What is so wrong about getting your PC money from parents?

XCalinX

I've posted most of my opinions on this, but can we please take a moment to appreciate the rig at the bottom of OP's sig?

That rig alone is a very high end build that will still last for years...

That's an F in the profile pic

5800$ is probably more than the combined value of both my cars. About a years worth of rent for me. 

Of course, if your parents have a really good income, if they are making well over 6 figures, I see nothing wrong with this. Yes, it's being spoiled, but you can spoil a kid and still instill the value of money on them. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

not much more i can add to this that hasn't already been said. However the fact that you have two PCs one that caused all the previous comments and you're "secondary one" that is still much better than the majority of people who have to buy their own stuff. Also they fact that you're going to give it to your grandparents doesnt matter. why did you need to replace it? It's still a very capable computer. also MAAASSSSSIVE overkill for facebook and general browsing. you need to take a step back and look at what you have from the view of someone who has to work to earn their money. i didn't buy my first computer until i had a job, and i had a well off family in terms of finances i could not imagine asking my parents for anything so expensive without some kind of savings my self.

If you dont want people to ask how you got your computer and dont want to lie. dont post it anywhere. I question the sanity of your parents if they would willingly forgo an oven and cars for such a stupid piece of machinery.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

One thing is bugging me here, and not to be that guy, but that screams pre-built to me. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

15 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

One thing is bugging me here, and not to be that guy, but that screams pre-built to me. 

Nah, I built it myself. I doubt there are pre builts with Caselabs cases :P

5 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

Nah, I built it myself. I doubt there are pre builts with Caselabs cases :P

Well texhnically pre builts don't have to be directly from the shop. :P

Anyway, at least it looks good for $5800. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Oh and here's my name on a piece of paper so that you know that I'm not trolling. I'm sorry about the quality, but like I said my phone is an old 4S and it can't take good pics in the dark (the pics on Facebook are taken with my mom's S6 - also from work)

lneuOhm.jpg

3 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

Oh and here's my name on a piece of paper so that you know that I'm not trolling. I'm sorry about the quality, but like I said my phone is an old 4S and it can't take good pics in the dark (the pics on Facebook are taken with my mom's S6 - also from work)

That doesn't change the fact that you're still trolling (and if you're really not then I feel really bad for you and your family after reading this thread so I hope you are).

-KuJoe

52 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

That doesn't change the fact that you're still trolling (and if you're really not then I feel really bad for you and your family after reading this thread so I hope you are).

I am not trolling, why would I? Like would it make me happier?

And I'm not worried about my future. One of my dad's friends owns a PC company in my city and I'm pretty sure he will hire me when I turn 18, he will come to see my rig when he has time so I'm pretty sure he will want to hire me when he sees it.

Honestly I think almost 6K is overkill. I'm not jealous but the liquid cooling could have waited until you got a job to pay for it. I paid for my own PC build (both the original build and the upgraded one (went from Skylake to Kaby Lake and from a 970 to a 1070))   for the most part (the only things that was bought for me was 1 stick of RAM and the original Wifi card (which I swapped out for a AC card when I went from a N Router to a AC Router)). Most people that I know that have custom PCs and/or Pre-built PCs didn't spend more than $1,000 on them (I know a few that spent $500-700 on them because that is only what their parents bought them or that is what they could afford). I built mine last summer with money from a summer job then I slowly started upgrading it after I got the job I have now in retail back in October up until now. My mom thinks it is stupid that I am pouring money into my PC but my dad thinks it is cool (he used to have a high end PC when I was a kid and my mom hated it).

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

41 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

And I'm not worried about my future. One of my dad's friends owns a PC company in my city and I'm pretty sure he will hire me when I turn 18, he will come to see my rig when he has time so I'm pretty sure he will want to hire me when he sees it.

ahhh you got us all... I wasn't sure if this was a troll thread or no for the past few pages. but now ;)

Lovely rig. enjoy it.

