Apple blocking Linux installs on newest Macs with T2 chip

Jito463

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/06/apple_mac_linux_woes/

It seems that Apple isn't happy with people running Linux on their newest Macbook Air and Mac Mini models (presumably any new models with the T2 chip).  The MS cert that Linux users have been using to authenticate the UEFI boot on Macs is no longer accepted.

Out of the box, the Mac doesn't like to boot anything that isn't Apple approved. It will go into Recovery, Diagnostics or Internet Recovery mode, but anything else is a definite no-no. The machines will, by default, only trust content signed by Apple.

In documentation for the T2 chip (PDF) kind old Cupertino concedes that people might want to use other, non-Apple, operating systems and so you can use BootCamp to get Windows up and running thanks to a copy of the Microsoft Windows Production CA 2011 certificate in the UEFI firmware.

The problems come when you want to run something that isn't Windows. In the past, Linux fans were able to make use of the Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011. But not any more. According to Apple: "There is currently no trust provided for the the Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011."

This is bad news since, in Apple's words, "This UEFI CA is commonly used to verify the authenticity of bootloaders for other operating systems such as Linux variants."

Normally, that wouldn't be much of an issue as one can typically disable Secure Boot via a utility, but apparently that no longer works.

At this point Penguinistas would expect to be able to reach for the Apple Startup Security Utility, which provides the option to boot with No Security. However, according to Apple, this option "does not enforce any requirements on the bootable OS".

Obviously, this has its downsides, but if you're savvy enough to try to put Linux on a Mac, you should understand the implications.

The problem is that, according to a posting on StackExchange, changing the Secure Boot option "makes no difference".

I find it ironic that everyone freaked out at MS when Secure Boot was implemented, because they thought it was an attempt to block the install of non-Windows operating systems; yet it ends up being Apple who does the blocking, despite MacOS being built on *Nix.  I've never been a fan of Apple, but I never thought of them as dumb.  However, they really seem to be making some dumb moves lately.

Well Secure boot only allows macOS and Windows to boot on the machine, anything else is considered a security risk. 

You can disable the T2 chip in all Macs that have it if you really need Linux on a MacBook for some reason and a VM won't do. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

One minute, I think that's a new personal best for you. ;) 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well Secure boot only allows macOS and Windows to boot on the machine, anything else is considered a security risk.

Except that previously, it appears Linux users could use the MS cert to authenticate Linux while still using SB.  This is apparently no longer the case.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You can disable the T2 chip in all Macs that have it if you really need Linux on a MacBook for some reason and a VM won't do.

I haven't read up too much on it, but have they stated what the T2 chip actually does, and what the repercussions are of disabling it?

I guess Linux is a "security risk" LOL.

What is more dumb IMO is them using security as an excuse to get rid of the data recovery port to save a few cents on build cost, sure security is nice to a point but too far when you can't recover anything from a dead machine.

If you're buying ANY Mac device to install another OS to, you need to reevaluate your life decisions.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

sure security is nice to a point but too far when you can't recover anything from a dead machine.

Ever heard of TimeMachine? Backup your data 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I haven't read up too much on it, but have they stated what the T2 chip actually does, and what the repercussions are of disabling it?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208862

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208330

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

According to this link, one should be able to use the Startup Security Utility to disable SB, but according to the article people were reporting that it doesn't work.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/463422/2018-macbook-pro-tb-1tb-ssd

The F is it with The Register's title for this article?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

32 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If you're buying ANY Mac device to install another OS to, you need to reevaluate your life decisions.

In fairness. Bootcamp is arguably a much superior option than the freeware alternatives for dual booting, and dual booting has a LOT of applications.

Truth be told, dual booting is literally the only application I have ever recommended an OS 10.X device for in the 5 or so years. The hardware and software are just too shitty (for the price) to recommend for anyone only using one OS.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

38 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I guess Linux is a "security risk" LOL.

There's a lot that can go wrong with an Open Source OS. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I think you're missing the point. Nobody buys a 2018 Mac to run Linux on it however in 2021 when Apple stop offering updates for the device running Linux is a great way of keeping an old device running latest version software.

Apple are effectively ensuring their old and unsupported devices are even more unsupported once they stop supporting them. Yet another way to force users running old hardware to chuck it away and upgrade.

There's something Jim Sterling always says about greedy game publishers that also applies to Apple. Every company wants more money, that's why they exist but these mega corporations aren't happy with just some money, they want all the money and unfortunately, because money isn't infinite they can't have all the money. The richest and greediest corporations all face a paradox, they're doing so well now and exactly because they're doing so well now means investors and shareholders expect more growth permanently but permanent growth is impossible because as I've already said, there isn't infinite money so there has to come a point where, they've pulled every stunt and burned every bridge and yet are still "unsuccessful" in the eyes of the investors and shareholders. That doesn't necessarily mean they're unprofitable either, they can still be making money every month but because its not actual growth they're still classed as unsuccessful non the less.

Apple are rapidly approaching that point, that's why they're resorting to increasingly underhanded tactics to force users to upgrade older hardware, they have to maintain that growth, even a plateau would be considered failure in the eyes of the business world.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

LOL who buys macbooks for linux is dumb! First of all those machines are so weak, they have the worst build quality! Second there exists legendary thinkpad series, which cost less then macbooks with much better hardware and run linux prety well AND are much more good looking! Fuck apple!

But i must admit every time apple makes such moves to limit their users, or raises prices for their product i like it! Because their customers deserve all that and even worse! GG apple!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

The MacOS kernel is open source as well so I don't think that situation is against open source or Linux, I don't think there is some sort of apple conspiracy.

That just means new certificates are required and maybe not today but they'll surely do that in the future, like Microsoft did with secure boot.

Wouldn’t have been able to install Linux on them anyway.

2 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

they have the worst build quality!

maybe the newer ones, but the 2015 and back ones are really nice at least. mom has had a 2012 and a 2015 and they feel really goood. the OS in unbareable and the specs for the price are garbage but they feel nice to hold and look pretty good too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

maybe the newer ones, but the 2015 and back ones are really nice at least.

LOL they were Designed to break!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Maybe so, but it's still not very nice... plus, if you want to keep using it beyond the product's end of life (with OS updates) Linux has always been a good option.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

39 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Maybe so, but it's still not very nice... plus, if you want to keep using it beyond the product's end of life (with OS updates) Linux has always been a good option.

Its staggering when you realise just how many old computers are actually still useful if updated to a Linux Distro. Even old Celeron M or Pentium IV laptops.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I find it ironic that everyone freaked out at MS when Secure Boot was implemented, because they thought it was an attempt to block the install of non-Windows operating systems; yet it ends up being Apple who does the blocking, despite MacOS being built on *Nix.  I've never been a fan of Apple, but I never thought of them as dumb.  However, they really seem to be making some dumb moves lately.

I don't really see this as a problem when it can be disabled. 

image.png.f1b27a43313cf321a0b3985bf73573f2.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

anything else is considered a security risk. 

a security risk.

linux users...

go ahead...

i can't be bothered to argue against this...

i'm tired of this stuff, i can't continue on...

thank you, thank you, ill be here all week!!!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Ever heard of TimeMachine? Backup your data 

As you have experienced, Time Machine isn't 100% reliable. Just because you have a second option does not mean you should get rid of the first.

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

There's a lot that can go wrong with an Open Source OS. 

A lot has gone and will continue to go wrong with every major OS, regardless of being open source or not.

Can't you disable the secure boot? lol 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch