Am I wasting my money?

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,
12 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Don't suggest the 5500, it's also a terrible GPU.

Nerfed cache, PCIE Gen 3, and generally just bad. 

The 5600 a LOT better than that. 

i was not suggesting the 5500 as id pick a used 5600g over a new 5500 at the same price

4 minutes ago, Tamgam12 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nCRhXk

I made some changes, is that better? Or do you have any recommendations I want to stay around $600 I have some room. I'm just a casual gamer and this will be my first time gaming on pc. 

now thats a whole lot better though cooler wise id go straight for a phantom spirit at 36$ so you never have to upgrade the cooler again or at the very least an assassin king for a couple bucks extra as that performs abit better

Budget (including currency):$600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: manor lords, hydroneer and similar 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): just need the tower. Already have 1tb gen4 nvme (samsung) used parts are okay. First time builder. To dumb to know better, almost smart enough to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PVPLN6

Yes.

The 5600g is the worst CPU you can buy.

Buy a 5600 (non G.  X is an option if it's cheap, too.)  or a 5700X / X3d.  (Do not buy a 5700 Non-X)

Here's why:

And then:

Buy a B550 board.  It should only be a few bucks more than the B450, and will add PCIE Gen4, and some other features.

Otherwise it looks pretty okay.

In the future, you'd probably want to get a better cooler than stock for the 5600's.  The stock cooler "works" on them, but they run REALLY warm.  But you can do that later.  

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Yes.

The 5600g is the worst CPU you can buy.

Buy a 5600 (non G.  X is an option if it's cheap, too.)  or a 5700X / X3d.  (Do not buy a 5700 Non-X)

Here's why:

And then:

Buy a B550 board.  It should only be a few bucks more than the B450, and will add PCIE Gen4, and some other features.

Otherwise it looks pretty okay.

In the future, you'd probably want to get a better cooler than stock for the 5600's.  The stock cooler "works" on them, but they run REALLY warm.  But you can do that later.  

Thank you for the heads up. I'll make changes. Greatly appreciated. 

i was genuinely expecting a dumpster fire with a new 3060 or 6600 or god forbid an igpu build but damn this is actually pretty decent

14 minutes ago, Tamgam12 said:

To dumb to know better

i think youve set abit of a high standard here as most of the ppl i see coming in with a 600$ budget would opt for a new 3060/6600 and massively overpay for am4 (irrelevant past the 150$ mark due to 12th gen)

improvements can still be made though and id start with the cpu as a 5600g is a pretty odd choice and the 5500 is literally the same price new, should also be able to find used 5600(x) around the same price as that 5600g which have double the cache so no need for ddr4 4600+ to run the cpu near its full potential and should run abit higher core clocks

you can definitely get a better board used but wifi boards may be uncommon and youd also have to deal with making sure the thing works with no weird issues and is bios updated so this is just a matter of personal preference, id rather the new board if you arent saving over 30$ buying used and getting a better board at that just for convenience and the warranty (which can definitely come in handy when were dealing with the most error prone part in a build), if the wifi is not needed theres the b450m-a ii for 10$ less and you can probs cut ~20$ with those aformenioned used b3/450 (expect midrangers like the tomahawk pro4 etc.) if youd like a better board cause buying a new b550 is a complete waste of money when used b450 has the same i/o for half the price and besides this is a dead platform might aswell use its advantages

cx750 is a better value psu and it actually has a warranty, a mostly useless one but if you get a lemon that dies before the expected 10-15+ year lifespan then it can come in handy not to mention the extra wattage

otherwise build looks very good

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

improvements can still be made though and id start with the cpu as a 5600g is a pretty odd choice and the 5500 is literally the same price new, should also be able to find used 5600(x) around the same price as that 5600g which have double the cache so no need for ddr4 4600+ to run the cpu near its full potential and should run abit higher core clocks

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

The 5600 a LOT better 

I made some changes, is that better? Or do you have any recommendations I want to stay around $600 I have some room. I'm just a casual gamer and this will be my first time gaming on pc. 

18 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

i was genuinely expecting a dumpster fire with a new 3060 or 6600 or god forbid an igpu build but damn this is actually pretty decent

i think youve set abit of a high standard here as most of the ppl i see coming in with a 600$ budget would opt for a new 3060/6600 and massively overpay for am4 (irrelevant past the 150$ mark due to 12th gen)

you can definitely get a better board used but wifi boards may be uncommon and youd also have to deal with making sure the thing works with no weird issues and is bios updated so this is just a matter of personal preference, id rather the new board if you arent saving over 30$ buying used and getting a better board at that just for convenience and the warranty (which can definitely come in handy when were dealing with the most error prone part in a build), if the wifi is not needed theres the b450m-a ii for 10$ less and you can probs cut ~20$ with those aformenioned used b3/450 (expect midrangers like the tomahawk pro4 etc.) if youd like a better board cause buying a new b550 is a complete waste of money when used b450 has the same i/o for half the price and besides this is a dead platform might aswell use its advantages

cx750 is a better value psu and it actually has a warranty, a mostly useless one but if you get a lemon that dies before the expected 10-15+ year lifespan then it can come in handy not to mention the extra wattage

otherwise build looks very good

Thank you very much for the feedback.

12 minutes ago, tkitch said:

i was not suggesting the 5500 as id pick a used 5600g over a new 5500 at the same price

4 minutes ago, Tamgam12 said:

now thats a whole lot better though cooler wise id go straight for a phantom spirit at 36$ so you never have to upgrade the cooler again or at the very least an assassin king for a couple bucks extra as that performs abit better

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Thank you again for the help. I know just enough to know I don't know. Lol

22 minutes ago, Tamgam12 said:

Thank you again for the help. I know just enough to know I don't know. Lol

nah man you know your shit if you are buying used ryzen

13 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

nah man you know your shit if you are buying used ryzen

Would this be worth picking up? The board is a ROG cross hair 8 hero.

Screenshot_20240501_094516_OfferUp.jpg

6 minutes ago, Tamgam12 said:

Would this be worth picking up?

doesnt look bad, talk him down to the ~200 range and its a decent deal

1 minute ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

doesnt look bad, talk him down to the ~200 range and its a decent deal

I got him down to $170. Thanks for the feedback.

7 minutes ago, Tamgam12 said:

Would this be worth picking up? The board is a ROG cross hair 8 hero.

microcenter has a 12600k + z790-a + 16gb 3200 ddr4 bundle for 250$ so itd only be half decent <200$

Just now, Tamgam12 said:

I got him down to $170. Thanks for the feedback.

yeah grab it no doubt since the cpu alone is ~80$ used and a board like that is alot better than a midranger b450 youd get for 50$ used not to mention included rams