What is so wrong about getting your PC money from parents?

XCalinX

Hey guys,

I'm almost 16 and I have a 5800$ watercooled rig that I built myself. Most people seem to like it but some of them passionately hate me for one single reason: I got the money for it from my parents.

Initally, they think we're rich but we are not. We have an average income in one of the poorest countries in Europe: Romania. Then I explain that I just wanted this PC so bad and they happened to be friendly enough to give up on other things like cars so that I can afford it. Then the people I tell this to get super mad at me and start insulting the crap out of me and some of them even photoshopped pictures of me to make me look like I'm doing you know some dirty things.

I don't understand why people react like this, it's my parents money, not their money and they are free to do whatever they want with them. I don't judge others based on what they spend their money on (I used to when I was like 11), even though sometimes I really dislike the thing they spent the money on and it kinda pisses me off when I get judged that I bought my PC with my parents money. I'm pretty sure most of the things they had when they were 16 were bought with their parents money.

I just want to know why people think this is wrong, because after I tell them they go full retard instead of explaining why they don't like it.

Edit: Some people seem to think that they sold a car and the oven. They didn't. They never owned their own car and our oven is something old from 1997

Dunno, might help if you didn't bring it up? 

But yeah that's an extremely expensive computer, middle income really? 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I would assume people get mad at your for it because, frankly, $5800 on a PC is a stupid excessive amount, even for an adult who has disposable income.

You yourself said that your parents aren't rich. $5800 is a lot of money for anyone who isn't firmly "upper-middle class", at minimum.

If they just gave you that money, because you kept bugging them for it? I can totally understand why people don't really agree with you.

With that in mind, assuming your parents aren't financially retarded, they'll have made a way to afford it. Let's just hope they didn't sacrifice anything important, or go into debt, to do so.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

That's a big pricetag right there, seems like you're bragging.

And I don't know about Romania but in Canada a social courtesy of being around that age is to start being a little more independent with your money.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Nothing wrong with it at all if they know you are passionate enough about this stuff they will support you just don't take advantage of it.

3 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

I just want to know why people think this is wrong, because after I tell them they go full retard instead of explaining why they don't like it.

People are just jealous that you got an insane build for free? 95% of people aren't lucky to have rich parents and have to actually work to buy their stuff... some handle it with hatred while others don't really care... but I do agree with @Raskolnikov not bring up your luck to other people would be very good as nobody is supposed to be "happy" for your free gains, keep a low profile is the best so you don't seem like a spoiled kid showing it off.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Dude, on ALL of my computer stuff (3 laptops, 2 iMacs and all the stuff in my signature) I got for, just off the top of my head, under $1100. Now, that's still a lot, but not even close to $5800 for just the PC...

EDIT: I will be honest, my parents did pay for all of it, I can't really get a job or anything...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

People are just jealous that you got an insane build for free? 95% of people aren't lucky to have rich parents and have to actually work to buy their stuff... some handle it with hatred while others don't really care... but I do agree with @Raskolnikov not bring up your luck to other people would be very good as nobody is supposed to be "happy" for your free gains, keep a low profile is the best so you don't seem like a spoiled kid showing it off.

Agreed - don't brag about it.

@XCalinX if your parents can afford to buy you that PC, that's their business. If they couldn't afford to do it, they'd hopefully have said no. Ultimately, it's between you and your parents. I honestly just would keep the price of it to yourself - especially since you know people react badly to it.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

Initally, they think we're rich but we are not. We have an average income in one of the poorest countries in Europe: Romania. Then I explain that I just wanted this PC so bad and they happened to be friendly enough to give up on other things like cars so that I can afford it.

Sounds like your parents wanted to give you a gift one way or the other, which is nice, and that's fully their right - there's nothing wrong with it.

Then the people I tell this to get super mad at me and start insulting the crap out of me and some of them even photoshopped pictures of me to make me look like I'm doing you know some dirty things.

It sounds as though they're extremely jealous and very immature. At that age, a friend of mine was being given top-end PC systems from their dad, who was a programmer for Microsoft (I think I still have one of their dev builds for Windows 95 or 98 lying around). Nobody made fun of them for it - we were into PCs, so we wanted to check it out and play games with it.

I don't know why somebody would react negatively to hearing that your parents bought something expensive for you. When I was in highschool, lots of people had cars, and I bet that a ton of them were bought or owned by their parents. Never heard someone get crap for having a car in highschool.

The whole situation doesn't make a lot of sense, to me. Obviously, they're jealous and spiteful, but I don't know why people would be like that over such a simple detail. Maybe you're telling them about it in a way that sounds condescending? Or maybe they don't have much stuff and resent hearing about it? I dunno, you'll have to think about the situation, since we don't know what your group of friends, their personalities, or their situations in life are like.

Anyway, congrats on the PC, that's sweet.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Jealousy, confusion, annoyance etc...

$5800 for the majority of individuals is A LOT of money - period, and in the context of your families financial status would seem silly to spend said amount on a computer, of all things.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

The reason I get annoyed by kids who got such extravagent things from their parents is mostly because they flaunted it in my face. I'm not saying you do this but most people who accused me of this did that. Like they would say that their parents got them them this super expensive gaming laptop (after they broke their 7700k trying to build a PC with a gtx 1080) and then compare it to my 6600k and rx480 that I spent all of my spring break working hard for. Sure, I get it. His parents are different than mine and my parents would never spend that much for something I ask for unless its like a school trip. But please don't flaunt it in my face that they didn't spend a cent on their expensive gaming setup.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

With that in mind, assuming your parents aren't financially retarded, they'll have made a way to afford it. Let's just hope they didn't sacrifice anything important, or go into debt, to do so.

