Security updates for Windows 7 ostensibly end tomorrow, but also officially continue until 2023

Delicieuxz
14 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

is without any good reason

Stability, predictable behavior, an actually usable gui without identity crisis, less of a HW hog, no integrated spyware, etc................ 9_9

15 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

There's ATM's in my area that use 7. And one that still uses XP. There's also a factory that uses a line computer that runs 95, it's not connected to the internet and just simply "works" so they didn't want to mess with it.

lol the registers at my work still run xp, its because its the only os that will run on those potatoes 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

23 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Stability, predictable behavior, an actually usable gui without identity crisis, less of a HW hog, no integrated spyware, etc................ 9_9

Of course, you've also painted a giant security bullseye on your back, and limited access to all kinds of genuinely helpful features (like Your Phone) and software (including some games).  But hey, at least your compromised, functionally outdated PC won't be sending telemetry data to Microsoft...

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Of course, you've also painted a giant security bullseye on your back, and limited access to all kinds of genuinely helpful features (like Your Phone) and software (including some games).  But hey, at least your compromised, functionally outdated PC won't be sending telemetry data to Microsoft...

Or you do what I did and move to Ubuntu. It runs more stable than 10 ever did for me. It also gives me options for updating and restarting, rather than do it without permission. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Or you do what I did and move to Ubuntu. It runs more stable than 10 ever did for me. It also gives me options for updating and restarting, rather than do it without permission. 

Well, I'm on a Mac that does all of this and then some... well, I'm stuck with a smaller games catalog, but I'm otherwise dandy.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Well, I'm on a Mac that does all of this and then some... well, I'm stuck with a smaller games catalog, but I'm otherwise dandy.

I might be moving that way. At least with my next notebook. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

39 minutes ago, Commodus said:

And you cant continue to live as a brainless sheep who believes anything the media feeds him. Not updating does not mean that you are automatically compromised, far from it(wont even argue any further comments on this as it is evident you dont know anything). This is like saying that you will get an accident because you have an old car, which is pure BS just like what you wrote. As for useful features didnt see any, just stuff that is for ppl who have a sick level of laziness.

17 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

And... this is news that no reasonable person should care about.

It is loony enough to keep Windows 7 in the consumer space back in 2016. Using it today in 2020, even in industrial settings, is without any good reason, period and end of story.

Spoken like the true words of an ignoramus.

There's a lot of reasons not to switch. Me personally, I've set up a dual boot, and I actually just hate a lot of the new "features" of Win10 that are slower and more complicated than Win7. Even just changing my audio settings in Win10 is a pain in the ass where it's exceptionally quick and simple on Win7.

9 hours ago, CookieSmasherGus said:

My brother still uses win 7 because he can't be bothered to get legitimate win10. Though I was also surprised when he mentioned that he's considering moving to Linux because it's free. I've considered that idea myself, but I'd like to try it out first somehow.

Do a dual boot. Set up a partition or get a second hard drive and install Linux on that.

#Muricaparrotgang

9 hours ago, CookieSmasherGus said:

My brother still uses win 7 because he can't be bothered to get legitimate win10. Though I was also surprised when he mentioned that he's considering moving to Linux because it's free. I've considered that idea myself, but I'd like to try it out first somehow.

I switched to Linux when Windows 10 first came out as I didn't like the lack of privacy in 10. Check out Linux Mint. It's designed to be pretty friendly to uses coming from a Windows environment; it's what I've switched to.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

And you cant continue to live as a brainless sheep who believes anything the media feeds him. Not updating does not mean that you are automatically compromised, far from it(wont even argue any further comments on this as it is evident you dont know anything). This is like saying that you will get an accident because you have an old car, which is pure BS just like what you wrote. As for useful features didnt see any, just stuff that is for ppl who have a sick level of laziness.

Not updating means if there is a vulnerability it wont be fixed so if your careful you will probably be fine. But still for most Normal users it would be better for them to be on the most up to date software to minimize risks. For my own use I use windows 10 and am fine with it, heck I got used to windows 8. 

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Because all of a sudden the major sites you visit will just not be protected at all. You also can't get any other form of anti-virus.

And fuck no I don't want my PC linked to my phone and software. And I sure as fuck don't want to send information to MS when I'm working on classified material.

3 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

R.I.P Madobe Nanami (OS-Tan) of Windows 7

image.jpeg.fd09173a8dfd0f0f4e87bf8618f9ce44.jpeg

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Makes me wonder now who is running 8/8.1 and why

Me on a dev machine, why I have no idea.

23 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Because all of a sudden the major sites you visit will just not be protected at all. You also can't get any other form of anti-virus.

