You thought RDR2 needed space? - Call of Duty storage requirements

LukeSavenije

Sources: Tweakers (Dutch)Battlenet

some people were shocked by the staggering 150 GB of required storage by the PC port of Red Dead Redemption 2 by Rockstar, but it seems like Activision wants to up that a notch, by another 25 gigs. The reboot of Modern warfare will require 175 GB of storage according to requirements on the Battlenet website.

The only games coming close to this are the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 at 150 gigabytes, and Final Fantasy XV with 4k textures at 155 GB

Recommended Specifications

Operating System

Windows® 10 64-bit latest update

Processor

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K or AMD Ryzen™ R5 1600X Processor

Video

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970 / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 or AMD Radeon™ R9 390 / AMD Radeon™ RX 580 - DirectX 12.0 compatible system

Memory

12 GB RAM

Storage

175 GB available hard drive space

Internet

Broadband Internet connection

its R2D2 thank you 

giphy.gif

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

i remember R6S with the ultra optional graphics being pretty huge too.

Either way this is crazy, did they bloat the files or something?...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

did they bloat the files or something

we can only wait and see... this is more than double what infinite warfare was

is it 175gb actual space, or just to install...

some require a lot more, just to decompress and temporary install files, and end up being smaller..

but large file sizes usually is lazy programming.

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Either way this is crazy, did they bloat the files or something?...

Probably didnt use any form of compression...

Just now, Twilight said:

a 2500K or a 1600X? what?

also R9 390 or RX580? am I the only one noticing this?

aN i5 iS aLl YoU nEeD tO pLaY gAmEs

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

that's recommended though, the minimal requirements are lower

still high, but lower

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

The reboot of Modern warfare will require 175 GB of storage

it's 175 gb of the exact same game!

whenever i see something like this i watch this to calm my nerves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPIu7isD3s

Edited by Salv8 (sam)
link failed to link

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Isn't it possible to just install one part of the game? I know modern warfare 3 was split in multiplayer and single player. Pretty sure it was the same for black ops 3.

Haven't played the newer ones so I'm not sure if they still do it like that. And they switched to the battlenet launcher right? So it might not even be possible anymore.

This is what happens when you don't compress a single file.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Sources: Tweakers (Dutch)Battlenet

some people were shocked by the staggering 150 GB of required storage by the PC port of Red Dead Redemption 2 by Rockstar, but it seems like Activision wants to up that a notch, by another 25 gigs. The reboot of Modern warfare will require 175 GB of storage according to requirements on the Battlenet website.

The only games coming close to this are the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 at 150 gigabytes, and Final Fantasy XV with 4k textures at 155 GB

I actually read that as R2D2 ?

Did a double take.

As for the actual topic. It is a LOT, but if you consider that they'll have the resources in there for all resolutions it doesn't seem that bad I guess. If you're gonna be running it on an SSD then yeah it's price per GB of storage is gonna be huge at approx $25+ dollars on it's own if it had it's own SSD.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

And then there is demo scene which stuffs jaw dropping visuals in frigging 64KB. And you start to wonder what the F these companies are even doing with their life...

15 hours ago, Twilight said:

The i5 2500K is almost 9 years old. It's a statement on how little CPUs and also games have progressed in the previous many years that a 2500K can still be listed as the "recommended" requirement for a AAA game. In the 90s and 2000s, a top-end CPU would already be outdated and often barely able to run new games once it was maybe 2.5 years old. Now, a premium CPU seems like it's relevant almost indefinitely. Consoles becoming the primary development target after Xbox and PS2 came out gradually brought the rapid pace of visual and PC hardware progress to nearly a standstill.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987