Sadly they did do that. They sacrificed an oven and they don't even have their own cars. The cars they drive are given to them from work, my dad can go wherever he wants with it but my mother has to get permission if she wants to leave the city with it.

But at the same time, I don't have anything fancy that's not related to my computer. For example, my phone is an old 4S my dad bought in 2013.

Also most people of my age seem to be more interested in other stuff. For example their parents probably spent 700$ on a phone.

My dad paid for my PC. After a while I paid him back. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Sadly they did do that. They sacrificed an oven and they don't even have their own cars. The cars they drive are given to them from work, my dad can go wherever he wants with it but my mother has to get permission if she wants to leave the city with it.

But at the same time, I don't have anything fancy that's not related to my computer. For example, my phone is an old 4S my dad bought in 2013.

Also most people of my age seem to be more interested in other stuff. For example their parents probably spent 700$ on a phone.

Given that, people you tell probably assume you're spoiled. Are you a single child by any chance?

Personally, if it were me, and my parents were forced to make financial sacrifices for a luxury, I would say no. I would ensure they didn't have to give up things like an Oven or a Car to afford it.

At best, if I REALLY wanted it, I would have agreed to pay for half, and agree on a MUCH cheaper system to begin with.

So you're without an oven and cars so you could have a totally unnecessary overkill gaming PC? And your parents paid for all of it when you're struggling financially? And you flaunt it online and to everyone you meet? Of course people will be jealous/angry

That's an F in the profile pic

Well if your parents were sacrificing basic needs such as a car so you could have an overpriced PC, I could see why some people would get mad. Not that I condone it, but to most it seems to be the stereotypical "spoiled brat" case, where the kid gets whatever they want just by asking and flaunts it in other's faces. If you don't do that, then good on you. There's nothing wrong with having a nice build. But when you start bragging about it, it's only logical people are going to start calling you out.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Froody129 said:

So you're without an oven and cars so you could have a totally unnecessary overkill gaming PC? And your parents paid for all of it when you're struggling financially? Of course people will be jealous/angry

Exactly

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Are you a single child by any chance?

Yes, they only have me.

Also this started in PC groups on Facebook. A lot of people post pictures of their rig in there so I did the same, then some people looked at my profile and saw that I'm a teen so they asked me how I got the money so I told them the truth. Some of them understood but quite a few of them started hating me.

If I was truly spoiled I would have lied and told them that I'm rich and stuff like that.

1 minute ago, XCalinX said:

Yes, they only have me.

Also this started in PC groups on Facebook. A lot of people post pictures of their rig in there so I did the same, then some people looked at my profile and saw that I'm a teen so they asked me how I got the money so I told them the truth. Some of them understood but quite a few of them started hating me.

Well, you have to understand what it looks like to them. I would personally have not let my parents do that - I mean, living without an Oven? That really limits the ability to make a lot of culinary things at home.

People who only have one kid tend to spoil their kids a lot more, and tend to give in to their kids demands. I don't know if you "demanded" (or repeatedly begged or asked for) that much money for your computer, or whether they just knew you wanted an expensive computer and willingly volunteered the money, but how you ended up getting the money will definitely impact how people view you individually.

If your parents insisted, and you couldn't change their mind? Well, not your fault. However, if you willingly accepted the money knowing that they were getting rid of their oven and car to pay for it? That - to me - is financially irresponsible. Both for you and your parents.

14 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

4S is still consider a good phone and I bet 99% of the population in your country will not be able to afford a 4s.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, Froody129 said:

I don't think you realise how much you can do with $5800. Like that's beyond a nice PC. It's a LOT of money

You could buy a car for that...

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

6 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

I'm pretty sure most of the things they had when they were 16 were bought with their parents money.

When I was 16 I worked for months and begged my family for money so I could afford a $600 CAD plane ticket to see my friend in the US who fed me while I was there.  Spending the comparative equivalent of the Canadian minimum wage is insane

7 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

give up on other things like cars

And food, if you are actually middle class.  The average income in Romania is RON 69,374, or 16662.45 USD.  Yearly. Net. Income.

http://www.averagesalarysurvey.com/romania

You spent what is equivalent to just about 4 months of the average, full time workers salary on a F***ing pc and expect people to not be a bit pissy about it?  

If both of your parents work full time and both make the national net average income (about RON 140,000 or  $33,625.60 USD) They spent nearly 1/5 their entire combined income on your PC.  

Now make a fair comparison.  1/5 of a two parent household in the US, working full time. The average american wage was $44,569.20 according to CNBC, so lets take off 15% in taxes and double it!  Totaling a nice, solid 75767.64.  Now we take 1/5 of the income of this hypothetical family and if you were American your parents would have spent 15153.528 on a PC.

This is why people get upset folks

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/20/the-average-american-made-446k-last-year.html

28 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

Nothing is wrong with it. Just be grateful that you have such nice parents. 

Read it and weep, this is ludicrously expensive PC in his country

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

6 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I don't think you realise how much you can do with $5800. Like that's beyond a nice PC. It's a LOT of money

Especially when a computer is prioritized over a basic amenity such as a stove that the OP is without.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