Security updates for Windows 7 ostensibly end tomorrow, but also officially continue until 2023

Delicieuxz

On January 14, which is tomorrow if you live on continent America but is already now if you live most anywhere else, Windows 7 security updates sort-of but not necessarily come to an end for non-corporate Windows 7 owners.

Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020

Windows 7: What does end of support mean?

When Windows 7 reaches end of support on January 14, 2020, your computer will still function but Microsoft will no longer provide the following:

• Technical support for any issues
  • Software updates
  • Security updates or fixes

Personally, I ran Windows 7 without any new updates since around July 2015 until 2019, and I never encountered an issue from it. Since doing a fresh installation of my system I've had just Windows 10 LTSC installed, but I think I still wouldn't have an issue with continuing to run Windows 7 without security updates.

However, Microsoft will continue to supply security updates for Windows 7 until 2023 to companies who pay for them on a per-device basis. But, as was the case with Windows XP's extended security updates until 2019, the ongoing security updates for Windows 7 until 2023 can be enabled on any PC:

Bypass discovered to allow Windows 7 Extended Security Updates on all systems

Enabling Windows 7 security updates until 2023 on any copy of Windows 7:

How to get Windows 7 POS which comes with security updates until 2021:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

F.

TBH I can't think of anyone I know who still runs windows 7.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Long live Windows 7!

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

18 minutes ago, FezBoy said:

F.

TBH I can't think of anyone I know who still runs windows 7.

My work still does, though we are currently waiting for about 100 new machines to get imaged, so we can start deploying them.

And... this is news that no reasonable person should care about.

It is loony enough to keep Windows 7 in the consumer space back in 2016. Using it today in 2020, even in industrial settings, is without any good reason, period and end of story.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Sadly one of my laptops won't be getting Windows 10 due to the low spec hardware to run Windows 10.  However I'll keep it as a Windows 7 OS machine.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

10 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

It is loony enough to keep Windows 7 in the consumer space back in 2016. Using it today in 2020, even in industrial settings, is without any good reason, period and end of story.

Upgrading a large company to new computers can cost a company hundreds of thousands of dollars fairly easily. As well, many companies use integrated software that has yet to be fully updated, has incompatibilities with windows 10 at it's core, or simply can not be ran on current hardware.  

Edited by jsweet

6 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Windows 7 continues to be a solid OS that does pretty much everything Windows 10 does outside of UWP and DX12 requirements. It's more reliable than Windows 10, less bloated, and can be more private. It also has a more functional start menu. I think those are some good reasons.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

There's ATM's in my area that use 7. And one that still uses XP. There's also a factory that uses a line computer that runs 95, it's not connected to the internet and just simply "works" so they didn't want to mess with it.

Servo (petrol station/gas station) In my home down, uses a c64 for the bowsers

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

5 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Well, it still works fine for casual internet users and office workers. There are still pieces of software and hardware that are not supported in Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, or that install but don't function properly. I've personally run into this problem at work with both things.

There are still a lot of industrial applications where a company is using a CNC machine that cost $1.5 million in 2004, and there are no drivers for newer OS' than XP. Those companies are not just going to throw stuff away because a new OS came out. Heck, up to a very recent point if not still in some cases, ATMs use(d) Windows 3.1. They're still doing the job, so there's no need to replace them yet.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

39 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Servo (petrol station/gas station) In my home down, uses a c64 for the bowsers

I knew a guy that worked on older arcade and pinball machines, and the EEPROM writer he used interfaced with a C64; He had a stack of them. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

5 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Windows 7 continues to be a solid OS that does pretty much everything Windows 10 does outside of UWP and DX12 requirements. It's more reliable than Windows 10 and can be ore private. It also has a more functional start menu. I think those are some good reasons.

If I recall correctly about XP, today Windows 7 is for all intents and purposes more usable right now then Windows XP was when XP updates ended.

Granted XP being limited to 4GB of RAM was a big factor.

15 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

If I recall correctly about XP, today Windows 7 is for all intents and purposes more usable right now then Windows XP was when XP updates ended.

Granted XP being limited to 4GB of RAM was a big factor.

*if you didn't have the 64bit pro version

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

*if you didn't have the 64bit pro version

Which if I recall for consumer level machines was about as rare as a non pirated copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. ?

Or at least thats what I remember. I think in the repair shop I worked at I only saw that once, and I believe it was a computer from a ferry.

EDIT side thoughts: I'm guessing a genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit would be by far the rarest OS.

It's a good thing the banks where I stash my savings have switched to Windows 10 in their ATMs and workstations.

But I still won't forget the time where I saved lunch money just to afford a genuine copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. It was also the time where Microsoft's ads are not cringy.

F

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

My brother still uses win 7 because he can't be bothered to get legitimate win10. Though I was also surprised when he mentioned that he's considering moving to Linux because it's free. I've considered that idea myself, but I'd like to try it out first somehow.

9 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

That's about as ignorant as saying "using a car that's more than 4 years old is without any good reasons, period and end of story".

It's only "without any good reasons" if you ignore things like compatibility and cost (both in terms of time and licensing cost).

9 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

I work as an IT-consultant, because of this I have been working in varying industries. There are several reasons why some companies still have some windows 7 or older os running. For example a chemical plant has a very expensive machine that can only be controlled with a windows 7 or older. Some of the manufacturers of those machines might be out of business, so no software support.

In multiple companies windows 7 will live on, but I hope not connected to the internet or any other network.

5 hours ago, DeScruff said:

Which if I recall for consumer level machines was about as rare as a non pirated copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. ?

Or at least thats what I remember. I think in the repair shop I worked at I only saw that once, and I believe it was a computer from a ferry.

EDIT side thoughts: I'm guessing a genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit would be by far the rarest OS.

I had a legal copy of XPx64. It was a horrible slow OS. It worked but it was clunky at best. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Good, leave the decade+ old OS and move on. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |