Police Demand Google Maps Remove New ‘Speed Trap’ Feature

Flying Sausages

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2019/10/23/police-demand-google-maps-remove-new-speed-trap-feature/

Police across the country are expressing concern about a new feature coming to Google Maps that allows users around the world to track the real-time location of officers.

Android users have been able to report crashes, speed traps and traffic slowdowns right on the app since 2018. However, those features had been unavailable to iOS users — until last week, according to a Google blog post.

“Revealing the location of checkpoints puts those drivers, their passengers, and the general public at risk,” the New York Police Department wrote in a letter to Google in February, demanding that Waze stop alerting users to those locations.

The National Sheriffs’ Association went even further, saying the feature puts officers at risk by letting criminals or even terrorists know where they are on a map.

Screw the popo, let us drive us fast! We want to drive fast because we don't like to hangout with popo that will give us over $100 for 5 mph over the speed limit. Smart criminals and terrorists will let the popo go after them instead. We want to drive fast and die fast like a real man. No airbag, we die like a real man.

Can't decide if the "personal opinion" is legitimate or a troll trying to be funny.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Can't decide if the "personal opinion" is legitimate or a troll trying to be funny.

I am dead serious don't like the police officer. Every time a police car gets behind, I get nervous like the police officer waiting to pull the siren when I speeding 5mph over the speed limit.

Okay, someone help me here. 

Speed traps are meant to deter people from speeding, therefore increasing the safety of the roads. Yes? 

So, If i know where a speed trap is, I'm going to slow down anyway..... 

Personally, I would admit to technically 'speeding' 70% of the time. 

Because if i don't, I have some total cunt right up my arse. 

And having been rear ended on a bike, it ain't fun 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

5 minutes ago, wANKER said:

Okay, someone help me here. 

Speed traps are meant to deter people from speeding, therefore increasing the safety of the roads. Yes? 

So, If i know where a speed trap is, I'm going to slow down..... 

Personally, I would admit to technically 'speeding' 70% of the time. 

Because if i don't, I have some total cunt right up my arse. 

And having been rear ended on a bike, it ain't fun 

Fun Fact: While the law about speeding in England is a firm limit police policy is to allow 10% plus 2 over the limit before prosecution. This is to allow for different speedo calibrations across different vehicle types. That doesn't apply to 20MPH zones though.

Technically you can be prosecuted for being 1MPH over but anything under 10% plus 2 you refuse the ticket, go to court and ask the judge to take the policy recommendation into account.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

as a waze user(which is also owned by google) ive had access to this feature for years.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

11 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

as a waze user(which is also owned by google) ive had access to this feature for years.

what? monopoly as fuck. is that allowed?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Didn't a different Police Department demand the same for Waze?

(Waze still has this feature so I'm assuming they failed miserably)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

The only real risk is to there income from fines.

As for the statement that knowing where the police is puts them at risk is BS, if people really wanted to harm police they can just call and report a fake crime then have them go exactly were they wanted. 

As for checkpoint it will now mean they actually have to patrol and do there jobs.

We have a local facebook group dedicated to reporting of traffic police locations. The police have officially expressed support and said that it's good that people use it. The idea is simple - they can show up somewhere for 5 minutes, somebody reports it, and then people don't speed there for hours, which is what they wanted to achieve in the first place. I suppose the question with the app is, how fast will reports disappear after the police leave?

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Fun Fact: While the law about speeding in England is a firm limit police policy is to allow 10% plus 2 over the limit before prosecution. This is to allow for different speedo calibrations across different vehicle types. That doesn't apply to 20MPH zones though.

Technically you can be prosecuted for being 1MPH over but anything under 10% plus 2 you refuse the ticket, go to court and ask the judge to take the policy recommendation into account.

It's largely the same in the US. Cops won't write you a ticket for going 5 over 50 or similar because a judge will throw it out 99% of the time if you decide to fight it. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Perhaps officers should take their job more seriously and actively work against the feature instead of just complaining to Google that they're no longer able to relax in the same spot for several hours.

I don't trust Google, but I trust police officers even less. Google absolutely shouldn't listen to the demands of these clowns.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Honestly if people didn't drive like assholes I wouldn't speed as well. 

29 minutes ago, Yebi said:

We have a local facebook group dedicated to reporting of traffic police locations. The police have officially expressed support and said that it's good that people use it. The idea is simple - they can show up somewhere for 5 minutes, somebody reports it, and then people don't speed there for hours, which is what they wanted to achieve in the first place. I suppose the question with the app is, how fast will reports disappear after the police leave?

Smart move.  xD The police do the some what similar in Dothan.  Along with doing DUI checks on certain weekends as well.  Seems to get folks to be a bit more mindful of their driving.

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Maybe it's an American thing, but I don't get the cop hate. 

How about people just don't speed? 

Even as an American, I don't get it either.  I never really had a big issue with cops, even the few times I got pulled over.  Heck, I had cops help me and others with keys lock in our vehicles or a flat tire.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

24 minutes ago, Yebi said:

What if the police report there are speed traps where there aren't...

They could make it seem like their are a ton of speed traps and make people slow down without having to even have a speed trap. 

2 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Screw the popo, let us drive us fast!

>be you

>be speeding

>another car heads right into you

>can't stop yourself because your going to fast...

> https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=seKAV_1571849886         (18+ video, kids, this isn't your YouTube car crash)

thats the reason why we have speed limits, don't be an idiot and follow your country's laws regarding vehicle operations and usage.

we have it for a fucking reason, yes it's stupid that you may get charged $100 USD (may be different in other places) for going 1 mile over the limit, but that mile can kill.

here in Australia the most popular ad to prevent speeding has a slogan with the text "An extra km can kill... don't speed" cause it may, and can happen!

if you want to drive at 200 miles an hr, go do it on a race track, not the roads, so if you spin out you don't hurt others...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

10 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Maybe it's an American thing, but I don't get the cop hate. 

How about people just don't speed? 

I'd wager public sentiment about police depends a lot on the agreeability of officers, which can be affected by multiple factors such as training and work environment / pay levels.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

14 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

>be you

>be speeding

>another car heads right into you

>can't stop yourself because your going to fast...

> https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=seKAV_1571849886         (18+ video, kids, this isn't your YouTube car crash)

thats the reason why we have speed limits, don't be an idiot and follow your country's laws regarding vehicle operations and usage.

we have it for a fucking reason, yes it's stupid that you may get charged $100 USD (may be different in other places) for going 1 mile over the limit, but that mile can kill.

here in Australia the most popular ad to prevent speeding has a slogan with the text "An extra km can kill... don't speed" cause it may, and can happen!

if you want to drive at 200 miles an hr, go do it on a race track, not the roads, so if you spin out you don't hurt others...

That has nothing to do with speed limits. That is someone running a red light. They could have been going the legal limit, and not seen the light. They could have been going the legal limit and the light was quicker than normal from green, yellow, then red. They could have been going the legal limit and assumed that oncoming traffic would go before cross traffic, and the person making the turn would see them coming fast and not go. All of them terrible, but all going the legal posted speed limit.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

Unless there is some law that says these companies have to stop providing the location of police, this police department can "demand" nothing. The only thing they can do is request that these companies kneel to them. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)