Poor service, on hold for ages, no resolution to problems? You may have a low Customer Score with the company. More companies are using it.

GoodBytes

More and more companies, are using a system called the Customer Lifetime Value (CLV) score, to provide preferential services to customers that the company evaluates as more valuable over others. This means, that if you have a low score, and you call for support, you may be waiting for an extra long time on the phone to get someone from the company, while a high score customer may get first in line service when they call, free extras and more.

What is the CLV that some growing companies uses?

Well, based on the price you pay a companies service, how willing or not in getting extras, how you shop for their service, and more is all monitored, proceeded and digested to a score. Based on the score you can have varying quality of service.

A person that seeks the lowest rates, complains a lot, do warranty repairs a lot, are all things that may reduce this score. And reverse hold true for gaining a higher score. Joining their loyalty program, big customer, using often their service? Score will increase.

The Wall Street Journal reports:

Your score can determine the prices you pay, the products and ads you see and the perks you receive.

Credit-card companies use the scoring systems to decide what to offer customers who want to cancel their cards. Wireless carriers route high-value callers immediately to their most skilled agents. At some airlines, a high score increases the odds of a seat upgrade.

“There’s no free lunch,” says Sunil Gupta, a marketing professor at Harvard Business School who has researched models for calculating lifetime value. “The more profitable you are, the better service you will get.”
[...]

Everyone with a bank account, cellphone or online shopping habit has at least one CLV score, more likely several. And most people have no inkling they even exist, let alone how they are used, what goes into them or how accurate they are. Unlike credit scores, CLVs aren’t available to consumers and aren’t monitored by any government agency.

These days, companies are resorting to all sorts of data and scores to size up consumers and predict their behavior.

In other words and a big visual example of CLV in action are air lines. If you travel often with the same airlines, get the fancier seats all the time, get extras, and join their loyalty club, good chances that if you miss your flight one day, you'll get an excellent alternative flight, maybe even get upgraded. Go cheap and be cheap often then probably you will be told that there is no room and that there is nothing they can do, and maybe just maybe the next flight might have room for you... Now you know why some people get free first class/business class upgrade for free when they ask, and others the answer is no all the time.

Source (paywall): https://www.wsj.com/articles/on-hold-for-45-minutes-it-might-be-your-secret-customer-score-1541084656

MSN news to the rescue: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/on-hold-for-45-minutes-it-might-be-your-secret-customer-score/ar-BBPdiSD?ocid=ob-fb-enus-894

What do you think with the ever growing number of companies that uses CLV score?

In a way, one can say that, no everyone has the luxury to get fancy service, and already getting the basic service is a stretch to them, so already for the company to get this as a customer, while profit margins are small, it adds up, and is of course, better than nothing. While I understand companies wanting to ensure that their big customers doesn't go to their competitors, and brings a lot of money to the company, that they deserve the best service. Should a law be imposed by the government forcing companies to be able to give preferential treatment to customers?

Social engineering... 

It's been happening for ages...

And never for the better. 

do warranty repairs a lot

If the repair can be done under warranty, it should be done under warranty. Why fault the consumer for seeking the most appropriate route? All of this screams "profit" over "customer service". 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Maybe this explains why sometimes they do nothing he asked for. My dad constantly calls T-Mobile because "he's paying too much". I don't know anything about what are good prices for carriers, but lets overlook that. So he calls them and yells at them about how they are bad and mistreat their customers. And then he demands he wants a lower price. They'll apologize like 10 times and they will transfer him once or twice and they'll say it's done. So next time the bill comes, it's lower, but another month later its back to the same. Oh the world. 

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

Its called 'Living in Australia"

7 minutes ago, Dominik W. said:

Maybe this explains why sometimes they do nothing he asked for. My dad constantly calls T-Mobile because "he's paying too much". I don't know anything about what are good prices for carriers, but lets overlook that. So he calls them and yells at them about how they are bad and mistreat their customers. And then he demands he wants a lower price. They'll apologize like 10 times and they will transfer him once or twice and they'll say it's done. So next time the bill comes, it's lower, but another month later its back to the same. Oh the world. 

Depends. Assuming that he didn't pass limits and such, it could be a business model. I know that here in Canada, we have a communication giant, which strive with billing errors out of many customers. Their business model (although, of course they never admit to this) is on people not paying attention to their bills, and just pays it, thinking that everything is normal, or hope that you don't have time to call, and pay the amount despite being higher than agreed upon. So I don't know about T-Mobile, but they may use the same software as the one in Canada which tends to do a lot of billing errors in favor of the company, let;s just leave it at that.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Depends. Assuming that he didn't pass limits and such, it could be a business model. I know that here in Canada, we have a communication giant, which strive with billing errors out of many customers. Their business model (although, of course they never admit to this) is on people not paying attention to their bills, and just pays it, thinking that everything is normal, or hope that you don't have time to call, and pay the amount despite being higher than agreed upon. So I don't know about T-Mobile, but they may use the same software as the one in Canada which tends to do a lot of billing errors in favor of the company, let;s just leave it at that.

