New Illinois Bill Could Ban Violent Video Games Containing 'Psychological Harm' or 'Carjacking'

Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

lmfao, this is literally a release for most people, go and kill people online so you don't in person. people don't see a murder in a video game and kill someone in real life, yet people have staged whole murders to mimic movie plots, what the fuck!?

12 hours ago, Tristerin said:

As usual I need no King, Lord, Leader, President, Official, God, or otherwise to sit on its throne creating rules and regulations for me, as a free man.

How I feel on a lot of topics.  

My heart knows instantly whether my thoughts, actions, etc are moral by my standards - human choice, not video games is the driver for violence. 

So I took a step back while typing that - I literally practice BJJ 5 times a week or more, and we jokingly call it simulated murder in the safest way possible.  Wonder when they will attack that industry (martial arts, etc) - the funny thing is, the more I grow in BJJ, the more I abhor using violence - with great power comes great responsibility.

Unfortunately there are many people who are messed up and do violent crimes not out of pure wanting to but because they are basically broken people. You have someone grow up in a fucked up environment then they grow up to be a fucked up person who can't really think properly and end up doing crime and being violent. There is a saying that says hurt people hurt people. Guy gets abused by his dad ends up abusing his son in return and the cycle continues. No amount of morality is going to fix the sheer amount of psychological issues within these people. Most violence isn't so much of a human choice as much as it is environmental factors and physiological issues. Granted that is obviously not video games and this guy is crazy thinking that its video games fault and not the dozen other obvious factors out there. 

17 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Movies tend to be much more realistic than games though, not to mention that they are hugely more popular, so in a sense they are glorifying violence to a much larger extent than video games can. Same thing with rap music, think about how many hours each song has been played on spotify alone. It's probably much more than GTA

I don't think any of these cause violence, but I don't think it would make much sense to blame video games before movies or music.

A reasonable person can tell fiction from reality. People who are not yet mature, damaged, or maybe a addicted to substances, can not. Their judgement is impaired.

But really, you can not legislate peoples' behavior. It has never ever worked, and only served to enrich law enforcement or rob people of any productive potential in their community. Go back to the prohibition era, or when colored people couldn't vote, or women couldn't vote or marijuana legalization or gay people couldn't marry, or trans people couldn't change their name... That has never stopped anyone from doing those things in secret or as protests.

The only way you change peoples behavior is by moving the responsibility onto the producer to produce a product that doesn't harm the consumer, and things like alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, and firearms absolutely harm the consumer and anyone within 20ft of them. What are you going to do, require everyone who buys a cigarette or a gun to walk around announcing they are smoking while packing every time someone comes within 20ft? No. You flip that around and and punish anyone selling said products to impaired individuals. You don't sell guns to those who have been found guilty of violent crimes, you don't sell alcohol to alcoholics, and you don't sell drugs to drug addicts. Those who do, are taking advantage of that person's vulnerability, and quite frankly don't care (capitalism ho!) 

A lot of the illegally manufactured drugs out there, are made with toxic materials, and they are off-the-shelf ingredients, so those precursor ingredients are under lock and key, and big targets of smash-and-grabs.

So does the same apply to films and games? Perhaps a line does need to be drawn where a game or film has crossed the line from being artful to being indulgent of a gore fetish, (remember there is a site out there that archives videos and photos of real accident scenes/fatalities ) yet wouldn't want some ass-backwards country that glorifies violence defining it. We've already seen what happens when that's imposed on other adult content like gambling and modeling.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

A reasonable person can tell fiction from reality. People who are not yet mature, damaged, or maybe a addicted to substances, can not. Their judgement is impaired.

Yes, that's why movies, games and practically everything has age ratings. Perhaps they should be taken more seriously, but they do exist.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

The only way you change peoples behavior is by moving the responsibility onto the producer to produce a product that doesn't harm the consumer, and things like alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, and firearms absolutely harm the consumer and anyone within 20ft of them. What are you going to do, require everyone who buys a cigarette or a gun to walk around announcing they are smoking while packing every time someone comes within 20ft? No. You flip that around and and punish anyone selling said products to impaired individuals. You don't sell guns to those who have been found guilty of violent crimes, you don't sell alcohol to alcoholics, and you don't sell drugs to drug addicts. Those who do, are taking advantage of that person's vulnerability, and quite frankly don't care (capitalism ho!) 

A lot of the illegally manufactured drugs out there, are made with toxic materials, and they are off-the-shelf ingredients, so those precursor ingredients are under lock and key, and big targets of smash-and-grabs.

So does the same apply to films and games? Perhaps a line does need to be drawn where a game or film has crossed the line from being artful to being indulgent of a gore fetish, (remember there is a site out there that archives videos and photos of real accident scenes/fatalities ) yet wouldn't want some ass-backwards country that glorifies violence defining it. We've already seen what happens when that's imposed on other adult content like gambling and modeling.

I think there is a pretty big difference between physically harmful and addictive substances that physically affect your brain (drugs, alcohol) or guns that are literally made to kill and a movie with some guy in a funny costume beating up an alien. I'm exaggerating, I guess, but let's be real if playing GTA turned you into a serial killer, you probably already had some very serious issues to begin with. I do agree that some games/movies might go a bit overboard on the violence, but still I don't think it would make much sense to blame violence on them, especially since there is little to no evidence to support this idea.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

44 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I do agree that some games/movies might go a bit overboard on the violence, but still I don't think it would make much sense to blame violence on them, especially since there is little to no evidence to support this idea.

My suggestion here was perhaps the game developer in charge is the problem and indulging in their fetish. Remember the flack that Last of Us 2 got?

The Last of Us 2 is undeniably a dark, violent, and uncomfortable experience. At one point, it was going to be even darker, with the director and narrative lead sharing the game's original and drastically different ending. At one point, however, accessibility options that would've made the game less violent were briefly considered, mainly concerning the game's violence against dogs.

Interesting how often killing the dogs is the line that developers don't feel comfortable crossing. What happens when the next creative director decides to indulge in something? Like, honestly with most video games, the nature of the violence just gets tuned out after having to do something a few times. That doesn't make people crave violence, it makes them bored of it.