What is so wrong about getting your PC money from parents?

XCalinX

$5800 is a lot of money, like, A LOT OF MONEY.

It seems like you're bragging about it, if i'm honest.

I don't know about you dudes, but when i was 16, i bought my first truck, with my own hard work money (if my math is right, it was about ~$2400 a the time, i could be wrong). Now, a few years later, i bought my second vehicle, a Renault Megane, again, with my own money. My PC parts? You've guessed it.

I think its about self value, like "i worked hard for this, i bought this with my own money, i truly earned it" instead of "oh, daddy and mommy gave it to me".

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I got my $1500 pc from hard work and an A average in school.

I5 6600K @ 4.6 Gigahertz
Cryorig H7
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW @ 2 Gigahertz
16 Gigabytes of Corsair Vengence
ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S
Crucial 525 Gigabyte SSD
Hitachi 1 Terabyte Harddrive
NZXT Hue+
NZXT H440
Corsair Rmx 650 Watt Power Supply

At that age, would rather have a car over a expensive PC...a car would be way more useful than a gaming rig anyway. Spending $5800 on a PC when you're 15 is unnecessary. 

I'm sure your parents worked hard for it, not sure about that financial situation with your parents now as it seemed they had to give up a lot to afford $5800 USD with that salary.

I'm thankful that my parents paid for my trips, and part of my old PC. After getting my FX PC, found a job and worked in order to upgrade my PC and to get where I'm at. 

Be thankful for what your parents did, but it seems like you're just bragging about the price and state of living you're in.  

Picture of the PC with a piece of paper in the frame having your username on it or I am calling troll. Until I see that picture you are lying. If you post it and it checks out, then you have my apologies.

Edit: I am 17 and have a 10k car my dad bought me as a birthday present. I come from an upper middle class family (somewhere around 150k a year) here in the US and my parents wouldn't even help pay for my PC. I got a job at a movie theater and am slowly paying for my build while having other expenses such as gas... Etc. Hence why I have a 280x and a 4k monitor (they want to teach me self responsibility so they don't buy me anything other than what I need). Piece by piece over months of time. It's a grind but it's worth it as it is my hobby (borderline obsession). So this is why I am calling BS on a family who probably makes less than half what mine makes a year, and paid for his stupidly excessive build. So either he is lying about his families income or he is lying about the build.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Life is about personal opinions. It's just personal opinions or preference here. Who classifies anything right or wrong anyways? If it upsets you then maybe you should rethink letting your parents shell out that kind of money for a PC. If it doesn't bug you then it's to each their own meaning everyone has their opinions and it's different here from you to another person. 

Honestly surprised this has yet to be locked. OP pretty much asked to be ridiculed and it is definitively happening. Even a few Mods have chimed in (civil of course).

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I believe that, even if it had been your own money, $5800 is WAY too much for a home PC, especially in a developing nation like Romania.  

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

6 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

I believe that, even if it was your own money, $5800 is WAY too much for a home PC, especially in a developing nation like Romania.  

Wasn't his money, it was the parents entirely

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Wasn't his money, it was the parents entirely

Used wrong the wrong tense. fixed

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

3 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

Used wrong the wrong tense. fixed

Yeah, its equivalent to 4 months of working full time at the national average net salary.  It works out to be equivalent to ~15,000 USD if the same proportions of money are used in the US, 20,000 in Canada/Australia etc.

And OP already had a 6700K + 980 ti system

I think we can all agree the OP posted this thread to get a reaction from the people on the forums with common sense, mission accomplished. Can we let this thread die now?

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

Picture of the PC with a piece of paper in the frame having your username on it or I am calling troll. Until I see that picture you are lying. If you post it and it checks out, then you have my apologies.

Calin Strimbu on Facebook. Has a lot of pictures of said build. Like... too many level.

Not detective work, it's in his LTT profile.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

This seems like the OP is just baiting people with this story. It seems that this scenario is unlikely to happen.