I guess so. 

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Should a law be imposed by the government forcing companies to be able to give preferential treatment to customers?

It should be banned IMO. Its just nuts to practically ignore normal costumers in favor of the wealthy....

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What do you think with the ever growing number of companies that uses CLV score?

I am fine with t hat because I would do the same if I had a huge business.

Reminds me of one of the things that drove me up the wall with Windows PC support for a while (and is likely still the case for many vendors): this notion that the quality of support should be tied to the particular model line you get.

For example, I remember Dell XPS buyers having support separate from the Inspiron crowd.  Bought a flagship gaming rig?  Right this way, you'll talk to our best people and we'll practically massage your feet while we're at it.  Couldn't justify it or didn't get lucky with a job out of college?  Aw, too bad... hope you don't mind two-hour calls to someone who's clearly just reading from a script.

As a rule, I would only expect a special level of support if it's clearly a luxury product or service.  But if it's mainstream?  Give everybody the same level of support.  They won't become loyal customers if you treat them like garbage for not spending more.

There's two sides to this.

1) Terrible Customers are actually negative for a company, and they're just a headache for the sake of being a headache.

2) This punishes people that actually are given bad customer service simply for getting bad service.

I read into the 2nd source since the first requires signing into WSJ to read fully.

Based on what I've read of the 2nd source, I now feel confident that a company I used to buy from probably used CLV based on my experiences with them.

Honestly, I think that CLVs should be regulated just like Credit Scores and consumers should be able to find out their score from each company using it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I read into the 2nd source since the first requires signing into WSJ to read fully.

It's the same. MSN purchased it for public viewing on their site.

I have had several experiences of this both positive and negative. One company who I learnt to drive with were great at picking up the phone when you needed to put more money into your account for the lessons, but when It came time that I passed my test, trying to get the 100 quid back took about 6 calls and 3 weeks for it to finally be processed. 

I think that for some services like emirates lets say, should have a system where their clients flying first will have a different rep on the phone because they've paid 15 grand for their flight compared to 400 quid for economy.

For most services like windows support or whatever, it should all be the same, because were all complaining about how crap their systems are. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

So if you do something they consider bad, you get bad customer service, and if you complain that they get bad customer service they get even worse customer service like a downhill spiral?

I don't don't like it. Don't even know if I would be good or bad score.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Dominik W. said:

How much does he pay? Cause the lowest plan for one line is like $60. He's not going to get service cheaper than what they advertise. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Fortunately I've learnt to fix most issues with everything so I don't have to rely on shit tier employees that don't know shit about solving problems or dumb fuck minimum wage "technicians" that think can they treat me like shit.

it's also true most ISP or cable customers are useless brainlets who blame everything on the support guys when they break things on purpose or by pure ignorance

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I see two sides to this one every customer should be treated with priority and stores should strive to have good service for everyone. The other side of this is that's not possible and shop owners have been doing this for ages. When someone walks into a shop they size them up to see how valuable of a client they are. If a rich guy and homeless guy walked into a store at the same time who do you think the manager walks up to first bingo rich guy. It's just the way it is you can't loose out on business because you spent a ton of time helping someone who spent hardly anything or cost the company money while a guy willing to spend a lot of money is on hold. I'm not saying that's good but it's how it works. Just wait till it's shared accross all the companies in the world.

4 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

...2) This punishes people that actually are given bad customer service simply for getting bad service.

This may help explain why customer service at Amazxon became so horrible for me. It's not my fault that Amazon would ship the wrong items (repeatedly), do a lousy job of packaging orders, resulted in frequent breakage, and their own delivery service would damage packages or improperly deliver them. The result, however, was I now take my business elsewhere where I have far fewer problems, if any.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

do warranty repairs a lot,

Don't know about you guys but if this is the metric they use to determine how valuable their customer is then they don't deserve customers.  The thought of being treated like a shit customer becasue they sold me a faulty product is rather aggravating.

I think that would actually go against them in the long run, genuinely grieved customers tell everyone how shit you are, they are the customers you have to appease the most.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It is just Kapatalism working as intended comrade ?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

My ISP charged me for delivery for equipment I never ordered or received, and a monthly charge on top of that. 
Took me an hour and half to argue it away. IDGAF if it's what THE SYSTEM does, im not fucking paying for stuff I don't have. 

Just looked today, charges reappeared on same bill. Calling again

Retentions department second time in a month. Know my score is low. They told me in a round about way. 

Been a customer without problems for years. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This has been common practices in call centers for decades, literally. Like not all places have specific guidelines but if you're out of contract, if you've been a customer for a long time, if you're paying above the average customer, etc. Usually the customer information has big signs that say "Danger Will Robinson!" And you get to give em small credits, remove or waive fees, offer shit at a discount, etc. Just to keep em around.

-------

Current Rig

-------