Just to add on what I said before you feel accomplished when you buy stuff yourself with money you work for. This is coming from a guy who used to get most of his electronics as gifts. I work a job making $10 a hour and you start to value money more. When my mom and dad were married and he had his high paying job and my mom had hers before she quit (she had a min. wadge job and it didn't make too much of a difference if she worked anyway) she would waste money and didn't value money like my dad did until they got divorced for other reasons. The reason why? Because her parents made money and she had gotten most of the stuff she wanted (even though she claims they were poor when in reality my grandparents spent money on horses and sheep and other animals for my mom and her siblings). Whereas my dad is more frugal with his money because both his parents were school teachers in Kansas and didn't make that much money (2/3 of Kansas is poor and they lived in that part in the middle of nowhere). So do what you want but eventually, you will value money more when you work for it.

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

49 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

Also keep in mind there is a difference about being good at PCs and knowing at PCs. I wish I still had that link from Reddit that talks about it. Even though I haven't graduated from High School yet (I do in a couple of weeks). I already have a year and 1 1/2 or so of college credit already. Even before that I have been tinkering with PCs both software and hardware since I was 8-9. And I am still teaching my self things now even. Good Luck!!!

Personal Rig:

Linux/test Box:

13" Macbook Air M1:

Home Theater Setup

Other Devices I use:

57 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

What does this "PC Company" do?

Being decent at building a PC, for example, is almost useless when it comes to a PC Repair Shop. Unless they specialize as a Boutique PC Builder, 99% of the work is going to be PC Repairs (both hardware and software).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What does this "PC Company" do?

Being decent at building a PC, for example, is almost useless when it comes to a PC Repair Shop. Unless they specialize as a Boutique PC Builder, 99% of the work is going to be PC Repairs (both hardware and software).

Well, repairs and new builds. I can identify the bad component and in some cases even fix it. Okay, maybe I can't make my own CPU or something crazy like that but I can help people who want a new PC pick the right parts and build it for them. Before I got into PCs, my PC was built by that company and the guy I talked about. When I felt that my PC was slow I would take it there to be upgraded. Now I have grown and I can identify what component is holding me back and upgrade it.

I already started helping friends who aren't into PCs, albeit simple things like helping them install DVD Writers and moving hard drives from old PCs to new ones.

17 minutes ago, XCalinX said:

Well, repairs and new builds. I can identify the bad component and in some cases even fix it. Okay, maybe I can't make my own CPU or something crazy like that but I can help people who want a new PC pick the right parts and build it for them. Before I got into PCs, my PC was built by that company and the guy I talked about. When I felt that my PC was slow I would take it there to be upgraded. Now I have grown and I can identify what component is holding me back and upgrade it.

I already started helping friends who aren't into PCs, albeit simple things like helping them install DVD Writers and moving hard drives from old PCs to new ones.

So you know the extreme basics - that might be enough for a part time summer job there to start. But you've got a LOT to learn, especially about hardware/software repairs.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, XCalinX said:

And here comes being spoiled again. I'm sorry to be so straight forward on saying that. But just because you have build custom rig with custom WC doesn't really mean anything. Most of that stuff is just playing with expensive set of Lego's. Yes, water cooing is bit more advanced than just building, with added risk. So if that company does WC builds, you might have something.

But from sounds of it, seems like another shop aimed for basic stuff and business installs. Nothing wrong there, nor if you happen to get job from there. But just think about this. If you get job from there, is it because owner knows your dad, or because you have some skills? And can you be absolutely certain its just because of your skills? There's nothing wrong with getting job with family relations. But don't expect getting anything handed to you. You might get job, but keeping it for longer than just over summer means you need to do actual work. Not just fun building stuff.

I have got only one job with family relations. And that was 2 weeks trainee position for subject I haven't done since (banking/archiving).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

But from sounds of it, seems like another shop aimed for basic stuff and business installs. Nothing wrong there, nor if you happen to get job from there. But just think about this. If you get job from there, is it because owner knows your dad, or because you have some skills? And can you be absolutely certain its just because of your skills? There's nothing wrong with getting job with family relations. But don't expect getting anything handed to you. You might get job, but keeping it for longer than just over summer means you need to do actual work. Not just fun building stuff.

I'd say it's because of both, I mean if I didn't know anything about PCs he wouldn't consider it, plus he and my dad don't see each other that often, maybe a couple of times a year.

On 2017-5-2 at 4:35 AM, XCalinX said:

Then the people I tell this to get super mad at me and start insulting the crap out of me and some of them even photoshopped pictures of me to make me look like I'm doing you know some dirty things.

That's their stupidness. Ignore them.

