File copy from USB failed due to "not enough memory" Error

I had the problem, that when coping large files (Videos over a gb) from a USB drive to my PC, an error occurred, and the USB reconnected.

It told me I have not enough memory, "nicht genügend Arbeitsspeicher". This Error cant be right, because on my PC (win11) I have 32gb, and on my laptop (win10) 16gb, and the files are max 1.5gb. The USB drive is an SanDisk 64gb model.

image.png.2008d0616f26935a5e2b78254c7adea5.png(German for "not enough memory")

It where family videos, and I finally wanted to back them up, so reformatting was not an option, and I got pretty scared everything was lost.

I tried everything, different PCs, different USB ports, but always the same Error.

But I knew, that the files are not corrupted, because i could play the videos in VLC no problem. After playing around in the registry, as some forums suggested, it still didn't work, so I thought, "maybe the USB Drive overheats when transferring large files at over 100 mb/s" so i went on the search on how to transfer files slower, but as you can think, not many people want that.

But then finally I found FastCopy (yes I know), where you can limit the transfer speed. so now I transferred the files at 40%, en voilà, it worked!

FastCopy.png.9d58f4c9835198020176d8276bad6826.png(I transferred all at once, that's why its 30gb)

I also tried at full speed, to see if maybe Windows f'd up, but no, it also crashed.

Q: The overheating was only an assumption, what else could it have been? 

Posted here so it would be found, if anyone else has a similar problem.

TLDR: If your USB drive crashg file transfers, try transferring at lover speeds. An option seams to be FastCopy, but there are surly others.

As stated above, try transferring at slower speed or don't try copying all the files at once and do it in stage 2 or 3 files at a time.

You can have multiple file transfer streams working at the same time and the computer will handle them just fine as it will schedule them and not overwhelm the bandwidth.

On 5/11/2024 at 1:16 AM, Thomas4 said:

As stated above, try transferring at slower speed or don't try copying all the files at once and do it in stage 2 or 3 files at a time.

You can have multiple file transfer streams working at the same time and the computer will handle them just fine as it will schedule them and not overwhelm the bandwidth.

Even when trying to copy only one file, (about 1.5gb), it crashed, and gave me the same error.