Your parents made a huge sacrifice for a luxury purchase.  Either retirement, credit or foregoing other more important purchases.

So you could play video games slightly better.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

The situation seems a little questionable but I mean, that's cool your parents were able to do that for you. I've put in about $800 in my PC. It's been a bit of a challenge to do that because things have been a little tight for us (my mom and I) I have about another $800 to $900 to go. Excluding the build for my grandma, which is an additional $400 or so.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

7 hours ago, XCalinX said:

Then the people I tell this to get super mad at me and start insulting the crap out of me and some of them even photoshopped pictures of me to make me look like I'm doing you know some dirty things.

You make yourself out to be some kind of Saint but you post like a dozen photos that are the exact same (pc shot) or eating out your gpu's.

You are straight up arrogant and abrasive and I'm done with you.  Here is some quality proof. 

Honestly I feel kind of sad for you, there are better more positive ways to get attention than bragging non-stop and then playing the victim when you push it too far.

Spoiler

Scrapbook_1493698262021.png.3257784650cb930c3093662c8406e7db.pngScrapbook_1493698258982.thumb.png.dc4c3d84a04192596de4535972b5b4d0.pngScrapbook_1493698253911.thumb.png.5c506fd6983e26ecb83fdc6a1f985c4e.pngScrapbook_1493698247685.png.c67e7ed6fdcaf9c05334fab629257d7e.pngScrapbook_1493698243960.thumb.png.0d504f67e6a2311447747ced590806d8.png

Because adults with responsibilities that could technically afford things like that go without because it's not a high priority. My PC has a 1060 not because I can't afford better, but because I'm always working and don't use my pc enough to justify a 5k build.

It's cool if you earned it by doing well in school, working around the house ect, but if it were just given to you while they sacrifice, it makes you come off as entitled and that's what gets people pissed.

Wow 5800$ for a PC that you haven't even paid for. 

I read a lot of comments and also some of you, and it seems to me that you (OP) are the average case of an show-off.

I built my 6700K + GTX 1070 build completely myself, and also PAID for it!

(I'm 15 so same range)

But I don't slam it into everyone's face...

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

Fuck bragging , Jealousy will bring out  the worst in people nevertheless , no matter you worked for it or you got it as a gift . Car analogy , everyone's driving a regular car & you go out & buy an off the chart gorgeous looking car & drive around those or got it as an expensive gift from your parents in this case, the first thing that  will go through their minds is they may not be able to afford it  & it's  a status show off etc. etc.   they will surely see it as a inferiority thing & you can expect key marks on the door soon, not because it was the right thing because of childish "if i cant have it then you cant have it or i'll make you feel bad for having it" mentality. F6uJdZE.jpg , Just brush it off . Some would just start acting as if you stole money to make this happen.

Details separate people.

Nothing wrong with getting PC money from your parents, if they can afford it and are willing. Getting your parents to spend $5800 on your PC when diminishing returns are SHARP beyond ~$1500 and you're middle-class at best, that's fucky.

5 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Calin Strimbu on Facebook. Has a lot of pictures of said build. Like... too many level.

Not detective work, it's in his LTT profile.

That.

And will do the piece of paper thing when I get home.

I admit, I posted this thread because I wanted to see how people react but I'm happy that this forum seems to be mature unlike a lot of groups on Facebook.

You're spending 5800$ on a computer, and not even using your own disposable income on it. If I just heard some kid got 5800$ from his parents for a gaming rig my first reaction would be "He's probably a spoiled brat".

They gave up things to give you money for a ridiculously expensive computer? You know why people give you crap? It's because you're spoilt and probably brag about it.

Here's how I see things. Your parents provide you with a home, running water, electricity, food and your education so the least you could do is get a job and pay for your own things. You're 16, you shouldn't be relying on your parents that much anymore.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I am kinda mad at you tbh. Your family doesn't have a lot of money and you just accept a $5800 dollar computer. You could have gotten a GTX1060 and 7700k for way less and give them back their money but no you spent it on useless watercooling and fancy lighting. If you came from a rich family it wouldn't bother me much.