And fuck no I don't want my PC linked to my phone and software. And I sure as fuck don't want to send information to MS when I'm working on classified material.

windows_7_tan_nanami_madobe_by_metakin_d

GzQ8Oq3.jpg

Even Burger King in Japan even offered the Windows 7 BK Whopper

38RxaHq.jpg

Sad Day for Windows 7 users....and I will keep using it on my Compaq CQ56 Intel Pentium 900 2.2 GHz single core CPU system.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

32 minutes ago, startrekdude said:

Not updating means if there is a vulnerability it wont be fixed so if your careful you will probably be fine. But still for most Normal users it would be better for them to be on the most up to date software to minimize risks. For my own use I use windows 10 and am fine with it, heck I got used to windows 8. 

IMO win10 is a bigger risk thn using an outdated 7....  MS just lied too many times about things and trusting them is like playing Russian roulette......

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

I agree, the "you're gonna get attacked so install windows 10 now" is a media scare tactic to get the normal average user to switch to windows 10.

IMO if you're still using win 7 you know what you're doing to not get your system infected.

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

IMO win10 is a bigger risk thn using an outdated 7....  MS just lied too many times about things and trusting them is like playing Russian roulette......

Fair, They haven't always said everything. But I personally don't think its as bad Russian Roulette. Wile I think some one like us will be fine running windows 7. I still maintain normal users should stick to updated software when possible. I myself will continue to use Windows 10, I do not feel its that big of a risk but that's just me. As long as your using Windows 7 responsibly go for it I was mostly pointing out its a bad Idea for normal users.

Also I have also been using windows 10 since day one soooooo make of that what you will.

Excuse me?  Argue like an adult and stop making unfounded assumptions, please.

I said that not because I literally assumed a system would be compromised the moment support ends (they're called linguistic tricks, please learn how to read them).  It's that the stability and familiarity of Windows 7 aren't worth the added risks that come from running an OS that will never get a security update again outside of business contracts or a WannaCry-style emergency.  Your system's security will be fine... until suddenly it isn't.  And no, anti-malware tools aren't surefire solutions.

Also, feel free to stop believing the world revolves around you.  Just because you don't find useful features in a new OS version doesn't meant no one else does, or that those who do have a "sick level of laziness."  I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had to be a masochist to be a 'real' computer user.

24 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

IMO if you're still using win 7 you know what you're doing to not get your system infected.

Not for the average braindead user that installs every toolbar under the sun. Stupid bint I work with spent a week telling me she needs a Mac because she takes photos with her phone and needs a Mac to view them on. She also keeps buying old XP laptops and asking me to "fix" them, I keep refusing to as I don't want to be tech support when the pile of crap gets infected.

19 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

There's ATM's in my area that use 7. And one that still uses XP. There's also a factory that uses a line computer that runs 95, it's not connected to the internet and just simply "works" so they didn't want to mess with it.

Where I work we have 7 CNC robots, 2 run on XP, 2 run on a variant of Windows CE, 2 run on 98 and one runs on 95. None are connected to any network at all and since they all just work the company is reluctant to upgrade them.

Recently the 95 machine developed issues, first they had to replace the motherboard (which somehow Kuka still provide?) then they had to replace a controller card which handles communication between the computer and the external terminal for manually controlling the robot. While they were talking to Kuka about the replacements they queried if an upgrade path was available. Kuka said they can upgrade it to Windows 7, the cost? £10,000 plus engineers fee.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Err, WannaCry disagrees strongly. All it needed was an old version of Samba to be enabled on the machine and it was in, no user intervention required.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Err, WannaCry disagrees strongly. All it needed was an old version of Samba to be enabled on the machine and it was in, no user intervention required.

I believe it also affected Linux and Mac as it was a in Samba itself not just the implimentation.

This is like saying that you will get an accident because you have an old car, which is pure BS just like what you wrote.

Actually it's comparable to driving an older car with older locks that are easier to pick than more modern ones, then when inside you jam a screwdriver in the barrel as there's no immobilizer and your car is gone.

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Antivirus software only protects against known exploits that it can defend against.  If it's a zero-day exploit or something the AV software couldn't stop regardless, you're still in trouble.  I'm sure many WannaCry targets were running AV software, too... ask them how well that worked.

Good IT security doesn't involve hoping your anti-malware tools will make up for known vulnerabilities in the underlying OS.  If you actually want an airtight system, you run an OS that's still actively receiving security updates.  No exceptions.

Also, as I told jagd earlier, please don't assume that the world revolves around you.  You might not want your PC linked to your phone, but that doesn't mean others can't appreciate it.  You have a slight point on sending info to MS, but if you're in that kind of situation and genuinely concerned the info could be misused, you can likely either block the transmissions or make arrangements with Microsoft to limit collection.