It is an expensive purchase....and if what you said is true (your parents gave up their car to buy you this) , then you should reconsider this kind of purchases. 

But one day you will realise this: no matter how you spend your money, people are gonna judge you. It is just that most of the time you just ignore them. 

But seriously though, you probably should not spend that much on a pc, and don't let it become a habit. "I have to get what I want in life" later this kind of mindset is gonna get you in trouble. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Looking at your specs, I have another question: What do you do with it? and more especially, what do you do that you couldn't do with your secondary rig?

[Insert smart comment here]

Honestly, all the hate would stop if you stopped being a show-off, got a job and at least be more humble.

Wanting validation on the internet from an overpriced pc for what your parents spent really says you need a lot of character development. Simply put, if you didn't earn something, the internet doesn't give AF.

I know between money spent on me or my mom, I'd always tell her to keep it because I actually give a shit about someone other than myself. Something this entitled gen is severely lacking. Like seriously, if my spoiled ass would prevent something like transportation, I would deserve all the harsh words if I was okay with it.

29 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

be more humble.

But it's not even just this, he doesn't get it. Of all the replies not once has he said he understands, or acknowledges the reasons why people are upset. He deflects and only responds to a few people that he can possibly justify this to. 

Seriously, the denial this kid shows is crazy. According to him, he's done nothing wrong, there's 0 perspective on the situation.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

But it's not even just this, he doesn't get it. Of all the replies not once has he said he understands, or acknowledges the reasons why people are upset. He deflects and only responds to a few people that he can possibly justify this to. 

Seriously, the denial this kid shows is crazy. According to him, he's done nothing wrong, there's 0 perspective on the situation.

To put things into perspective, I'm 29 and live hundreds of miles away from my mom. I worry about her and know she has little money. Whenever she asks for help, I do so without hesitation and without wanting anything in return.

Even growing up, I always earned what I owned by either doing well in school or working odd jobs to save. A Gameboy paid by my own money was considered a luxury for me. Working for what you want was just how I raised.

This is why I have little tolerance for punkass kids who fail to see the obvious. Always some victim complex and never in the wrong.

On 5/1/2017 at 4:35 PM, XCalinX said:

Hey guys,

-snip-

$5800 is about what all of the computer parts in my own store I took a loan out for are worth. I have 100s of components for laptops and desktops, monitors, cell phone parts etc.

$5800 is more money than you are probably old enough to economically appreciate and comprehend, kiddo. I'd sell that, build a less expensive rig and get an oven, lol.

I'm not surprised a lot of people hate you for your PC, because honestly it's extremely selfish to deprive your parents of the money they could be using to increase your overall QoL.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat this, cause you'll probably eat it if I do (damn, look at those fingers lol, you sure you don't have an oven?), it's extremely immature, selfish, and douchey to go around bragging about that shit. My PC NEW would have been at most $2000 and I built it from used parts for around $300.

I'm 21, own a store, and an apartment in the space above the store, and it cost me $6000 including the loan I took out for it. All of the parts that are in my store I paid for with three jobs myself.

For the cost of your dinky PC you could own a PC store.

Seriously, kid.

Grow a backbone.

On 5/2/2017 at 4:35 AM, XCalinX said:

Hey guys,

I'm almost 16 and I have a 5800$ watercooled rig that I built myself. Most people seem to like it but some of them passionately hate me for one single reason: I got the money for it from my parents.

Initally, they think we're rich but we are not. We have an average income in one of the poorest countries in Europe: Romania. Then I explain that I just wanted this PC so bad and they happened to be friendly enough to give up on other things like cars so that I can afford it. Then the people I tell this to get super mad at me and start insulting the crap out of me and some of them even photoshopped pictures of me to make me look like I'm doing you know some dirty things.

I don't understand why people react like this, it's my parents money, not their money and they are free to do whatever they want with them. I don't judge others based on what they spend their money on (I used to when I was like 11), even though sometimes I really dislike the thing they spent the money on and it kinda pisses me off when I get judged that I bought my PC with my parents money. I'm pretty sure most of the things they had when they were 16 were bought with their parents money.

I just want to know why people think this is wrong, because after I tell them they go full retard instead of explaining why they don't like it.

Why did your parents buy a $5800 USD PC if they are in the middle class?

You should have spent like $1000 USD on a PC tops......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),