like it would change anything. Gamestop is already dead, anyway.

That said, it's always really important to keep in mind something called the "Bootleggers & Baptists Alliance". So named because the biggest opponents to the re-introduction of Alcohol in the central coastal US States was both the alcohol runners and one of the major religious factions. Reason it worked is the religious groups didn't know they had significant support from the ones making the illegal alcohol.  Possibly the same situation. Without knowing the local factions, it's easy to assume one group will gain a lot of utility out of something like that. We're far beyond the point that "moral-type" legislation is anything but cynical, at least in most of the country. There's always places where it can be sincere, but they also normally are very measured in what they're up to. Because, you know, they want something to be effective & work because they actually believe in it.

Just now, Kisai said:

Not gonna lie, that sounds more fun. 

Step 1) You're a repo person, you must follow, hack and take over automated EV's

Step 2) You got a job, Neon Husk hasn't paid his lease on his Tessla Cybertank, you may want to use a tow truck

Step 3) You might be asking how I wound up on the hood of this Truck. 

Wouldn't that just be Grand Theft Watch Dogs, tho???

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

There's a side quest "gig" in Cyberpunk 2077 I came across that would definitely be a psychological trigger for some people. Like Law and Order: SVU kind of stuff. Still, I knew what I signed up for when a game has an M rating. Might as well go after that aforementioned show and other movies too with this logic. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

i thought america was the land of the free? 

i think we need to change it to America, the land of the free. and content banning. 

USA, the land of the puritans... Or at least everyone is pretending while doing biggest orgies and pedo stuff behind the scenes...

I wouldn't really be worried, there have been plenty of joke bills like this and none have actually passed. The whole premise is a joke anyway, if we were to blame violence on some form of media (which is stupid in its own right) video games would be last on my list. Politicians and their social media followings have been responsible for infinitely more violence than any video game.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 hours ago, Mnky313 said:

This is the most boomer 'hrr drr video games bad' thing I've seen in a while...

This person is of the age to know better, well I'm sure he does but that's counter to why this has been proposed.

4 hours ago, Mnky313 said:

What about movies?

I would say money but the games industry has actually been larger than the movie industry for a little while now. What protects movies is populism and celebrity i.e. one is more socially acceptable than the other and is regarded as a higher social status. Thing is gamers largely stay out of politics, talking about the professional ones with large incomes and contracts, and are not trying to use their status and money to change policy or opinion. It's things like this that could change that, just wait until political figures are dependent on gamer donation money, watch how the tunes changes then. Basically, follow the money.

3 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

lmfao, this is literally a release for most people, go and kill people online so you don't in person.

I mean... if you were going to kill a person if not for GTA then maybe you need a psychiatrist?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I would say money but the games industry has actually been larger than the movie industry for a little while now. What protects movies is populism and celebrity i.e. one is more socially acceptable than the other and is regarded as a higher social status. Thing is gamers largely stay out of politics, talking about the professional ones with large incomes and contracts, and are not trying to use their status and money to change policy or opinion. It's things like this that could change that, just wait until political figures are dependent on gamer donation money, watch how the tunes changes then. Basically, follow the money.

With a movie you're one step removed, you don't play a movie, you watch it. With a game you're directly responsible for the actions on the screen.

Its still absolute nonsense though, no study I'm aware of has ever established a link between playing games and committing crime.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

With a movie you're one step removed, you don't play a movie, you watch it. With a game you're directly responsible for the actions on the screen.

I very much do not think that is playing in to this at all, Marilyn Manson shining example of why. One of the things they bring up is the fear that youths will also be watching videos/streams of these games and people playing them and try and emulate them, it's not just about the interactivity of game play.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Its still absolute nonsense though, no study I'm aware of has ever established a link between playing games and committing crime.

Movies tend to be much more realistic than games though, not to mention that they are hugely more popular, so in a sense they are glorifying violence to a much larger extent than video games can. Same thing with rap music, think about how many hours each song has been played on spotify alone. It's probably much more than GTA

I don't think any of these cause violence, but I don't think it would make much sense to blame video games before movies or music.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Movies tend to be much more realistic than games though, not to mention that they are hugely more popular, so in a sense they are glorifying violence to a much larger extent than video games can. Same thing with rap music, think about how many hours each song has been played on spotify alone. It's probably much more than GTA

I don't think any of these cause violence, but I don't think it would make much sense to blame video games before movies or music.

To be clear neither do I, I was just trying to be devils advocate. If I was trying to get games banned but not movies that's an argument I would make.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)