But yeah you already got it now so better enjoy it.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

10 hours ago, XCalinX said:

Well I spent a lot on the watercooling. I didn't buy it all at once, I started buying watercooling parts back in Q3 2014 so 2.5 years ago.

Why don't you put this fact to opening post, or anytime someone asks for price of build? Its two different things when you spend $5k outright or accumulate that over few years. Thats called saving and its common practice for all PC enthusiasts. You could say that you saved for 2,5 years and then build your dream rig. If we assume you got main patch of parts, lets say $2k at once, it wouldn't be so bad. I mean, I think getting that kind of rig from parents without any ifs is still wrong way, but it isn't as bad as saving for $3,8k over 2,5 years. Ok, its still insane amount for just fun build. I will come to that in the end of this post.

11 hours ago, XCalinX said:

If I was truly spoiled I would have lied and told them that I'm rich and stuff like that.

No, you wouldn't. I don't think you understand what being spoiled means. You, as single child, have been raised in environment where you get almost everything you want. If not immediately, then after whining long enough for it. If you weren't spoiled, your parents would have asked you to do something for them. Even common housework. But since you haven't said anything about that, and continue to argue against such practices, I assume your parents come from poor to lower middle class beginnings and now want to give you chance to have things they couldn't as kids. My grandmother does same by giving money (€20-50) everytime any of grand/greatgrand kids visit her.

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

... and his CaseLabs case.

Plus CaseLabs case would have been imported from US.

10 hours ago, XCalinX said:

Also why aren't people pissed at people like Linus, Jay, Paul etc? They got their parts 100% free and no one spent money on them...

Like others said, they run business. And they do something for the parts. Now, their kids are different matter. Jay usually teases and jokes about his daughter (aka Little-Jay) having Titan X and X99 in her PC. But thats mainly because reviewers can't outright sell review samples. So rather than letting those dust in warehouse, they use parts in smaller builds. Still giving manufacturer free advertising by mentioning them time to time. Linus, on the other hand, has clearly said that his kids won't be getting latest iPhones when they come to age. It'll be few gen old ones until they have learned value of money (something you might not have yet) and are able to keep more expensive phones out of harms way.

Now to my own thoughts. I generally don't like when kids get insane builds from their parents. By insane I mean over €2k. Since default for mid-range gaming PC from scratch is €1.5k, €2k limit for pure given builds is just fine. Over that for just gaming, HUGE NO-NO. There are exceptions. Like if you have to do something for those higher end builds.

Main reason why I don't like it, is that A) they usually don't need such. And B) They get skewed sense of value. Like complaining about graphics in games, or saying 1080p isn't enough. Just because they are used to having more than that.

Our first custom PC (pre-build custom which has since been upgraded) was bought because me and my brother were tired of old P2 running Win98. So 2001 my mom gave in and got lower mid-range PC for €1200 (I think). That was last time she fully paid for PC. After that we've had deal where she pays half of price and us, or one of us, the other half. Including phones, laptops and upgrade parts. Our part of price has come from savings accounts and later summer job earnings.

I bought my own full custom PC 2008 with €800. That was about mid-rage, though I did skimp on PSU and mobo, things I wouldn't/won't do again. Money for that came from savings and summer jobs. Later any upgrades done, including 2013 €800 one, have been funded in same fashion. Though I usually budget €200 for yearly upgrades, and more when I'm in need and have extra jobs, there are times when I just need something bigger. And it will have heavy hit on my yearly budget for living. Like getting new laptop for €900.

As you may see, none of my builds have been high on price. And probably won't be for a while. I do have dream of getting custom WC setup in custom case with custom pain job. Which I have named budget of €5k. But that will happen only after I have been in regularly job for year or two.

6 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I think we can all agree the OP posted this thread to get a reaction from the people on the forums with common sense, mission accomplished. Can we let this thread die now?

Now we can. I was sleeping and working, and wouldn't had opportunity to reply.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv