Apple blocking Linux installs on newest Macs with T2 chip

Jito463

Spending that much on a overpriced mac and installing linux makes no sense. Then just buy a pc.

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

Spending that much on a overpriced mac and installing linux makes no sense. Then just buy a pc.

I use a mac with windows at work. I didn't choose to buy the mac. I already had a good desktop that worked much better for me. 

They decided to waste like 2500$ on getting me "the best" 

Plus linux shouldn't be blocked on anything (not that it really is in this case). That's kinda the point of the foss for the consumer movement. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Is Linux really seen as a security risk though? I feel like the user paid for the product and they should get to do what they want with it.

Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

Is Linux really seen as a security risk though? I feel like the user paid for the product and they should get to do what they want with it.

Linux is no more a security risk then any other operating system. What it is is a risk to Apples bottom line and nothing can stand between Apple and making money.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Plus linux shouldn't be blocked on anything (not that it really is in this case). That's kinda the point of the foss for the consumer movement. 

How did you get around it then? Disable the T2 chip or did I miss something else?

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Linux is no more a security risk then any other operating system. What it is is a risk to Apples bottom line and nothing can stand between Apple and making money.

I guess they don't make money through their MacOS Store? Perhaps iCloud and iTunes, yeah I see your point. By running Linux on Mac you're ignoring Apple's big selling point, their ecosystem, and all the money you spend within it. Nice point.

Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

I guess they don't make money through their MacOS Store? Perhaps iCloud and iTunes, yeah I see your point. By running Linux on Mac you're ignoring Apple's big selling point, their ecosystem, and all the money you spend within it. Nice point.

And Linux allows users to keep outdated and unsupported hardware running long after its support period is up. Those people should be buying new Mac's, not running Linux.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I use a mac with windows at work. I didn't choose to buy the mac. I already had a good desktop that worked much better for me. 

They decided to waste like 2500$ on getting me "the best" 

your case is special. My i stand for what i wrote.

I do agree it's stupid to block it, even more as a security risk being that it's probably the safer OS of them all. 

Just now, Master Disaster said:

And Linux allows users to keep outdated and unsupported hardware running long after its support period is up. Those people should be buying new Mac's, not running Linux. 

I find that interesting, that wouldn't be an issue personally, I try and get as much use out of products as I can, so I'm not opposed to running older software but I'm sure many others need to have constant updates or support. I mean you can see why Apple wouldn't want to encourage this, it's funny they call it a 'security risk' though.

I can't help but wonder, wouldn't running Windows also allow users to potentially get more out of their devices? They'd also lose out on potential income their too so what incentive to Apple have to allow Windows installs?

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

I do agree it's stupid to block it, even more as a security risk being that it's probably the safer OS of them all. 

That's exactly what I was thinking, Windows is arguably the most insecure but they're still 'allowing' it to be installed.

14 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

How did you get around it then? Disable the T2 chip or did I miss something else?

Mine is the mac right before the t2 chip so I can't test it, but as far as I can tell you just go the the boot security settings and disable the security. 
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If you are willing to pay this much for a laptop to install linux on just get a surface laptop instead.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well Secure boot only allows macOS and Windows to boot on the machine, anything else is considered a security risk. 

You can disable the T2 chip in all Macs that have it if you really need Linux on a MacBook for some reason and a VM won't do. 

I've tried Linux VMs and they simply won't do because the godawful performance due to lack of GPU acceleration. Also virtualizing everything even on an 8 core Ryzen 7 isn't great :( .

At some point I just decided to put Linux full time on my T480. If i want to do linux stuff on my desktop then I can dual-boot.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

If you're buying ANY Mac device to install another OS to, you need to reevaluate your life decisions.

*FUNNY* + *AGREE*

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I don't really see this as a problem when it can be disabled.

3 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Can't you disable the secure boot? lol 

Gee, I wish I had thought to address that in an earlier post (or even directly in the OP).......

8 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Normally, that wouldn't be much of an issue as one can typically disable Secure Boot via a utility, but apparently that no longer works.

8 hours ago, Jito463 said:

According to this link, one should be able to use the Startup Security Utility to disable SB, but according to the article people were reporting that it doesn't work.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/463422/2018-macbook-pro-tb-1tb-ssd

3 hours ago, asus killer said:

what if you want to have apple exclusive apps like final cut and also want/need to use Linux for some reason? 

since Apple products are very expensive it's possible that people in that scenario don't have money left over for another system to run Linux. dual-booting is a good option in that case. 

She/Her

44 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

what if you want to have apple exclusive apps like final cut and also want/need to use Linux for some reason

Virtualize Linux.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Virtualize Linux.

what if you needed something a VM couldn't do? 

She/Her

14 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

what if you needed something a VM couldn't do? 

Like what?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Like what?

Just now, Jito463 said:

One example (that was brought up earlier) would be hardware GPU acceleration.

exactly. 

or hot plug usb.

She/Her

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Like what?

I sometimes find issues with some specific USB-devices not working properly/at all when passed through to a VM. Granted, this is under Windows/Linux, not OSX, and using VMware, but I would imagine a similar issue could crop up there, too.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

One example (that was brought up earlier) would be hardware GPU acceleration.

Parallels allows that.

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

exactly. 

or hot plug usb.

Parallels allows that.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I sometimes find issues with some specific USB-devices not working properly/at all when passed through to a VM. Granted, this is under Windows/Linux, not OSX, and using VMware, but I would imagine a similar issue could crop up there, too.

My testing of Parallels was that when you're running the VM full screen, it's almost identical to running it on the metal on a mac.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Parallels allows that.

it does? can you game using it?

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Parallels allows that.

interesting

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

My testing of Parallels was that when you're running the VM full screen, it's almost identical to running it on the metal on a mac.

did you run benchmarks to confirm that? like is cpu and gpu performance the same?

She/Her

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That's not a rebuttal of what I said. I mean, the same thing applies VMware, and yet, the issue I mentioned does exist. In most/nearly all cases, yes, USB-passthrough does work fine, but there are cases where it doesn't. When the passthrough works, yes, "it's almost identical to running it on the metal", to quote you.

One such case is e.g. devices that change their USBID several times during reconfiguration: the passthrough introduces just enough delay that the flashing-application's timing goes off, doesn't catch all these changes and then doesn't work, and you either have to dig into the app and try to modify it to get the timing right, or you have to drop out of VM and do it on real HW.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.