FPS drops the same time as GPU/CPU utilization drops

I can play Destiny 2 and other games without stutters for about 5 min and then consistent intervals of Frame drops begin. Overwatch 2 on 240hz stutters, but the same game with 144hz is flawless. Destiny 2 plays at 150 fps when not dipping

Screenshots and video attached

Im on windows 10 home version 22H2 64-bit

Specs:

• AOC 25" 25G3ZM/BK Monitor
  • ASRock B550M-HDV
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 C18 BK DC - 2 x 8 GB
  • be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM PSU
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU - 8 Cores - 3.8 GHz
  • Radeon RX 6700 XT - 12GB GDDR6
  • WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD 2 TB

BIOS version P3.00

Capture.PNG

ddd.PNG

23 minutes ago, MackerD said:

I can play Destiny 2 and other games without stutters for about 5 min and then consistent intervals of Frame drops begin. Overwatch 2 on 240hz stutters, but the same game with 144hz is flawless. Destiny 2 plays at 150 fps when not dipping

Screenshots and video attached

Im on windows 10 home version 22H2 64-bit

Specs:

• AOC 25" 25G3ZM/BK Monitor
  • ASRock B550M-HDV
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 C18 BK DC - 2 x 8 GB
  • be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM PSU
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU - 8 Cores - 3.8 GHz
  • Radeon RX 6700 XT - 12GB GDDR6
  • WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD 2 TB

BIOS version P3.00

Capture.PNG

ddd.PNG

What an adorable set of graphs.

What's your RAM utilization like? Is this happening while standing still as well?

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

37 minutes ago, Agall said:

What an adorable set of graphs.

What's your RAM utilization like? Is this happening while standing still as well?

Yes, still happens while standing still

Captures.PNG

16 minutes ago, MackerD said:

Yes, still happens while standing still

Captures.PNG

Its likely a software issue, but its definitely a strange case.

Reinstall Chipset drivers directly from AMD.com

B550 Drivers (amd.com)

Validate that you're on Balanced for the Windows Power Plan

Potentially try another outlet for your machine, even if you're on a UPS

Also, it looks like your GPU drivers are a year old, at least how its reported in Task Manager.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

You can add your disk "stats" in task manager (if not there) by typing "diskperf -Y" in a admin command prompt and then loading task manager again. I would be curious to see if one or more of your disks are under heavy utilization at the same time the cpu\gpu drop happens?

I would do what Agall suggests, update the video drivers and also fully reboot the PC (your uptime is 18 days)..

1 hour ago, Agall said:

Its likely a software issue, but its definitely a strange case.

Reinstall Chipset drivers directly from AMD.com

B550 Drivers (amd.com)

Validate that you're on Balanced for the Windows Power Plan

Potentially try another outlet for your machine, even if you're on a UPS

Also, it looks like your GPU drivers are a year old, at least how its reported in Task Manager.

Nothing worked unfortunately

1 hour ago, Allan B said:

You can add your disk "stats" in task manager (if not there) by typing "diskperf -Y" in a admin command prompt and then loading task manager again. I would be curious to see if one or more of your disks are under heavy utilization at the same time the cpu\gpu drop happens?

I would do what Agall suggests, update the video drivers and also fully reboot the PC (your uptime is 18 days)..

The spikes seem to happen at the same time as cpu/gpu drops

Capturesss.PNG.b838e61311030f6a5ce4bb0359b40d04.PNG

13 minutes ago, MackerD said:

Nothing worked unfortunately

The spikes seem to happen at the same time as cpu/gpu drops

Capturesss.PNG.b838e61311030f6a5ce4bb0359b40d04.PNG

Run Cinebench R23, use the Advanced option to do a single run.

Keep in mind that your motherboard supports the 5800x, but its probably not a great idea. Its only using a 4pin EPS connector so you're probably TDP/VRM limited. Potentially worth enforcing that in the UEFI to see if your CPU is trying to boost higher than what's reasonable.

Its also possible that your drive is overheating, given its a PCIe 4.0 4x underneath a GPU.

I'd run HWinfo64 in the background, focusing on CPU wattage and your drive's temps.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

1 hour ago, Agall said:

Run Cinebench R23, use the Advanced option to do a single run.

Keep in mind that your motherboard supports the 5800x, but its probably not a great idea. Its only using a 4pin EPS connector so you're probably TDP/VRM limited. Potentially worth enforcing that in the UEFI to see if your CPU is trying to boost higher than what's reasonable.

Its also possible that your drive is overheating, given its a PCIe 4.0 4x underneath a GPU.

I'd run HWinfo64 in the background, focusing on CPU wattage and your drive's temps.

Capturez.PNG.9203c4f24892e77c40098b9e14a750d9.PNG

- Excuse my newbie knowledge but I dont know what you mean by "Potentially worth enforcing that in the UEFI to see if your CPU is trying to boost higher than what's reasonable." other than its in the UEFI.

Also the drive was around 50 degrees Celsius while playing Destiny 2.

Heres the values while playing Destiny 2

cpuwattage.PNG.4b397b5c2a9aeb8f9b193af1a4d76040.PNG

31 minutes ago, MackerD said:

Capturez.PNG.9203c4f24892e77c40098b9e14a750d9.PNG

- Excuse my newbie knowledge but I dont know what you mean by "Potentially worth enforcing that in the UEFI to see if your CPU is trying to boost higher than what's reasonable." other than its in the UEFI.

Also the drive was around 50 degrees Celsius while playing Destiny 2.

Heres the values while playing Destiny 2

cpuwattage.PNG.4b397b5c2a9aeb8f9b193af1a4d76040.PNG

The 5800x wants to draw upwards of 140W, but the board is seemingly limited to about 105W. If you force the TDP to be 105W by enabling ECO mode in the UEFI, then its a variable to test. Its also possible that your RTX 4080 is overdrawing from the PCIe bus, something HWinfo64 will show in the GPU section's power draw drop down.

9885 is really low for a 5800x, which is around 15k for cinebench R23. The single core is close enough to normal though, which tracks with a wattage limited 5800x. Even then, a 105W limited 5800x should be getting at least 12k.

Another thing that popped into mind is your RAM and the FCLK. Ryzen 5000 wants a 1:1:1 FCLK:MCLK:UCLK, which is the bus between the CPU core die(s) and the I/O die, the memory controller clocks, and the unified memory controller clock. With a 3600MHz RAM kit, it should be 1800MHz on the FCLK:MCLK:UCLK. Most chips can run it, but your motherboard might not handle that well. That's where you'd turn down the RAM to 1600MHz and just make sure the rest is in AUTO to enforce 1600MHz on the FCLK.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

system power is really an awful psu too, not really adequate for a system like this...

also as already has been mentioned make sure all your drivers, chipset and BIOS are on the latest versions. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, MackerD said:

Overwatch 2 on 240hz stutters, but the same game with 144hz is flawless.

i mean, maybe that's just the limit of your hardware... depending on settings that seems about right tbh... if gpu is maxed out its normal for the cpu to drop btw, i mean it has nothing to do but wait on gpu so it lowers clocks naturally...

I'd recommend to run firestrike benchmark (demo on STEAM) and *link* to the results here. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean, maybe that's just the limit of your hardware... depending on settings that seems about right tbh... if gpu is maxed out its normal for the cpu to drop btw, i mean it has nothing to do but wait on gpu so it lowers clocks naturally...

I'd recommend to run firestrike benchmark (demo on STEAM) and *link* to the results here. 

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/31747255

3 hours ago, MackerD said:

yeah, its not performing as it should,  but you aren't telling us about the driver situation  - you need to update all drivers, especially GPU, motherboard BIOS and also CPU chipset drivers.

This can make a significant difference,  if you feel unable to do this yourself i suggest going to a repair shop so they could do it for you.

ps: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS

AMD chipset drivers have already posted above.

link to GPU drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/graphics/radeon-rx/radeon-rx-6000-series/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt.html

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, its not performing as it should,  but you aren't telling us about the driver situation  - you need to update all drivers, especially GPU, motherboard BIOS and also CPU chipset drivers.

This can make a significant difference,  if you feel unable to do this yourself i suggest going to a repair shop so they could do it for you.

ps: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS

AMD chipset drivers have already posted above.

link to GPU drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/graphics/radeon-rx/radeon-rx-6000-series/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt.html

I updated everything, but its the same, though i have found that limiting fps to a lower number ingame or externally, seems to remove the lag spikes either completely or for some half an hour of time

On 5/1/2024 at 9:58 PM, Agall said:

The 5800x wants to draw upwards of 140W, but the board is seemingly limited to about 105W. If you force the TDP to be 105W by enabling ECO mode in the UEFI, then its a variable to test. Its also possible that your RTX 4080 is overdrawing from the PCIe bus, something HWinfo64 will show in the GPU section's power draw drop down.

9885 is really low for a 5800x, which is around 15k for cinebench R23. The single core is close enough to normal though, which tracks with a wattage limited 5800x. Even then, a 105W limited 5800x should be getting at least 12k.

Another thing that popped into mind is your RAM and the FCLK. Ryzen 5000 wants a 1:1:1 FCLK:MCLK:UCLK, which is the bus between the CPU core die(s) and the I/O die, the memory controller clocks, and the unified memory controller clock. With a 3600MHz RAM kit, it should be 1800MHz on the FCLK:MCLK:UCLK. Most chips can run it, but your motherboard might not handle that well. That's where you'd turn down the RAM to 1600MHz and just make sure the rest is in AUTO to enforce 1600MHz on the FCLK.

I havent tried this yet